Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 09-04-2020, 04:21 PM   #71
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Just ordered a Dart LSNext 427 with Frankenstein M311 heads. Planning on replacing the F1C head unit with an F1X. Kicked around the idea of going twin turbos but I’m already blowing my budget on the new engine and transmission. Cage will be going in sometime this winter, just depends when my fabricator finishes his other projects. Going with a 8.50 with swing outs. Also if you are reading this and thinking about a fuel system just get a triple pump, I’m going to have to pull my fuel pump back out to add a 3rd pump. Just spend the extra money, you’re going to need it eventually I promise.
Neumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:43 PM   #72
Neumatic

Really need to update this with some pictures, just not right now lol. Got my 427 and have been working on switching everything over from the LS3. Steam vents is all I got left to do as far as on the engine. Got some small things to button up in the engine bay before I put the engine down there in my way.

Discovered the LS3 sheered the crank pin which led to the all the carnage including breaking a chunk of the snout off. So lesson learned, double pin your crank if you’re planning on getting a little wild with a F1. A
Old 01-16-2021, 05:47 AM   #73
Neumatic

Heres some pictures of the car currently and the carnage on the hub and crank.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2021, 06:03 AM   #74
Neumatic

LS Next 427 finally made it in last month. If I was smart when I ordered the engine I would have had them double keyway the crank but I wasn't so I drilled a pin into it for good measure. Got most everything swapped over to the 427 from my LS3. Accidently bent my engine stand when I torqued the crank bolt, should have hooked the cherry picker up for some extra support. 12k engine, 10 cent engine stand Current project is plumbing the steam ports, thats really the last thing I need to do to the engine before I drop it back in the car. Before I install the engine I am going to run a -10 feed line and then use my -8 feed line as my return, it'll be easier to run all that without the engine in my way.

I didn't take a picture of it but I got a girdle for the oil pump pickup tube. Definitely like it a lot better than just using the single bolt. I found my o-ring on the LS3 was pinched when I was tearing everything apart.

Don't mind the rusted flywheel, its a spare stock flywheel thats been laying in the shop for 7 or 8 years, I didn't want to mess around and lose the spacers on the one I use in the car.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2021, 06:24 AM   #75
Neumatic

Rollcage tubing came in as well, still waiting on my fabricator to have the time to install it for me. Also heres a random picture of my rear suspension, didn't realize I never posted a picture of it after I installed the 9" and 15in conversion. Got a picture of the car at the track, next pass is when all the crank carnage ensued. Also some pictures of the Weld RTS 76 15" beadlocks with Hoosier QTP's, don't mind the mud or my awesome neighbor lady cleaning grass clippings off her mower.

Attached Images

Old 01-23-2021, 02:25 PM   #76
Neumatic

Got my -10an feed line ran, moved my flex fuel sensor to the feed side with a mount that’s supposed to flow -10an. Just need to extend my flex fuel wiring to reach the new location. Sent my fuel pump back to Fore to get a third pump installed. Also installed offset bushings on the differential today, no idea why I didn’t put them in when I put the whole rearend together, I’ve had them sitting in the shop the whole time. I haven’t set it down with any weight on the rear end yet but it looks like the axle geometry will be a lot better. Should be able to get the engine set down in the car tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:08 PM   #77
Neumatic

Got the 427 set down in the car last night. Now its just a matter of hooking everything backup and not forgetting anything.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2021, 11:23 PM   #78
Neumatic

Well its been a while since I updated any of this. Not long after getting the 427 dropped into the car I pulled the interior out and sent the car to have the cage welded in. Got the car back just in time for me to start work for the year. It's been slow progress since then as I have been extremely busy. I now have the interior mostly back in the car. Just finished up getting the fuel pump and tank back in the car and wiring the 3rd fuel pump I added. So after far too many short weekends slowly piecing the car back together I got to hear the new engine run for the first time tonight. Everything sounded good, held great oil pressure and didn't have any issues. Perhaps I'll even get this thing mobile soon.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:18 PM   #79
Neumatic

Well I finally got the interior mostly done just in time for the winter weather so didn't drive it too much before it got parked. Just have a safe tune in it right now just to get some heat cycles and make sure everything was good. Haven't had any issues with it. Interior desperately needs detailed after having it pulled out and then getting in and out of it in the shop cutting everything to fit back in. Phone/Computer isn't liking something so i dont have any good pictures of how the interior is looking right now. Ill get some better pictures once the weather gets a little nicer and im able to clean in interior up a little better.

Still need to get the pieces to make the passenger side a swing out and get my window net welded in as well. Cage turned out ok enough, honestly should have just bit the bullet and taken it to a shop and had a custom cage just so it would fit better. I could have done a much better job fitting my dash and the rest of the interior back in but I'm no professional, will do it better if it ever annoys me enough and I buy some new interior pieces. Unfortunately I had to block off some vents because of where the down bars went through the dash. Still will have working AC itll just be the center vents, defrost and footwells still work as well. Radio still works, even put a new module in the center console so my audio doesnt mess up after playing for a few seconds. Sound would crack and make awful noises if i played anything though the USB port. I have a corbeau FX1 seat in it now, need to trim it up just a little bit for my door bar but it fits well enough and is comfortable enough. I had a Racetech seat but the side bolsters were just too tight for me to comfortably sit in it with a antisubmarine belt on. Would have just ordered the wider Racetech but it took so long to get this one in I just wasnt willing to wait again.

As you can see things are getting pretty serious, got the parachute mount on so now I have no option but to go fast. Got a TH400 ready to go in. Billet flexplate took a little while to come in but i got it a couple weeks ago. All i need to do is get a convertor built for it so I can get it installed then get a driveshaft made.

I have a Holley High Ram for it as well, shop space is really limited so i haven't had the opportunity to get the cowl cut up to fit it in there yet. Looking at getting a F1X head unit as well and redoing the charged air piping, then we're going to start squeezing every bit of power out of this car as we can. It's a never ending road but I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Attached Images

Old 03-13-2022, 07:23 PM   #80
Neumatic

Now for the real reason of this update....yesterday I registered for Drag Week 2022 with this car. Which is Sept 18-24th this year. Barring any ill timed catastrophic failures this car should be ready and well tested by then. Still some work to do but its close.