Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-22-2021, 01:11 PM   #1
SSFury
My Road Rage is Legendary

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS "Fury"
Stand Alone Injectors

So I was running a Vararam Cold Air Intake, Borla ATAK Exhaust, and Kooks Long Tube Headers. Sounded amazing.

I just got done installing a Night Fury cam. (Not the best for Power, I get it.. I chose it for the sound) Tuned everything up, and felt a very noticeable power increase. It is fun to drive again!

For the record, I was told by the wife "No new projects" for awhile. Yeah yeah.. I hear ya.

But when I CAN start spending money again..

I've started looking at the Injectors. The stock injectors are 39 pounds flow rate.

I can get 65 pounds for roughly $500. I acknowledge to get the benefit of them, the car would have to be tuned. I guess where my questions come in, is would the stock fuel pump handle the increased flow rate, or would the pump have to be upgraded?

And of course along with more fuel, it would need more air. Could a tune handle that, or would it need a larger Throttle Body, and hopefully not, an upgraded Air Manifold?

I'm trying to find power adders that don't cost a fortune. Thanks in advance for assistance.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:45 PM   #2
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
You won't see power gains from bigger injectors unless you are currently limiting the tune to account for a lack of fuel at the injectors. I have a 2011 with a 416 and a decent cam still on the stock injectors and pump, but it is probably at the limits. From what I've read, stock pump and injectors are limited to about 500whp which is where my vert is at.

Now if you go FI, that is a whole other story.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:22 PM   #3
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I still have stock throttle body, intake, bottom end, and heads with FIC 1000 injectors and ZL1 pump it put down 600rwhp, then I went crazy with it lol.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:46 PM   #4
SSFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
I still have stock throttle body, intake, bottom end, and heads with FIC 1000 injectors and ZL1 pump it put down 600rwhp, then I went crazy with it lol.
So your saying to upgrade the injectors, you did need to upgrade the fuel pump. How hard of a job is that? Never done any research into the fuel pump yet. You went with 1000 injectors.. damn. But you saying the stock air intake system could handle that massive amount of fuel is good to hear.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:56 PM   #5
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSFury View Post
So your saying to upgrade the injectors, you did need to upgrade the fuel pump. How hard of a job is that? Never done any research into the fuel pump yet. You went with 1000 injectors.. damn. But you saying the stock air intake system could handle that massive amount of fuel is good to hear.
The stock manifold, heads, and throttle body flow excellent. I added a CAI then went FI. I have the ZL1 fuel pump with the DSX auxiliary pump that kicks in at 2lbs of boost. The FIC 1000 injectors are still not maxed out yet. I could easily get 900-1000 crank out of it but I would need to build the bottom end first. I'm really past the safe zone with current power level.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:59 PM   #6
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Check out my build thread in the journals section for my fuel pump hidden door.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:01 PM   #7
SSFury

Very nice!! I'm a retired AF Sheet Metal guy, so I was already planning on doing the exact same thing. Very nice!! Almost like it should have been designed that way. Do you happen to have the dimensions for the cut out? If not, no worries. But yes, that looks amazing.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:17 PM   #8
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

I believe the trap door dimension was 9"x9". The hole was slightly smaller. I got the door kit from Grainger for about $45 or so.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:39 PM   #9
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Trap door is by far the easiest. Check out my build thread. I show you exactly how i did it. Towards the end of the thread
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:40 PM   #10
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568830
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:40 PM   #11
Car Nation Videos
YouTube-Car Nation Videos

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro
I would like to offer my opinion.

If your wanting upgrade injectors then you have to upgrade the fuel pump. You could put a ZL1 fuel pump in it with ZL1 injectors or the ID1050’s and of course you would need to tune it.

Yes the stock air intake is fine because the tuner can adjust air fuel ratios based off the extra fuel.

I think the “ID-1050” injectors with a ZL1 fuel pump and a tune is what you’re looking for. Easy project that you can do yourself.

Of course if you are gonna do a fuel upgrade then you gotta get the flex fuel sensor so you can run E85 and get that additional 40 hp.
Car Nation Videos is offline   Reply With Quote