Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #197
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
A Twin Turbo V6 is nice but I would much rather see a naturally aspired V8 in the 5th Gen Z28. I'm thinking a Gen V direct injection, 11:1 compression 5.3 liter or there is also a 5.7 liter for nostalgia. We don't need no fancy hoods, no fancy fascias... just the basics. This is all the Z28 needs to be on the outside, the real magic is under the hood and tied into the chassis...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCarEnthusiast View Post
"We don't need no fancy hoods, no fancy fascias... just the basics. This is all the Z28 needs to be on the outside"

This Camaro has a ground treatment package on it. Plus it has been lowered. I think you are getting ahead of yourself and want to have a no thrill Camaro with a deck out one that is pictured above. I sure you want to have not only a fast, light weight Camaro but a super looker on top of it all. I aim to guess that looks are more important then the weight and performance. I think you and I deep inside know that looks is what it is all about even if you will not admit it here.
I don't think looks is a priority with a potential Z/28 either since the car's design can stand on it's own. The original Z was never about looks and half of them had very few comfort or convenience options. Z/28's were base cars (flat hoods, no spoilers) with performance parts and Z/28 only rally stripes.

If the ZL1 is for those who want a loaded car, it doesn't make sense to make the Z the same product but with a different name. Priority number one for the Z - beat the Boss in all performance categories. Looks can be an exclusive stripe package or paint.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #198
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
This thing has Z28 written all over it.

I do like the front nose on the Jay Leno car and believe it would be great to brake vents where the fog lights are and also to have the functional side scoops.

Quote:
Old 05-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #199
SuperCarEnthusiast

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I don't think looks is a priority with a potential Z/28 either since the car's design can stand on it's own. The original Z was never about looks and half of them had very few comfort or convenience options. Z/28's were base cars (flat hoods, no spoilers) with performance parts and Z/28 only rally stripes.

If the ZL1 is for those who want a loaded car, it doesn't make sense to make the Z the same product but with a different name. Priority number one for the Z - beat the Boss in all performance categories. Looks can be an exclusive stripe package or paint.
Since the ZL1 has the biggest engine in the Camaro; maybe Chevrolet will have a stripped down version of it maybe called the ZL1-R that has no -nothing in it! No heater, fancy suspension, radio, airbags with a metal interior, etc... to be run only on the track and is reinforced for crashes. Now a days; without the airbags installed; it not a street legal car!

The Z28 will be for those who like to have turbo power, nimble and nice looks, comfort and good gas mileage and like the look of the Jay Leno Camaro.

I would be in favorite of that!

SuperCarEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #200
Hylton

Quote:
The Z28 will be for those who like to have turbo power, nimble and nice looks, comfort and good gas mileage and like the look of the Jay Leno Camaro.

I would be in favorite of that!

I like the Leno car as well but there would be a serious outcry if the Z shows up with a 6 banger in it.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #201
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:

I agree with most of what you're saying other than spoilers were available early on with the first gen. Zs and the cowl induction hood was available in 69. Overall the first gen Z/28 was all about performance, from the engine package to the suspension package. I'm so tired of people bringing up 6 cylinder variations for a new Z/28 that I could . Make the new Z/28 with a NA V8 and leave the 6cyl engines out of the equation (I'll be polite and not say what I really think).
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #202
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
I agree with most of what you're saying other than spoilers were available early on with the first gen. Zs
Not until mid '68 and even then, they were an option until May of '69 when they became standard on the Z.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
and the cowl induction hood was available in 69.
Sure but not before January of '69 and even then, it was rarely ordered. Became standard on the Z in fall of '69 when the model was on the way out.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #203
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Not until mid '68 and even then, they were an option until May of '69 when they became standard on the Z.

Sure but not before January of '69 and even then, it was rarely ordered. Became standard on the Z in fall of '69 when the model was on the way out.
The spoilers were available from Nov./Dec. 1966 though they were not part of the Z/28 package at that point. Cowl induction hoods rarely ordered?? I don't know where you lived, but in the Richmond, VA area the ZL2 Special Ducted Hood was ordered in large numbers after it's release in Dec. '68, a trip to any of the Chevy dealers around town had ZL2 hoods about 2 to 1 over regular hoods.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #204
Camaroshark

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
Different front fascia
Ground effect kit
Different rear spoiler (larger)
Z28 badging
Move fog lamps to center of front fascia, make them larger in diameter, round.
Vents in front air dam directing air to brake cooling system.
Standard Cold Air Intake system
Beefier exhaust standard
special steering wheel (The ZL1 wheel looks like a re-badged Cobalt wheel... it's awful)... reminds me of those god awful bubble buttons of the 80's.
Bolt ons to take the car to 475hp as a standard for the z28 package
Beefier suspension with strut tower brace front and rear

Price point between SS and ZL1
Camaroshark is offline   Reply With Quote