Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #57
Abstrak

Drives: 2012 AGM Camaro LS / Team LFX
Hey I have about 6800 miles on my car and Im at about 15% oil life. My question is does the dealer carry fully synthetic will the dealership put full synthetic in if I ask or do I have to go get my own. I to dont have the means or resources to change and dispose of the oil myself.

Secondly I drove the engine pretty hard during the break in and I know most say go synthetic early like 1000-1500 miles should I be worried about consumption?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #58
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
This was the first car I ever changed the oil on myself. The initial cost of supplies was a little expensive, but now I have everything I need. Next time I can just buy oil and a filter. Even if it cost the same, I'd rather do it myself. I like doing work on my car.

I think my dealership has a decent service dept though. I took it in for an oil leak, and they seem to have actually fixed it.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #59
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlink View Post
I change it myself. It takes me less time than it would be to drive it to someone else to do it. Once every 3 months or so I take all the old oil and filters back to the same place I buy the oil, when I buy the oil for the next change. I can be important to get yourself under the car every now and then just to see if anything is wrong. This is the most simple job you can do.

When I bought my daughter her first car it was on the condition that she changes her own oil. And she does.
Yep. I found an oil leak while I was under there. It probably would've went unnoticed for a really long time otherwise.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #60
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
You know what?? I know of two people that had their Oil changed, were they forgot to put Oil in after the change. The end result, The Car was still under warentee, but Dealer refuse because they did not change the oil. And of course, The station that changed the oil, Said they had put oil in. Each one blaiming the other. Why take a chance, Let the dealer do it . I had a similar incident many years ago, were they forgot to put the oil plug in after the change.
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #61
Lucavi

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Burgundy
I'm not a gearhead, so I have the dealer do it. I enjoy the paper trail, and the more I have my head in there, the more the dealer is apt to help me out later on down the road.
Lucavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #62
tys2010camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
My two cents worth as I previously owned Two Dealerships. And currently am a rep for a MAJOR parts distributor.
ALL of your quickie lube shops and I mean all of them use the cheapest oil filter available regardless of the oil you purchase. 95% don't even carry premium filters at as an upgrade as they don't want people knowing they are putting on very cheap filters. People are buying synthetic oil and the filter does not live up to the life of the oil. I know of very few people who even ask what filter they are getting. Many dealerships do this as well.
My suggestion is purchase a high quality oil filter from your local parts store. Auto Zone, Napa, etc. They all have high quality filters available. NAPA's is the Platinum series. They all sell the cheap ones two but spending a few more bucks is definately worth it. I have several speed shops in my area as most of us do to change my oil with the filter i provide. ALL in all it cost me about $100 by the time i'm done.
tys2010camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #63
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I take mine to the dealers for any kind of service including someing as mundane as an oil change or to rotate the tires.

I happen to trust my dealer implicitly, they have done a lot of service and repairs including installing mods and painting my cars for a long time.

Plus I'm getting old, lazy, and I'm just not as agile as I was in my youth.

If something happens to the engine do to an oil change issue, well, the dealer is where I would take it for warranty work anyway. How can they argue that the oll wasn't changed properly, if THEY were the ones that changed the oil?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #64
Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Savage Setsuna

Drives: 16' 2SS, 12 ZL1, RIP Sasuke
Send a message via MSN to Heaven_is_inferno_orange Send a message via Yahoo to Heaven_is_inferno_orange
I do it myself. Takes me less than 30 minutes on the lift to do it. I have no problem with a dealership but being a certified Tech it would be kinda pointless to pay someone else to do what I can do myself.
Heaven_is_inferno_orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #65
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
I go to the dealership. 50 bucks for synthetic blend and a so/so AC delco oil filter.

Yea, I save about $10 bucks when I do it myself. I pay almost the same for 5 quarts of mobil1 ($30 bucks) and best price filter ($10 bucks). But while its fun to do it on my own, I don't want to go through warranty hassles.

I'm not going to a quick lube as they use really, really cheap filters and may not drain it all out.

This reminds me that I should call my warranty up and verify its ok to change it on my own. Probably have to keep receipts of the oil purchased. Dunno.
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #66
camaro-dreamer

Drives: 2013 Porsche 981S
Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyBake View Post
This reminds me that I should call my warranty up and verify its ok to change it on my own. Probably have to keep receipts of the oil purchased. Dunno.
If your dealer gives you any trouble, show them this from the federal trade commission. -> http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ts/alt192.shtm
camaro-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #67
Haole
2017 SS

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Hell I wish I only paid $50 for a change. Here in Hawaii I pay minimum of $100 for an oil change at the dealer.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote