Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-18-2018, 07:20 AM   #57
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
So, just to add another component to think about here - if there is a buildup of pressure in the clutch hydraulic system, as the TSB suggests may occur and lead to the slave failing, wouldn't that pressure push the master back far enough to expose the compensation port. If they are suggesting that over-pressure is strong enough to over-travel then slave, then it should easily be able to push the master back all the way and open the port. It's ridiculous, I think that's a none issue. Now, I run mine without the OE spring, and with a very light return spring just as a precaution, but really don't see how enough pressure could exist to hurt the slave, but wouldn't push the master open all the way to expose that port.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:48 PM   #58
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
So, just to add another component to think about here - if there is a buildup of pressure in the clutch hydraulic system, as the TSB suggests may occur and lead to the slave failing, wouldn't that pressure push the master back far enough to expose the compensation port. If they are suggesting that over-pressure is strong enough to over-travel then slave, then it should easily be able to push the master back all the way and open the port. It's ridiculous, I think that's a none issue. Now, I run mine without the OE spring, and with a very light return spring just as a precaution, but really don't see how enough pressure could exist to hurt the slave, but wouldn't push the master open all the way to expose that port.
I am going to put on a light spring like you put on too, just to bring the pedal all the way up. What spring did you use?
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:10 AM   #59
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz430camaro View Post
I am going to put on a light spring like you put on too, just to bring the pedal all the way up. What spring did you use?
It's a $2 spring from Home Depot, and EverBilt extension spring - 2.5"x0.312"x0.023". I very simply hooked it around the back of the clutch pedal and then up to a spot by the OBDII connector. It's a very light spring, but it gives me a little peace of mind that the compensation port will always be open.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:23 AM   #60
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
It's a $2 spring from Home Depot, and EverBilt extension spring - 2.5"x0.312"x0.023". I very simply hooked it around the back of the clutch pedal and then up to a spot by the OBDII connector. It's a very light spring, but it gives me a little peace of mind that the compensation port will always be open.
Brilliant
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:29 AM   #61
zz430camaro

Quote:
I got it and put it in, its just enough force to keep the pedal all the way up but not add anything you can feel. Worked great! Feel better that the spring is on there and Im not just relying on the cylinder to hold it up.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:27 PM   #62
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
I got it and put it in, its just enough force to keep the pedal all the way up but not add anything you can feel. Worked great! Feel better that the spring is on there and Im not just relying on the cylinder to hold it up.
What clutch do you have? Any change in pedal depression effort?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:40 PM   #63
zz430camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
What clutch do you have? Any change in pedal depression effort?
I have the factory LS3 clutch. I took out the factory spring and the pedal felt different and got just a tad harder but just barely. Put in the extensions spring like I talked about and you cant feel any difference. Clutch pedal feels great!
Old 10-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #64
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
So I had removed that over spring a year or so ago, and now just a few days ago installed a ZL1 clutch pedal with it's over spring and return spring. I gotta say I like it better than the pedal with no springs. Anyone know if the over spring on a ZL1 pedal assembly is different from the SS?
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #65
zz430camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
So I had removed that over spring a year or so ago, and now just a few days ago installed a ZL1 clutch pedal with it's over spring and return spring. I gotta say I like it better than the pedal with no springs. Anyone know if the over spring on a ZL1 pedal assembly is different from the SS?
I have no idea, why did you switch the pedals?
Old 10-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #66
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
I have no idea, why did you switch the pedals?
Thought I'd give it a shot because it's got a return spring from the factory and to put a newer master cylinder in. So far so good. It might be me but I think it shifts better and the pedal feels more linear than the old one.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #67
zz430camaro

Quote:
Thought I'd give it a shot because it's got a return spring from the factory and to put a newer master cylinder in. So far so good. It might be me but I think it shifts better and the pedal feels more linear than the old one.
Interesting, never knew there was a difference.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:47 AM   #68
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Sweet - it's perfect in my opinion, super light, just enough to make sure that pedal is 100% traveled up and keep the compensation port fully open. I'm not convinced it's needed, but it's one less thing I have to wonder about! And it's a LOT cheaper than buying a spring from Lingenfelter!
Old 10-22-2018, 07:49 AM   #69
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
I don't know what the difference is - but I believe it's definitely different. I wheel my buddies ZL1 once and a while, and his clutch has always had less of that cam-over sensation. It's not dead linear like mine is with no spring, but it's a lot closer!
Old 10-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #70
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
After reading this thread I tested the difference before and after.
Finally, I found out what bothered me about clutch control!!!
This suddenly runs beautifully and smoothly

I'm not surprised why cars have a clutch problem when GM engineers put such nonsense in their cars.

A spring that pushes the clutch into the floor
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wrong subforum