Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
youngkim

Drives: 2010 blk camaro
another boring cop story

just got pulled over at university of maryland for not having a front plate.... was a female officer...bet if it was a male officer he woulda been cool with it. first time getting pulled over for it, passed by at least 100 cops w/o front plate and no1 cared. just a warning though
youngkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Class1E

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Edit: Nevermind, just read the post a little more carefully. My bad! I'd say no ticket, no worries.

Last edited by Class1E; 04-12-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Class1E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
KaiserSoze

Drives: 2008 MazdaSpeed3
I was pulled over in Utah for not having a front plate when I was stationed there. The cop felt like an idiot though, once he got behind me and saw I had an Alabama tag. He still ran my license after he had me pulled over. If I'd been feeling froggy, I'd have asked him what his PC was, but it was only a few minutes out of my night.
KaiserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
So, you're in violation of the law, (no matter how small it is, you still are), and your thoery is that you were pulled over b/c it was a female cop?

IDK if you're joking here....

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
that sux
Old 04-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
RenSol

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserSoze View Post
I was pulled over in Utah for not having a front plate when I was stationed there. The cop felt like an idiot though, once he got behind me and saw I had an Alabama tag. He still ran my license after he had me pulled over. If I'd been feeling froggy, I'd have asked him what his PC was, but it was only a few minutes out of my night.
RS (reasonable suspicion) is the only thing needed for a traffic stop. PC is needed for an arrest.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
The Jerk
Here but not really here.

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to The Jerk Send a message via MSN to The Jerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmont View Post
So, you're in violation of the law, (no matter how small it is, you still are), and your thoery is that you were pulled over b/c it was a female cop?

IDK if you're joking here....
I'm curious as to what the next thing he's gonna use when he gets pulled over by a cop?

I bet if they were white,black,asian,etc they would've been cool about it..

The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
sigma_1966
My baby is here

Drives: SIM 2LT
Some of the good excuses I have heard

1) Thats my friends jacket I borrowed from him. he must of forgotten he had drugs in the jacket

2) I wasn't carrying the gun for self defence I was carrying it in case someone tried to steal my drugs

3) 6 years .. I was only only holding up banks it not like I was shooting people.

4) The guns were in my car not my possession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
I'm curious as to what the next thing he's gonna use when he gets pulled over by a cop?

I bet if they were white,black,asian,etc they would've been cool about it..

Old 04-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #9
KaiserSoze

Drives: 2008 MazdaSpeed3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenSol View Post
RS (reasonable suspicion) is the only thing needed for a traffic stop. PC is needed for an arrest.
Still, I was stopped in the suicide lane with my left turn signal on waiting to make a turn into a parking lot. All my lights worked. So once he turned around and got behind me, he didn't even have RS.
KaiserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:35 PM   #10
RenSol

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserSoze View Post
Still, I was stopped in the suicide lane with my left turn signal on waiting to make a turn into a parking lot. All my lights worked. So once he turned around and got behind me, he didn't even have RS.
The fact that you are in a state that requires you to have both tags without having a front one gave him RS to intitiate a traffic stop. That being said, your car being registered with tags from a state that doesn't require the front tag excuses you from a citation as you already know.

Without knowing the officer's experience, he might have not known for sure whether or not Alabama is exempt from the front plate rule, therefore he intiated the stop. A quick check revealed you were good to go. Point is that he had RS for the stop but no PC was developed for a citation.

I applaud you for not making the officer's job harder by asking him what his PC was for the stop because like you said, it only took a few minutes of your time and you were on your way. Had you done that, you would have only prolonged your traffic stop.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #11
paulj7272

Drives: White 2SS RS with inferno stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenSol View Post
The fact that you are in a state that requires you to have both tags without having a front one gave him RS to intitiate a traffic stop. That being said, your car being registered with tags from a state that doesn't require the front tag excuses you from a citation as you already know.

Without knowing the officer's experience, he might have not known for sure whether or not Alabama is exempt from the front plate rule, therefore he intiated the stop. A quick check revealed you were good to go. Point is that he had RS for the stop but no PC was developed for a citation.

I applaud you for not making the officer's job harder by asking him what his PC was for the stop because like you said, it only took a few minutes of your time and you were on your way. Had you done that, you would have only prolonged your traffic stop.
1. People have a right to question why they are being stopped, this isn't a police state as much as progessives would like it to be. You tone seems to imply police can do what they want.

2. If the officer was traveling behind the car he could have called in about the state it was registered in - thus he should have known the law. He should have initiated the check before stoping the car.

3. The 14th ammendment to the United States Constitution is not a minor issue. So it doesn't matter what state he was driving in - unless you don't think the constitution is relevant anymore? Certainly many people in the country agree with you, I just don't think those people are well informed. Just like people are not stopped and asked for their papers when they travel state to state.

Either way the issue here for EVERYONE on this board is you must think before you vote. We have all these silly laws (seat belt, license plates, etc) because everyone thinks, well that is a good thing so it should be a law. No one realizes they just create more and more government. It's hard to fault the officer, she was following the law in her state. Should she have been more careful yes but realistically she wasn't acting overboard. The problem occured when the voters in the state didn't stop all these nanny state laws from passing....

In my opinion from plates are 100% useless but I can understand why law enforcement would push for them, but the people should not have voted for this stuff.

That is what everyone on this board should understand - its basically our fault as voters. And no I am not a teenager or a cop hater - I just happen to cheerish liberty, many many many people have fought and died for it.
paulj7272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:10 AM   #12
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Wow. I didn't notice "a tone" in RenSols" post at all. I found the explanation perfectly logical, and nothing anywhere close to suggesting absolute power. Then again, if you consider things like seat belts and tags "silly laws" it speaks volumes about "your tone".

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #13
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Bottom line is that if you NEVER want to get pulled over by a cop then NEVER drive a car.

If you're driving a car on public roads the laws of probability state that you're going to get pulled over eventually. Right, wrong, reasonable suspicion, probable cause, driving while black whatever! -DEAL WITH IT, GET OVER IT and MOVE ON!
this reminds me of people that say "people with guns are more likely to use them"... how is someone without a gun supposed to use one?

I agree though, I've been pulled over many times, sometimes for a reason other times not. it happens, suck it up and move on
Old 04-13-2010, 10:55 PM   #14
RenSol

Response to paulj7272

1. People have a right to question why they are being stopped, this isn't a police state as much as progessives would like it to be. You tone seems to imply police can do what they want.

I never said you couldn't question why one is stopped but if you committed the violation, then you know the answer to that question. I never implied anything so don't assume you know what I'm getting at. I was pretty straight forward with the intention of my response and that was based on the post, there was enough reasonable suspicion for the stop and that PC is not needed for a traffic stop. If I'm wrong, so be it.

2. If the officer was traveling behind the car he could have called in about the state it was registered in - thus he should have known the law. He should have initiated the check before stoping the car.

Do you know the officer's level of experience? I sure don't. Are you saying that just because the officer sees an Alabama plate he/she automatically knows that the individual is exempt from the front plate rule? The officer probably did call in to check the state's requirement law...DURING THE STOP. There's nothing wrong with that but I do like how YOU are telling us how the officer should do their job. I for one am glad the officer used due diligence because that probably saved both the driver and the officer a useless ticket.

3. The 14th ammendment to the United States Constitution is not a minor issue. So it doesn't matter what state he was driving in - unless you don't think the constitution is relevant anymore? Certainly many people in the country agree with you, I just don't think those people are well informed. Just like people are not stopped and asked for their papers when they travel state to state.

I've never been asked for my "papers" when I've travelled from state to state and believe me, I look like someone that might need to have papers. Lol. I don't even know what "papers" refers to when asking a U.S. Citizen. Would you care to enlighten me my "well informed" Camaro brother since I'm not priviliged enough to be "well informed". Besides, I don't think the state deprived any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws in this case. Let me make this clear, I live by the Constitution of the United States so I think it's more than relevant.

Either way the issue here for EVERYONE on this board is you must think before you vote. We have all these silly laws (seat belt, license plates, etc) because everyone thinks, well that is a good thing so it should be a law. No one realizes they just create more and more government. It's hard to fault the officer, she was following the law in her state. Should she have been more careful yes but realistically she wasn't acting overboard. The problem occured when the voters in the state didn't stop all these nanny state laws from passing....

You are right though; it's hard to fault the officer because she's only doing her job. If you think all these laws are silly then run for office and change them. Don't just complain about them. I'd love to hear your case against these "silly" laws. You're saying we should all just run around without seat bealts and license plates? I don't get the logic in that one but I'm just a simple mind. I am against big government because we've all seen how the government runs things to the ground but that's another topic I won't touch.

In my opinion from plates are 100% useless but I can understand why law enforcement would push for them, but the people should not have voted for this stuff.

100% useless? I can say that somewhere in the U.S. a kidnap victim was recovered, stolen vehicle recovered, and a dirt bag taken off the street based upon a look-out on the plate. I would say that doesn't make plates 100% useless, but that's just me.

That is what everyone on this board should understand - its basically our fault as voters. And no I am not a teenager or a cop hater - I just happen to cheerish liberty, many many many people have fought and died for it.

What you are implying is "Let's blame the victim instead of the perpetrator". I think lawmakers have something to do with these "nanny state laws" you seem to despise. Voters do elect politicians but they don't control them once they are in place.

I'm tired now and my head hurts from all this typing. GO COWBOYS!