Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #29
Matt @ RX

Frank at DSS is one of the most helpful colleague's that I have ever dealt with. He supported us last year and our DSS 9" IRS driven car went into the 9's in full street trim, with the stock motor.

This year, on the new motor with low boost (8psi) we've seen a 1.39 60' on a crap track with 17" drag radials, driving to and from my house with the whole 9" IRS. I'll be happy when we are launching off full boost, on a real tire.

Frank has answered my questions via email or phone calls Saturdays and Sundays, the technical support is amazing.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #30
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarostar2010 View Post
I am a DSS customer for a min now...top notch guys, very helpful, and so far no issues. Plus you can get a hold of the owner...imagine that in these corporate days. My hats off to Hendrix, strange, And DSS on the super 9 rear.
THANKS!
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #31
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
I know sometimes a post can get a little off topic so i figured we would post up what we found when this "Busted 1400Hp axle" was returned. We have been beating this tread up a bit and no one really knew what the issue was. Well like i had said in past posts This gentleman had Purchased the Lingenfelter rear after not being happy with the 9" noise problem some have endured from the Strange Center sections (Strange have since figured out the issue, some were just bad gears and others not set up correctly but not an issue now)

When this customer called and asked if we could swap out a new set of 1400hp axles he has purchased for the stock diff for to the ones to fit the Lingenfelter rear we were more than willing to help as usual. A few days later He called and said that the axles did fit, I had warned him that the ones Lingenfelter requested for the car were .500 longer but he said it had the correct play and here we are.

The 108mm CV is only 1.312 thick and total usable travel is about 1.00" so having a axle that is .500 short would be an issue (with 1" of travel the ball will have to sit in the middle of the race, take .500 off and it will be at the end of its travel). I have taken pictures of the internal part that failed (1st one we have ever seen break and its the same one in every record breaking car to date) as you can see i have put both Green and red marks on the part. the green marks are where the wear pattern should be. the red marks speak for themselves as you can see in the lowest ball track in the picture the ball actually rolled off the surface. This more than likely put the Cv in bind and broke the part.

We here at DSS will go out of our way to help you out, all we ask is to be fair to us. Rumors and all sorts of things can be said but here is the info. This customer had a 9" of ours (We refunded the entire amount and sold it to some who is happy with it) He has now sold this Lingenfelter Diff because of "the axle" when its clear where the problem was, We even went as far to send him out a new set of axles (even before we saw the old ones) The gentleman that is buying the diff was going to do Road Racing so we allowed the person to send the axles back, we changed them to the Road Race style axles (again at no charge) and there on there way to him now.

I guess what im trying to say here is don't be too quick to judge and change direction. These are performance cars and need to be put together correctly, if you do have a problem with ours or any other manufactures part please take the time to find the problem before heading in a different direction. The end result may be better than where you end up.....

p.s. the 300m Race was in this car for quite some time riding at the end of its travel and lasted quite well, imagine how it works when its where it should be.........
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #32
Whipped416

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
Frank my 3.70 stange rear was awesome ...
Now i got the 2.91 installed and its awesome as well..
Thanks for setting me up Frank with a great setup once again.!
Whipped416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #33
Driveshaftshop

Good to hear, its nice to know the set up is working well. how hard is it to change out the diff ?
Old 10-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #34
Whipped416

kurt with LSX performance did it for me i think it took him about 2 hours...
Are u sure the gears are 291's? i was hitting the 7000 rev around 180 today in 4th gear. the math we did would of had us shifting into 5th around 199 with 315 35 20 tires... not sure what was going on ??
Old 10-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #35
Driveshaftshop

yes, the numbers are stamped on the gear.
how tall is the back tire ill figure it out.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #36
Whipped416

28" tall
Old 10-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #37
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@HPE View Post
DSS is following their process to address my issue. We're just discussing possible causes here, that's the value in these forums.

Discussing technical issues with a product is not bashing the company.
Polite technical discussion should be encouraged. As an enthusiast forum, having as much technical information as possible helps enthusiasts make better decisions about what they need to do to make their cars meet their goals.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #38
blackonblacksls

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipped416 View Post
kurt with LSX performance did it for me i think it took him about 2 hours...
Are u sure the gears are 291's? i was hitting the 7000 rev around 180 today in 4th gear. the math we did would of had us shifting into 5th around 199 with 315 35 20 tires... not sure what was going on ??
The tire is shorter with the weight of the car on it.
blackonblacksls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #39
Whipped416

i measured the tire when on the car.. 28"
Old 12-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #40
Steve@HPE

Drives: 2014 SS/RS
I think the problem was due to the car being lowered which puts the axles at a steeper angle and extends the CV joint. That explains the outside wear pattern on the CV joint.
Steve@HPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:36 AM   #41
Driveshaftshop

It may have contributed to it but i would have to say if it was the right length there supposed to made to it would have been in the center like it should.Or should i say if the axle was changed to the correct length when the diff was changed it would have been over the .500 putting it in the center. The gentleman that bought your set up sent them in and we changed them out to the correct Length. sorry you had an issue
Old 12-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #42
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@HPE View Post
Do you have a manual with a twin disk clutch? If so, do you power shift? Stock axles and diff will last for quite a while with a slush box.
Well in excess of 1000RWHP, triple disc carbon clutch, dead hooked quite a few times with slicks... shift hard, have gone over 200 mph... etc...

no issues what-so-ever with my DSS 1400 HP axles/diff kit....

This most assuredly sounds like an isolated issue... Frank and Co will fix you up..

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote