Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
Master Shake

Drives: Camaro LS
Car won't start - has full battery power

Hello,

First off, I tried searching but couldn't find a solution. Please move my thread if this is a duplicate.

2010 Camaro LS Auto. The car shut off on its own right when I got into my garage. Now I cannot start the car. It does not click or make any sounds, just nothing when I turn the key to start.

The immobilizer light does not stay on more than 5 seconds when I take the key out and reinsert, and all power seems to work (radio, windows, headlights, etc.).

If I remove the key from the ignition and open the door, ther inside beeper/tone beeps as if it thinks the key is still in the ignition. Both keyfobs (the primary and a backup) have no effect with the buttons (unlock/lock/trunk/horn).

I have disconnected the battery for 5 minutes and reconnected it, but it does not seem to help.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can check? I would hate to have to get a tow to the dealer just to find out I have a bad fuse or there is some sort of manual reset feature I can do myself.

BTW: I checked a few of the obvious fuses, such as the starter, but I don't know which other fuses might be affected.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
Stecky

Drives: 0000
Stick or Auto
Stecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
Master Shake

Auto.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
Stecky

Drives: 0000
Did you moving it to neutral?
Stecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
13FastBlkSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Have you checked the battery ground in the trunk? I had a similar situation a few months ago and it turned out it was a bad ground.

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/Magnuson TVS2300, ZL1 Fuelpump / ADM FPCM, NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, OEM 1LE Front Splitter, AAC Ghosted Side Markers, Dropped on BMR Split Drop Springs
Build#24869
13FastBlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #6
Master Shake

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I tried moving it to neutral but it had no effect. I checked the battery ground at the battery (in the trunk) and it seems to be OK -- meaning it looks connected and no corrosion. Everything else electrical seems to be working (radio, windows, headlights), so I think it is connected but I don't know how to tell if it is shorting or lose, etc.

I tried a reprogram of the key, per the instructions I saw in the owners manual. After the 15 minute wait, it did a strange light show on the dash (flashing and clicking, etc for about 30 seconds), and now the door locks work from the keyfob buttons.

I tried to start the car and now it clicks, as if the battery is low. I then tried to jump it from another car and my car went into immobilize mode -- the security icon on the dash (tach side) stays on continuously now. I am trying another 15 minute wait, per the owners manual.

Not sure if this is progress or not, but I think the keyfob is working now. The spare still doesn't work, so I will try to reprogram that as well. Maybe the car itself lost or reset its code?
Old 10-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
Master Shake

and we're back...

I did another reprogram and left the jumper cables on at the same time, hoping it might help recharge the battery somewhat.

After the reprogram, the immobilize light went off and the car started again. YAY!

I'm off to get the battery checked out. Hopefully, that is all that happened here.

For anyone else who might need the info, this is what I did to reprogram the key fob. I am not sure if this is officially supported by GM or not, but it seemed to help me in my case.

Insert the key+fob, turn to ON position, let sit for 15 minutes (yes, the car will beep the chime the entire time). Turn to ACC position and wait for a few seconds. It was at this point that the dash lights flickered on and off for about 30 seconds -- I am not sure why that happened, but I am *assuming* it had something to do with reprogramming. There was also a clicking type noise coming from the dash during this 30 seconds. Remove key, wait 5 seconds or so, and reinsert key. Start car.

Like I said above, my first attempt resulted in a immobilize icon on the panel. I did a 2nd reset which cleared the immobilize icon and got my car to start again.

Not sure why any of this happened though. Hopefully it is just a failing car battery, since it is about 4 years old now and still the factory original.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:28 AM   #8
anthony.martinez

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
and we're back...

I did another reprogram and left the jumper cables on at the same time, hoping it might help recharge the battery somewhat.

After the reprogram, the immobilize light went off and the car started again. YAY!

I'm off to get the battery checked out. Hopefully, that is all that happened here.

For anyone else who might need the info, this is what I did to reprogram the key fob. I am not sure if this is officially supported by GM or not, but it seemed to help me in my case.

Insert the key+fob, turn to ON position, let sit for 15 minutes (yes, the car will beep the chime the entire time). Turn to ACC position and wait for a few seconds. It was at this point that the dash lights flickered on and off for about 30 seconds -- I am not sure why that happened, but I am *assuming* it had something to do with reprogramming. There was also a clicking type noise coming from the dash during this 30 seconds. Remove key, wait 5 seconds or so, and reinsert key. Start car.

Like I said above, my first attempt resulted in a immobilize icon on the panel. I did a 2nd reset which cleared the immobilize icon and got my car to start again.

Not sure why any of this happened though. Hopefully it is just a failing car battery, since it is about 4 years old now and still the factory original.
I hope that this works because the exact thing just happened to me.
anthony.martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #9
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Get a socket and a breaker bar or large ratchet and see if the engine will turn over by hand. Start there.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #10
anthony.martinez

My starter isn't engaging. I last drove the car 2 nights ago and luckily the problem happened at my house. I can use a crank jumper switch to see what happens at the starter.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #11
G8One2

If your engine is siezed, you'll just burn up your starter trying to get it to crank.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #12
G8One2

Nvm I mis understood what you meant. My bad
Old 10-16-2019, 01:34 PM   #13
anthony.martinez

Well, I went home for lunch decided to try again. Bam it cranked and turned on. So I tried it a few times with success and I drove to work and killed it. Guess what, it doesn't crank again I guess the car will be staying here overnight.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:56 PM   #14
anthony.martinez

U100

Tags
start remote keyfob