Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 01-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
xxalexmxx8926
That Drummer Boy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS (Red Hot)
Send a message via AIM to xxalexmxx8926
Unhappy Please Help Me! 3.8L Camaro 98

While driving my camaro, there is a sudden loss of power and the car acts as if it ran out of gas (half a tank of fuel). The voltage meter take a sudden dip to the complete red and goes back to high 13's. Then the car shuts down completely. After that the car does not want to start. All the lights turn on, but nothing. The volt gauge reads over 12.4 volts but if I keep trying to start the car, obviously it drains. I have replaced the starter, the alternator, and had the battery charged and checked. Also, i was able to get the car started off a car jump from a cop once only for it to day again after i got home. I went back and turned it on and fired as if nothing happened after a couple of hours. Then checked everything and everything looked fine. Then i noticed the voltage gauge to start creeping low. Then as I rev and let go, the voltage drops below half and then slowly creeps back up. Then i put it into reverse and it dies. This has been my luck! Please help a brother out!

Here is a clip of what it's doing:

Old 01-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Check your plugs/wires. When was your last tune-up?

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
xxalexmxx8926
That Drummer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Check your plugs/wires. When was your last tune-up?
Actually I got all new plugs and wires less than 6 months ago. I'll check my wires again.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
2ssJB
Software Engineer

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to 2ssJB
Man... I had a 97 that did the same thing. It would just die in the middle of the highway after an hour or so of driving. The longer it sat, the longer it would drive for. Didn't make much sense to me or the 4 technicians and the 4k I put down to have it try and be fixed. Eventually I just traded it in, because no one was getting anywhere after changing the spark plugs, batter, fuel injectors, cat, and some other parts I can't remember. I had to argue with the body shop and take time out of work to go and drive it to break it, because they would rive it around the block and say it's "Good to go!".

Good Luck!

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." M. Gandhi
2ssJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
Raven02TA

Drives: 2002 Pontiac Transam. 2004 Tahoe,
Send a message via AIM to Raven02TA
have the alternator tested at autozone/advance. sounds like a charging problem.

Raven02TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
xxalexmxx8926
That Drummer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ssJB View Post
Man... I had a 97 that did the same thing. It would just die in the middle of the highway after an hour or so of driving. The longer it sat, the longer it would drive for. Didn't make much sense to me or the 4 technicians and the 4k I put down to have it try and be fixed. Eventually I just traded it in, because no one was getting anywhere after changing the spark plugs, batter, fuel injectors, cat, and some other parts I can't remember. I had to argue with the body shop and take time out of work to go and drive it to break it, because they would rive it around the block and say it's "Good to go!".

Good Luck!
Yeah, I've changed the Cat converter too. I'm a college student I can't spend a lot of money! :( This is my first car and i've had it for almost 5 years now! There has to be a fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven02TA View Post
have the alternator tested at autozone/advance. sounds like a charging problem.
I bought the alternator at autoparts! and Was tested with a multimeter. I'm afraid to drive the car one block given it could die lol The towing company knows me by name I think haha
Old 01-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
RAYSRT8

Drives: 2011 Challenger SRT8 6.4L 392 Hemi
If the car is dying, but will turn (Crank) back over then I would have the crank sensor checked.

Camaro parts for sale: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152474
RAYSRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
Just thought of something.... is your defrost on? (rear more specifically). I know with mine, my alternator was going bad once and if I turned the rear defrost on (and had the radio and lights on).... it would really pull down the battery.... just a thought
helmincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
sounds like battery isn't holding a charge

just because your battery has 12 volts does not mean it is good. It has to hold voltage under a load as well (such as starting your car).

Take your battery to the parts store and have it checked out again.... make sure you ask for a load test to be done on it.

or if you feel like doing it yourself..... have a buddy try to start the car while you have a volt(multi)meter across the battery.... if it drops to 10volts or lower, you need a new battery.

if it stays good, then let me know and i'll give u more things to check out. lol.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
xxalexmxx8926
That Drummer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray2SS View Post
If the car is dying, but will turn (Crank) back over then I would have the crank sensor checked.
I might have to check this one out, haven't done that. The car dies and won't turn on instantly. But if it just sits there for long enough it will eventually turn over. I did see a copperwire sort of nicked by that sensor, but figured I fixed it by soldering and electrical tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmincamaro View Post
Just thought of something.... is your defrost on? (rear more specifically). I know with mine, my alternator was going bad once and if I turned the rear defrost on (and had the radio and lights on).... it would really pull down the battery.... just a thought

Actually It's not on but that's a strange one lol I've actually had to turn the radio off, the lights and anything i could think of to get enough voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
sounds like battery isn't holding a charge

just because your battery has 12 volts does not mean it is good. It has to hold voltage under a load as well (such as starting your car).

Take your battery to the parts store and have it checked out again.... make sure you ask for a load test to be done on it.

or if you feel like doing it yourself..... have a buddy try to start the car while you have a volt(multi)meter across the battery.... if it drops to 10volts or lower, you need a new battery.

if it stays good, then let me know and i'll give u more things to check out. lol.
That's what I told the autoparts employees. And I demanded i get a new one since it has a warranty. I've had that battery charged many times and they claim it's fine. Running all sorts of tests on it. The warranty will only cover it if the machine claims it's bad, giving them a code.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #11
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxalexmxx8926 View Post
Actually It's not on but that's a strange one lol I've actually had to turn the radio off, the lights and anything i could think of to get enough voltage.

after you say that..... it reminds me of a few years ago when the spark plug wires were going bad.... You said you just replaced them, but I had issues with mine where they'd go bad every 4-5 months.... I went out and bought the best (although more expensive) cables they make.... and they've lasted for 4-5 years now.
helmincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
This sounds just like my 94 Z28 did you happen to add Underdrive pulleys to your car? That was my problem after removing those I was good as new.

Sean
Old 01-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #13
VASCAR2

Drives: 94 Camaro, 10 1LT IBM Camaro
I've heard of wiring connectors shorting out and killing the engine, after the wires cool and contract car will start again. With the way your volt meter is acting it sounds electrical. If it were mine I'd try to look at all the wiring bundle connectors and see if any look loose or have a burnt look or a smell like they have been hot. I've seen problems like this with connectors up under the dash. These kind of problems are very common on cars that have been in water either in flash floods or wrecked where a vehicle landed in a ditch full of water. Unfortunately it takes someone very sharp to trace these problems down and it is usually done through a process of elimination, ie finding system which currently not working (fuel system, charging system, sensor ect)
VASCAR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #14
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmincamaro View Post
after you say that..... it reminds me of a few years ago when the spark plug wires were going bad.... You said you just replaced them, but I had issues with mine where they'd go bad every 4-5 months.... I went out and bought the best (although more expensive) cables they make.... and they've lasted for 4-5 years now.
Good point, I did have a crappy set give out on me pretty fast. And I had similar symptoms. Worth checking again.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, trouble, voltage