Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #29
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
Yes, on a car designed from a sedan, you may expect to see little or no weight change. However, the Camaro is a coupe from the ground up- it is just sharing a wheel base from the platform so I think it might come out lighter- time will tell.
Doesn't really matter if a car is coupe only or not. The problem is side impact and the space between the A- and B-pillars. An over-simplified way to look at it is like this: if you have a sedan (with a B-pillar right in the centre) the doors just kinda tie things together. But with a coupe, the door is now at the centre of the impact zone. It has to take the brunt of it, and then transfer that back to the rest of the car. That takes a fair amount of steel. Further complicating matters is the fact that a coupe door is longer, which means that the whole thing has to be more robust to take the same kind of load as a smaller door would.

I'm sure there are other things going on in the rest of the car too, where physics favour 4 doors over 2, but I'm not knowledgeable about them.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #30
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
well a 6thgen in the 3,400- 3,500 range would be awesome. I would assume it might have less sound deadening material, less weight in general in the interior than a Cadillac. Of course, it might also be longer.
I think you will see the v6 3,400-3,500 lbs and the v8 3,500-3,600 lbs. Taking 300 lbs off the current v8 camaro would be 3560lbs. I don't think they can take off more than 300lbs, but if they manage to pull it off, then lots of respect.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #31
shaffe

Drives: 2012 Focus
cant wait to see the ATS in person. Form the pics its looks absolutely killer
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #32
Icefsh

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS M6
Sounds like something I would be interested in. But, I wonder if they are going to come out with an ATS-V. That would be awesome! What engine would it have? Maybe the LS3 or Turbo V-6? Hopefully it happens!
Icefsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #33
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy/2007 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefsh View Post
Sounds like something I would be interested in. But, I wonder if they are going to come out with an ATS-V. That would be awesome! What engine would it have? Maybe the LS3 or Turbo V-6? Hopefully it happens!
ATS-V is on the way.

LS-series engines are dead.

It will have either a TTV6 or a Gen V V8. The decision has been made, just not revealed to anyone outside engineering.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #34
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
It will have either a TTV6 or a Gen V V8. The decision has been made, just not revealed to anyone outside engineering.
Is it odd that I am VERY excited to hear everything about the Gen V engines?

ShnOmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #35
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'm going to stick by what I've been saying since forever about the ATS...."If you want a hint at the next Camaro's performance, pay close attention to the evolving ATS lineup".

But....now I'll add a caveat....The Alpha platform is highly flexible. In order to design the next Camaro the way it NEEDS to be designed, the car may end up being a little larger than this ATS. Which - isn't necessarily a bad thing, imo. I like a little room to move my elbows.

...But that means it may be a little heavier than people are hoping.

Certainly - nobody should be expecting a next-gen V8 Camaro to weigh 3300 lbs.........At least, I hope nobodies expecting that.....
Old 07-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #36
cbass

Quote:
Certainly - nobody should be expecting a next-gen V8 Camaro to weigh 3300 lbs.........At least, I hope nobodies expecting that.....
I not only expect it. I demand it! Just kidding.

Honestly, I was always amazed with the Monte Carlo they used to produce. The 5.3L V8 weighted 3395 lbs and that was a big, roomy car.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #37
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
I not only expect it. I demand it! Just kidding.

Honestly, I was always amazed with the Monte Carlo they used to produce. The 5.3L V8 weighted 3395 lbs and that was a big, roomy car.
The more recent one? FWD, right? I never payed real close attention to the Monte Carlo's for some reason...
Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #38
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy/2007 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Except the transmission in the LS4 W-bodies wasn't exactly very capable of handling the LS4's power...

Whoops.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #39
cbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The more recent one? FWD, right? I never payed real close attention to the Monte Carlo's for some reason...
Yes. The last one produced was in 2007and the 5.3L V8 version with an auto transmission weighed in at 3395 lbs.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #40
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:

Naaa...but I still say a V6 could definitely be in the 3,4xx range and the SS in the 3,5xx range.

That would be a sweet improvement! Sounds like Ford will be shooting for a number a bit lower than that in their next gen though which could give them a bit of a handling advantage......but its wayy to early to begin comparing cars that don't exist lol.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #41
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Naaa...but I still say a V6 could definitely be in the 3,4xx range and the SS in the 3,5xx range.

That would be a nice improvement! Sounds like Ford will be shooting for a number a bit lower than that in their next gen though which could give them a bit of a handling advantage......but its wayy to early to begin comparing cars that don't exist lol.
I still think that's a bit optimistic...and the only reason I say that is because Chevy likes to over-build things and build balanced cars.

Take the SS, for example...there wasn't a significant reason to standard-equip Brembo 4-piston brakes on all four corners except to "do it right". That added a few pounds....

I don't suppose this is a guessing game...but Cadillac says the ATS auto V6 weighs 3461 lbs. It already has the Brembo brakes....so let's assume, based off the Camaro numbers, that adding a V8 and the associated beefier components would add 150 lbs...that would peg an SS auto at 3611 - That's assuming that they're the same sized vehicle...and I'm suggesting the Camaro could be slightly larger...)
Old 07-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #42
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
I still think that's a bit optimistic...and the only reason I say that is because Chevy likes to over-build things and build balanced cars.

Take the SS, for example...there wasn't a significant reason to standard-equip Brembo 4-piston brakes on all four corners except to "do it right". That added a few pounds....

I don't suppose this is a guessing game...but Cadillac says the ATS auto V6 weighs 3461 lbs. It already has the Brembo brakes....so let's assume, based off the Camaro numbers, that adding a V8 and the associated beefier components would add 150 lbs...that would peg an SS auto at 3611 - That's assuming that they're the same sized vehicle...and I'm suggesting the Camaro could be slightly larger...)
A couple inches here or there may be okay, but I don't understand how or why the Camaro would need to be bigger than a luxury sedan even it is a "compact" (I'm somewhat confused when you guys say bigger by the way, do you mean wheelbase or exterior sheet metal?) Weight for drivetrain and reigning that power in are DEFINITELY understandable, but saying it needs to be bigger to be bigger is something I hope GM will avoid.