Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #57
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
That is what I said. What did you not understand you just worded it differently. We need to run 87 octane minimum is the same meaning as needing to run a minimum of 87 octane. I didn't realize I had to phrase it a different way just so you could understand it!

What do you mean "all my performance parts". I don't have anything I would call performance parts!
I'm confused do you have these parts on your car?:

MRT V2.0 Exhaust
Injen CAI
Vmax ported TB
Solo Performance HFC's

Engine are air pumps, the more air that can come in and the more air that can go out increases PERFORMANCE. The cold air induction and ported throttle body are to increase air flow in, the high flow cats and aftermarket exhaust increase air flow out. They are there to increase PERFORMANCE, hence the "performance part" nomenclature.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #58
Xmitterengineer

Drives: 2014 LS2
Those timing tables confirm my observations:

With 87 in the tank I see much more knock retard on throttle tip in and in the mid RPM range with the scan tool.

In the seat this feels as if the engine is sluggish to respond to sudden applications of throttle when compared to 93.

With 93 in the tank the engine just feels more responsive.

It's worth the extra coin to me!!

I invite anyone to prove wrong the assertion that 93 will give more power in the mid-range and lower RPM's, and that 93 will produce more efficiency (MPG).

Of course you will have to compare apples to apples regarding ethanol content.

For those who do not want maximum performance from their LFX; 87 is the MINIMUM OCTANE you can run without risk of DAMAGING the engine!!!

Good day.
Xmitterengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #59
stevey_frac

Drives: 2010 LT2/RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmitterengineer View Post
Those timing tables confirm my observations:

With 87 in the tank I see much more knock retard on throttle tip in and in the mid RPM range with the scan tool.

In the seat this feels as if the engine is sluggish to respond to sudden applications of throttle when compared to 93.

With 93 in the tank the engine just feels more responsive.

It's worth the extra coin to me!!

I invite anyone to prove wrong the assertion that 93 will give more power in the mid-range and lower RPM's, and that 93 will produce more efficiency (MPG).

Of course you will have to compare apples to apples regarding ethanol content.

For those who do not want maximum performance from their LFX; 87 is the MINIMUM OCTANE you can run without risk of DAMAGING the engine!!!

Good day.
It's fairly well established for the LFX. What remains to be seen, is if there is a high octane table for the LLT. We're not actually sure of that yet. Perhaps since Bosch tuned it, they only put in a single tune for 87.

T-25L of fuel till I can prove one way or the other.
275 / 40 / 20 Continental ExtremeContact DW's on all corners

Next up:
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe (Purchased but not installed)
EBC Redstuff street pads
Carbotech XP8 / XP12 track pads
1LE Track Pack

Note: This car built by JDP Motorsports!
stevey_frac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #60
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
I've been using 87 in mine since new, but after reading all this I bit the bullet and filled it up with 93 yesterday. Judging by my highly subjective butt dyno it really does feel more responsive, especially at lower rpms. I tried 91 octane before (just one tank) and I didn't really notice a difference. Seeing the spark advance tables really made me want to try premium, and so far I'm not dissapointed.

I still don't understand the compression of these engines and the recommended minumum octanes. Gretchen (who I trust) stated that the V6 actually has higher compression that the V8s. So why is premium required for V8s and only 87 for the V6? I thought the only reason to use higher octane was to allow higher compression without pre-ignition. Apparently there is more to it.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #61
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevey_frac View Post
It's fairly well established for the LFX. What remains to be seen, is if there is a high octane table for the LLT. We're not actually sure of that yet. Perhaps since Bosch tuned it, they only put in a single tune for 87.
HPTuners has mapped a few fields, they are just working on read/write support. I'll be grabbing the beta once it exists and if any LLT members local to me can come get a quick read

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #62
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
I still don't understand the compression of these engines and the recommended minumum octanes. Gretchen (who I trust) stated that the V6 actually has higher compression that the V8s. So why is premium required for V8s and only 87 for the V6? I thought the only reason to use higher octane was to allow higher compression without pre-ignition. Apparently there is more to it.
Because from stock form, the v8 is more aggressive in tuning. People will put the more expensive gas in, because when you buy the v8, you want the power.

When you buy a v6, you want the fuel economy, or the lower cost of owning (typically).

So GM put a lot of fail safes in place, so that the v6 CAN run lower octanes. The fact that this engine has a ton of sensors in it, to retard timing and keep your engine from blowing up, helps it run lower octane fuels.

