Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-06-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
anthony.martinez

Drives: 2010
Headers

Well after much thought, I believe that I will be purchasing a set of shorties for my ride. I have decided on the dirty hookers!!! I know this might bring feed back of loosing hp or lt are better. But after all the work I have done with the starter and heat soak issue. I believe this is the better route. I have done the ground thing and grounded the ground and everything else. I am tired of having to fight it. I do believe that it is a heat soak issue bc i can put my sprinkler under my starter after a drive and it spins my engine easier than if I do not.
Does anyone have these headers? If so what is the outlet diameter? I will have a set of lt hanging on the wall for a while...
anthony.martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #2
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
IMHO, you are far better off with long tubes , hi flow cats, and a tune . No one I know has starter heat soak problems with long tubes. I live in Phoenix and it doesn't get hotter most any where in the country and we have no starter problems here. My guess is you need a new OEM starter . If you buy shorties , you will be disappointed .
Old 09-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #3
anthony.martinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
IMHO, you are far better off with long tubes , hi flow cats, and a tune . No one I know has starter heat soak problems with long tubes. I live in Phoenix and it doesn't get hotter most any where in the country and we have no starter problems here. My guess is you need a new OEM starter . If you buy shorties , you will be disappointed .
Texas is pretty hot. Been over 100 for quite a while now
I have 3 oe starters, 1 aftermarket, 1 msd starter. (they are all fairly new and for sale now)
not sure if I will miss maybe 5-10hp. (if that)
I don't have hf cats and never will.
I do have a tune by one of the best! (Well in Texas at least)
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #4
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I would argue ceramic coated long tube headers before shorty headers. However, since you're dead at on what you're wanting I'll say that I ran BBK shorty headers before my long tubes and sold them to a friend and fellow forum member who ran them for a couple years. They're good headers and fit well.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #5
anthony.martinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
I would argue ceramic coated long tube headers before shorty headers. However, since you're dead at on what you're wanting I'll say that I ran BBK shorty headers before my long tubes and sold them to a friend and fellow forum member who ran them for a couple years. They're good headers and fit well.
They are coated. And my charging system is working perfectly. I looked at the BBK's they look good!!!
Old 09-06-2019, 04:22 PM   #6
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Why are you not going with longtubes? What logical reason can you give us?

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:30 PM   #7
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony.martinez View Post
They are coated. And my charging system is working perfectly. I looked at the BBK's they look good!!!
You have ceramic coated long tube headers already? Believe it or not I had more starter issues with shorty headers than I've had with long tubes. Apparently there's some vehicles that are more prone than others to starter heat soak. My first tuner had a C6 Z06 that he ceramic coated his headers, heat wrapped them, and even with stock manifolds still had some starter heat soak issues. He said that he saw it on occasion, but not regularly. I'd still recommend quality ceramic coated, long tube headers. But my BBK shorty headers stood up to 30k miles of use and while they weren't ceramic coated so they looked a little "loved", they still functioned very well.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:32 PM   #8
anthony.martinez

I have long tubes now. I am pretty sure that the starter is getting heat soaked from them for some reason. This isnt a new problem, It is one that I have dealt with for a while. I really dont think the lt will make a huge difference in power.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #9
anthony.martinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
You have ceramic coated long tube headers already? Believe it or not I had more starter issues with shorty headers than I've had with long tubes. Apparently there's some vehicles that are more prone than others to starter heat soak. My first tuner had a C6 Z06 that he ceramic coated his headers, heat wrapped them, and even with stock manifolds still had some starter heat soak issues. He said that he saw it on occasion, but not regularly. I'd still recommend quality ceramic coated, long tube headers. But my BBK shorty headers stood up to 30k miles of use and while they weren't ceramic coated so they looked a little "loved", they still functioned very well.
Dang that would suck if I created a worse problem...ha
Old 09-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I have a stroker and had heat problems, my solution was my torque master starter in my sig and I talked another member in a fairly recent thread to try it and it solved his heat stroke also...…….And yes tried everything short of it with crap ideas and another new stock POS starter...…….. I don't have heat stroke anymore... And it just took the starter having more torque..... what you do for hot rod engines.....old school. Powermaster xs torque 9509...…….. worth every cent and it only costs the stock price.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:56 AM   #11
GONIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony.martinez View Post
Texas is pretty hot. Been over 100 for quite a while now
I have 3 oe starters, 1 aftermarket, 1 msd starter. (they are all fairly new and for sale now)
not sure if I will miss maybe 5-10hp. (if that)
I don't have hf cats and never will.
I do have a tune by one of the best! (Well in Texas at least)
100 degrees , hell we sweat hotter than 100 here in Phoenix . No one I ever heard of here in Phoenix has had starter problems with headers that I know of .You have a very strange problem .What brand of headers do you currently have ? My 2014 has un coated SW headers and HF cats and have never had an issue with it . FYI we start out the day at 830 am here at 99 to 100 degrees in the summer ,and we bake at 112 to 118 every summer here in Phoenix .
Old 09-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #12
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
100 degrees , hell we sweat hotter than 100 here in Phoenix . No one I ever heard of here in Phoenix has had starter problems with headers that I know of .You have a very strange problem .What brand of headers do you currently have ? My 2014 has un coated SW headers and HF cats and have never had an issue with it . FYI we start out the day at 830 am here at 99 to 100 degrees in the summer ,and we bake at 112 to 118 every summer here in Phoenix .

Yeah, but it’s a dry heat.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #13
GONIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
Yeah, but it’s a dry heat.
Interestingly enough ,it's no longer a dry heat .With all the lawns, pools ,golf crosses being watered and all the cement and chip seal roads and the fact that population growth has exploded in Maricopa county ( fastest growing county in the USA) We have lots of humidity to go with the extreme heat. And the traffic here is totally insane. Summers here are pure hell. My electric bill was $405.00 last month ,and I keep the t stat at 76 . Until you spend a summer in Phoenix you can't truly understand how hot it gets.
No doubt Alabama has more humidity , and im sure summers there are no pick nick.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:41 PM   #14
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Interestingly enough ,it's no longer a dry heat .With all the lawns, pools ,golf crosses being watered and all the cement and chip seal roads and the fact that population growth has exploded in Maricopa county ( fastest growing county in the USA) We have lots of humidity to go with the extreme heat. And the traffic here is totally insane. Summers here are pure hell. My electric bill was $405.00 last month ,and I keep the t stat at 76 . Until you spend a summer in Phoenix you can't truly understand how hot it gets.
No doubt Alabama has more humidity , and im sure summers there are no pick nick.
Anytime someone says it’s hot in Arizona it’s just mandatory some else has to say but it’s a dry heat. LOL..

I’ve been to a few places that make Phoenix feel like the North Pole. You’ll never hear me complain about the heat again. I hate the cold. Wish I could live in Arizona..
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote