Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #29
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
No one mentioned that having HIDs in the halogen housing is illegal...
Old 10-16-2012, 01:24 AM   #30
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
True or not??? If you just stick in the HID kit but no projector, you are gonna be that guy that blasts white light all over the place blinding everyone?? No cut off?
Correct. Apperantly lscamsro thinks he is the only one on the road. DDM sells cheap Chinese kits. Anytime you don't have a projector you are blinding others on the road. I don't care what you say. You cheaper out. Look on here. AAC sucks. Everyone knows it. Get quality stuff and don't worry about it. If you wanna cheap out and throw a glare kit in cool. You will blend in with the ricers. For 270 and an hour of your time you can have Infiniti quality headlights. I don't see why you would rather decrease your headlight output just to say you have HIDs. Blinding headlights isn't cool anymore. You need the nice cutoff.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #31
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtelvr View Post
So that kit would be a complete plug and play?? If so, that is what I will go with.
That's cool...... Lol. I hope you get ticketed.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:01 AM   #32
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
Correct. Apperantly lscamsro thinks he is the only one on the road. DDM sells cheap Chinese kits. Anytime you don't have a projector you are blinding others on the road. I don't care what you say. You cheaper out. Look on here. AAC sucks. Everyone knows it. Get quality stuff and don't worry about it. If you wanna cheap out and throw a glare kit in cool. You will blend in with the ricers. For 270 and an hour of your time you can have Infiniti quality headlights. I don't see why you would rather decrease your headlight output just to say you have HIDs. Blinding headlights isn't cool anymore. You need the nice cutoff.
Who said I think I'm the only one on the road? Obviously you didn't read the thread because I stated I had a retrofit. I'm simply answering the OPs questions. Do I think a retrofit is.better? Yes. But he stated he didn't want to retrofit so I showed him an hid kit like the one he was looking for.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #33
vtelvr

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
That's cool...... Lol. I hope you get ticketed.
Don't be a dick. No need to wish bad luck on anyone. Not even someone with little knowledge on the subject. That's why I asked the questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Who said I think I'm the only one on the road? Obviously you didn't read the thread because I stated I had a retrofit. I'm simply answering the OPs questions. Do I think a retrofit is.better? Yes. But he stated he didn't want to retrofit so I showed him an hid kit like the one he was looking for.
Thank you for your help. I would like for you to PM those email addresses to me so I can figure this all out. I understand why there needs to be a retrofit now. These guys who are knocking me for my lack on knowledge on the subject need to get a damn life, and see my comment below.

**For those of you who continue to say that I need a retrofit...Get off of it. I realize now the differences in just sticking an HID bulb in the regular housing, and then doing it properly. The previous owner of the car had done it as you guys would call it "the wrong way" by just putting in the HID kit with no projectors. Ease up. I am trying to learn the "right" way.
vtelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #34
big papa

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
This subject gets crazy almost every time!!! Some people insist on being cheap and just throwing in bright HID bulbs into stock housings. And others get crazy thinking about another person on the road blinding everyone. Out here the cops don't care, so we get blinded by people going the cheap route on a regular basis...

19 GMC CC 4x4
2019 Harley RGS
big papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #35
lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
This subject gets crazy almost every time!!! Some people insist on being cheap and just throwing in bright HID bulbs into stock housings. And others get crazy thinking about another person on the road blinding everyone. Out here the cops don't care, so we get blinded by people going the cheap route on a regular basis...
Out here, its the same. Every other car you see here has hids in their reflectors and blind everyone. The cops pass right by them and don't even care. I just think telling people what they can and can't do is wrong. That's why I suggested the retrofit but still gave the answers the OP was looking for

Old 10-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #36
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I've had both just the HID bulbs and then was shown the ways of the retrofit.

Are the HID bulbs technically illegal and blind people. Yes. With that said I had the HID bulbs for about a year and never got pulled over. I did get he occassional flashing of the brights from oncoming traffic. Not that often though. I think the thing I hated the most about it is that with the non-RS your lights are basically on all the time because of your DLRs. IMO...during the day the bright light of the HID bulbs was really destracting to others.

Then I was turned on to the HID projectors. WOW....major difference in light quality. Even with the lights on during the day they were much better for on coming traffic. However, I eventually got a harness that killed my DRL which I would recommend you doing.

I have a mix of Oracle and Morimoto from TRS because I already had the AAC stuff from my original install. I've had two Oracle ballasts go out on me. Both were pretty much back to back. I think it sucks the way you either have to purchase an extra ballast or go without headlights for a week or so if you ever need warranty work. That's just the way it is though for pretty much all the vendors. I now have a spare ballast in my trunk just in case.

Almost 2 years with my retrofit and other than the ballasts they have been working great. I could never go back to Halogen nor would I use the HID bulbs. That's me though. It's funny how not long after our retrofit builds started hitting the forum that AAC came back and now offers a complete retrofit themselves. They rake over the coals for it though.

Here are the links to my stuff that will help you get informed. You can also search retrofit in the forum and get more links.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120440
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147580
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=install

BTW: I wouldn't bother asking questions to TRS through email. Just pick up the phone and call them. They'll answer all you need right away. They can even do the actual retrofit for you if you want.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #37
Roll_the_Dice

Drives: 2012 Summit White Camaro 2LT
Sorry if this is a dumb question and sorry for jacking the thread, but I have Eagle Eye Projectors...I should be able to use a conversion kit since I already have projectors built into the Eagle eyes correct? I don't want to blind people, just want a better light for night driving. Thanks!
2003 Audi A4 Convertible Silver Auto (sold)
1999 Ford F150 (sold)
2008 Porsche 911 Convertible Atlas Gray M6 (sold)
2007 Corvette Lemans Blue M6 (sold)
2004 BMW 645 ci Convertible Black Metallic (sold)
2000 Dodge Dakota sport Navy (sold)
1999 Porsche Boxster Black Metallic M5 (sold)
1999 Ferrari 360 Modena Titanium F1 (sold)
1992 BMW 325i 2 door Alpine white (sold)
1990 Nissan 240SX Burgundy M6 (sold)
1979 Celica Blue M5 (sold)
1974 Mustang II Ghia Green (sold)
Roll_the_Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #38
lscamaro

Yes, I believe its an H11 HID kit that you want for those

Old 10-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #39
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_the_Dice View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question and sorry for jacking the thread, but I have Eagle Eye Projectors...I should be able to use a conversion kit since I already have projectors built into the Eagle eyes correct? I don't want to blind people, just want a better light for night driving. Thanks!
You're not going to be blinding people because EEs have a projector. They project the light forward. Those that have a just the HID bulbs still use the headlight housing to reflect the light forward. It's the reflection of the intense ligthing that can blind people.

I don't know a whole lot about EE but from my understnding they are projectors but use a Halogen style bulb. So, in order to get HID light you'll need to get an HID light kit. Do some searching on here for EE and you should be able to find all the info you need.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #40
vtelvr

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I've had both just the HID bulbs and then was shown the ways of the retrofit.

Are the HID bulbs technically illegal and blind people. Yes. With that said I had the HID bulbs for about a year and never got pulled over. I did get he occassional flashing of the brights from oncoming traffic. Not that often though. I think the thing I hated the most about it is that with the non-RS your lights are basically on all the time because of your DLRs. IMO...during the day the bright light of the HID bulbs was really destracting to others.

Then I was turned on to the HID projectors. WOW....major difference in light quality. Even with the lights on during the day they were much better for on coming traffic. However, I eventually got a harness that killed my DRL which I would recommend you doing.

I have a mix of Oracle and Morimoto from TRS because I already had the AAC stuff from my original install. I've had two Oracle ballasts go out on me. Both were pretty much back to back. I think it sucks the way you either have to purchase an extra ballast or go without headlights for a week or so if you ever need warranty work. That's just the way it is though for pretty much all the vendors. I now have a spare ballast in my trunk just in case.

Almost 2 years with my retrofit and other than the ballasts they have been working great. I could never go back to Halogen nor would I use the HID bulbs. That's me though. It's funny how not long after our retrofit builds started hitting the forum that AAC came back and now offers a complete retrofit themselves. They rake over the coals for it though.

Here are the links to my stuff that will help you get informed. You can also search retrofit in the forum and get more links.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120440
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147580
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=install

BTW: I wouldn't bother asking questions to TRS through email. Just pick up the phone and call them. They'll answer all you need right away. They can even do the actual retrofit for you if you want.

Very informative post. This is what I was after. I will be ordering a RETRO-FIT HID kit in the next day or two. I will just call TRS and get their opinion on what I need. Thank you.
vtelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #41
Roll_the_Dice

Drives: 2012 Summit White Camaro 2LT
Thanks lscamaro and caverman! I did some research and found that I need the H9 kit for the EE lights. I actually contacted the store on Ebay I bought them from and they responded with the H9 information, then found a thread on here that confirmed that. I was concerned about blinding people, but then remembered about the projectors, so that is great! Now I just need to decide which kit to get.
2003 Audi A4 Convertible Silver Auto (sold)
1999 Ford F150 (sold)
2008 Porsche 911 Convertible Atlas Gray M6 (sold)
2007 Corvette Lemans Blue M6 (sold)
2004 BMW 645 ci Convertible Black Metallic (sold)
2000 Dodge Dakota sport Navy (sold)
1999 Porsche Boxster Black Metallic M5 (sold)
1999 Ferrari 360 Modena Titanium F1 (sold)
1992 BMW 325i 2 door Alpine white (sold)
1990 Nissan 240SX Burgundy M6 (sold)
1979 Celica Blue M5 (sold)
1974 Mustang II Ghia Green (sold)
Roll_the_Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #42
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Yes, the warranty is for 5 years.

The ballasts and bulbs would be the only part I would be concerned with anyway. Wiring if done right, will not fail.

They don't ask you to ship items back so you don't have to pay shipping. AAC asks for shipping both ways. Although it may be minimal, it's still a hassle going to go drop it off and still paying the 20 dollars for shipping both ways
Wow that place will get taken to the cleaners..... just tell them the lights quit working and they send you a new set. lol They must be new to business with the public.

Now just try that.