But if you run the good stuff, those sensors don't report such negative values to the computer, and the computer can give the car more oomph.

It's a modern technology marvel to keep your car from dying

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #63
stevey_frac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
I've been using 87 in mine since new, but after reading all this I bit the bullet and filled it up with 93 yesterday. Judging by my highly subjective butt dyno it really does feel more responsive, especially at lower rpms. I tried 91 octane before (just one tank) and I didn't really notice a difference. Seeing the spark advance tables really made me want to try premium, and so far I'm not dissapointed.

A big part of it is direct injection. Being able to directly inject the fuel at high pressures directly into the combustion chamber lets you do a bit of magic, to run higher compression without detonation.

Next up:
EBC Redstuff street pads
1LE Track Pack

Old 05-22-2014, 08:33 PM   #64
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post

MRT V2.0 Exhaust
Injen CAI
Vmax ported TB
Solo Performance HFC's

Engine are air pumps, the more air that can come in and the more air that can go out increases PERFORMANCE. The cold air induction and ported throttle body are to increase air flow in, the high flow cats and aftermarket exhaust increase air flow out. They are there to increase PERFORMANCE, hence the "performance part" nomenclature.

So why are you pissing on my parade.

First off the exhaust is not considered performance in my book, neither would I consider the CAI. Granted I would consider the HFC's a performance part because since we can't have headers the HFC's would be as close to headers as we can get. The V2's was for sound and no was no added HP(performance in my book). The ported TB not really a performance part in my book as I don't think it really added anything performance wise. Outside the CAI to help it breath better and improve gas mileage and the V2's to improve sound all the other crap is hype and if I had to do those again I wouldn't waste the money. It is people, probably like you, that say WOW what an improvement to the car, does this (insert item here) make the car haul ass now. None of the items made any noticeable difference in performance. You would have to put it on the Dyno to know the difference.

Yes, I tried 91 octane and after a couple tanks there was absolutely no felt performance difference, just costs $.75 more a gallon. Unless you are taking it to the track, straight line or circuit, and looking for that extra 1/10th of a second there is really no point to running 91 octane. This is just my opinion.

With that said, I will gladly fill the tank with 91 if you would like to reimburse me for the difference. Since your paying for it lets make it 93, I would have to special order that by the drum because no one carries that high of octane where I live. I will just send you the bill!

I just can't see throwing away another $10 a fill for the higher octane when this cars hauls ass just fine on 87. But, hey, if you wish to write me a check each month I would be fine with that.

unsubscribed!
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #65
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Sorry I asked a question to confirm you had those parts on your car. I'd bet that the vast majority of the people here consider those performance parts as I do.
OK, you don't. Duly noted.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #66
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:

MRT V2.0 Exhaust
Injen CAI
Vmax ported TB
Solo Performance HFC's

that's kind of what I was wondering too. puts all that on, then dumps cheap gas in it so he can get an extra burger every week
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:15 PM   #67
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Sorry I asked a question to confirm you had those parts on your car. I'd bet that the vast majority of the people here consider those performance parts as I do.
OK, you don't. Duly noted.
+1 here , Last time I checked they add some horses under the hood , Maybe he thinks just a supercharger or turbo is only a performance part that matters ?
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #68
stevey_frac

I can now confirm that the LLT has the high octane tables.

I was able to confirm that 3500 RPM, full throttle, I'm getting 27 degrees of spark advance, instead of the expected 7-8.

This is with a full tank of 94 octane. Not sure if the results would have been the same with 91.

--Steve

Next up:
EBC Redstuff street pads
1LE Track Pack

Old 05-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #69
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevey_frac View Post
I can now confirm that the LLT has the high octane tables.

I was able to confirm that 3500 RPM, full throttle, I'm getting 27 degrees of spark advance, instead of the expected 7-8.

This is with a full tank of 94 octane. Not sure if the results would have been the same with 91.

--Steve
Did you have to pull fuses or did it self adjust after about 50 mi.?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #70
stevey_frac

No fuse pull required. It had pretty much done adjusting by the end of my morning commute, about 30 km.

There does seem to be more pull in the mid range with bigger octane, which makes me want to see if my 0-60 is any faster. I suspect all the magazine tests would have used 87 octane.

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk

Next up:
EBC Redstuff street pads
1LE Track Pack