Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-24-2016, 02:53 PM   #1
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Dad, I backed into someone, you can fix this, right?

That's the text message my daughter sent me from work on May 22, with this accompanying photo:

Me, "Umm, I don''t know honey, looks like paint's missing."

I worked a bit of magic on it early this afternoon.
Here's what it looked like from a better angle after being cleaned up with some of Adam's New Waterless Wash, using one of his Waffle Weave Waterless Wash specific microfiber towels:

Once I'd figured I'd done the best I could:

Perfect? Not hardly. Much better than it was though. A small dent, and some paint missing, but not too bad I thought! I'm not going to try to touch this one up. With this car being Ashen Grey Metallic, and where the damage is, the black plastic of the bumper is a close enough match to leave this one be. In order to see the damage now you'd have to squat down and look at it straight on. This is a daily driver that already has damage to the rear bumper and is driven by a 21 year old. Good enough.

The mark/gouge on the lower rear side of the bumper and valance were there when she bought the car in the spring of 2015.

After cleaning it, I clayed with Adam's Visco Clay and Geo Impression Tool to remove any remaining dirt, wax and glaze.
Some areas I sanded with 2,000 grit to remove the scuffs, deeper scratches, and to round off the edges where the paint was missing. It's a dry use automotive paper, not the traditional Uni-grit wet paper. No need to measure the paint thickness here; 1.) The paint was missing in areas so it really needs a re-spray, and 2.) I've got a fair amount of practice at this-experience is both an awesome and cruel teacher.
Once everything was sanded as I wanted, I moved to my cordless drill with a drill backing plate, attached an Adam's 4" Gen5 Orange Foam Pad and used his Paint Correcting Polish. No need for a microfiber cutting pad, the Orange Foam Pad and Paint Correcting Polish will remove 2,000 grit marks with just a few passes on the drill. I totally obliterated that foam pad though, which is now in the trash.
All the sanding marks were gone and I moved to the Rupes Mini with a fresh Adam's Gen5 Orange Foam Pad and his Paint Correcting Polish. This step was to remove the swirl marks left behind from the cordless drill. The cordless drill makes pretty quick work of removing the sanding marks, but will leave marks of its own being it's nothing less that a miniature high speed rotary.
I finished up the polishing with one of Adam's Gen5 White Foam Pads and his Paint Finishing Polish, again on the Rupes Mini.
A coat of Menzerna Finishing Glaze was applied by hand, and topped with a layer of Adam's Americana Premium Paste Wax; she's good to go.

Last edited by BRZN; 06-24-2016 at 05:43 PM.
BRZN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Not bad.

Good job on fixing that.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:00 PM   #3
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Nice job!

Much better than the call I got from my Step Daughter, "Hey, can you come here... I rear ended a school bus! Don't tell Mom!"

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
ba2ss

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
nice work Dad!
ba2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:28 PM   #5
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
Nice work!
witenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:14 PM   #6
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Just FYI, since you have the Rupes Mini, I have one as well, terrific machine.

You can buy an interface and sanding discs from P1500 to P3000, that work with the machine, sanding is easier, safer, and faster then doing by hand.

Then you simply switch to a microfiber cutting pad. I haven't used Adams compound, but I'll go out on a limb and say it's capable of removing 2000 grit sanding marks when used with a microfiber cutting pad.

Then switch to finishing pad for final polishing.

Switch again for application of LSP.

Fast, easy, and safe. I use mine for spot repairs all the time on customers vehicles. No heat generated on surface during any application, far less chance to damage paint.

Of course it's a good idea to measure the paint first, in your case, you wouldn't be able to get a reading because the rear bumper is plastic, but when sanding on painted metal or aluminum surfaces where you can get a reading, it's beneficial.

One machine will do the job, and you have it.

Just a suggestion, do as you wish.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Nice save Dad!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:07 PM   #8
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
You did an awesome job cleaning up the damage. I'd suggest getting a Dr. Colorchip kit and fill the scratch. I was pretty amazed at how well it blends into the factory paint. Here's a before and after pic of a scratch I fixed on my trunk. There is still a small area that I didn't finish because the clear coat was raised up around it and I didn't have the foresight to hit it with a buffer first.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:13 PM   #9
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
I had a similar situation except my son swiped the rear of my car with his (my old) metal wagon. Pissed for a second then pulled out the tools and fixed it

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:25 PM   #10
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
BRZN! WOW!!!

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:32 PM   #11
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Dad to the rescue. Nice job!

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:20 AM   #12
PJMZL1

Drives: 2015 ZL1
More courage than I have. Nice job
Old 06-25-2016, 07:17 AM   #13
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Just FYI, since you have the Rupes Mini, I have one as well, terrific machine.

You can buy an interface and sanding discs from P1500 to P3000, that work with the machine, sanding is easier, safer, and faster then doing by hand.

Then you simply switch to a microfiber cutting pad. I haven't used Adams compound, but I'll go out on a limb and say it's capable of removing 2000 grit sanding marks when used with a microfiber cutting pad.

Then switch to finishing pad for final polishing.

Switch again for application of LSP.

Fast, easy, and safe. I use mine for spot repairs all the time on customers vehicles. No heat generated on surface during any application, far less chance to damage paint.

Of course it's a good idea to measure the paint first, in your case, you wouldn't be able to get a reading because the rear bumper is plastic, but when sanding on painted metal or aluminum surfaces where you can get a reading, it's beneficial.

One machine will do the job, and you have it.

Just a suggestion, do as you wish.
Yes the microfiber cutting pad with the corrections polish will remove those marks left from the pad. Had to repaint my bumper recently and some areas had to be wet sanded again. We used 2000 grit paper and after that did a light buff compound and finished it off with the microfiber pad for that deep shine, along with finishing and sealant. Great job by the way.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:36 PM   #14
bamaproshop

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to bamaproshop Send a message via Yahoo to bamaproshop
Awesome job.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Proud Litho Owner #28.
bamaproshop is offline   Reply With Quote