Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-09-2016, 06:56 PM   #29
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I enjoy my popping sound on deceleration.

I what makes me enjoy the car so much.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:42 PM   #30
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
http://www.ubermorgen.com/VERY_DE/www.very.de/
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:41 AM   #31
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
The belch of a fire breather!
Old 10-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #32
CamaroFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
They're properly tuned for their intended functions only. Not for good closed throttle/light throttle/idling, and they make those noises because they aren't tuned to be a whole lot better-behaved on decel than what's necessary to make sure they stay running.

Norm
Here in the 21st century they are tuned for all circumstances, including deceleration and pit road speed limits.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #33
race24x

Drives: 80 Z28 - 93 Z28 - 14 Camaro SS-RS
On Hollywood Blvd I got to take a Hurican on a test drive it was awesome and when you put it in Sport or Corsa mode it open the exhaust up and puts a huge smile on your face. It was a life changing experience to drive that car. I got it up to 130Mph up in the Hollywood mountains.
race24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:57 AM   #34
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
So for those "bashin" tunes that allow decel pops...do you have stock exhaust manifold/cats or headers short/long wit or wit/out HF cats? Per sig my tune wit dynoSteve and I seriously doubt he tunes for a "fake" snap/crackle/pop just to pull the wool over our eyes...really??? I attributed this to my HF cat's more than anything...stock cat's on our cars ARE THE MOST RESTRICTIVE part period...stock cats burn all gases by SLOWING DOWN the exhaust flow...just look inside....soooo with HF or off road ext these gases then end their existence on a fiery explosive note...any dynoSteve custs wanna chime in or even Steve if he is lurkin...lol....my ONLY concern is my stock muff's splittin but then I can justify cat back!
Old 10-10-2016, 11:20 AM   #35
CamaroFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
So for those "bashin" tunes that allow decel pops...do you have stock exhaust manifold/cats or headers short/long wit or wit/out HF cats? Per sig my tune wit dynoSteve and I seriously doubt he tunes for a "fake" snap/crackle/pop just to pull the wool over our eyes...really??? I attributed this to my HF cat's more than anything...stock cat's on our cars ARE THE MOST RESTRICTIVE part period...stock cats burn all gases by SLOWING DOWN the exhaust flow...just look inside....soooo with HF or off road ext these gases then end their existence on a fiery explosive note...any dynoSteve custs wanna chime in or even Steve if he is lurkin...lol....my ONLY concern is my stock muff's splittin but then I can justify cat back!
Next time you can outthink the engineers at GM you should apply for the job.
They are always looking for better brains.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #36
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-eatin-grin View Post
Is everyone aware the deceleration "popping" can be completely removed with a tune? When I had some work done to my 2010 Camaro the shop asked if I liked it or wanted rid of it. I decided to get rid of it and it was 100% gone after they retuned the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
WOW...missed the point completely...
GURGLE:
The noise you hear in a fuel injected 21st century vehicle when decelerating.
Those pops when decelerating are produced when no fuel is introduced to a cylinder. There is no combustion and the exhaust does not rush out of the cylinder. So there are pulses of air coming through the exhaust instead of a steady flow of exhaust gases.
The different lengths of the exhaust paths as well as the intermittent fuel shutoff per cylinder can make the sound seem random.

The solution if you don't like the sound is to avoid engine braking. Use the brakes instead of downshifting. Upshifting or sliding into neutral.

TLDR? Me either
I hope it helps.[/QUOTE]

I didn't miss the point...I was just responding to the OP's suggestion that every 21st century fuel injected car gurgles when decelerating. I wanted to point out that it is not an inherent ordained attribute of awesomeness in the Camaro but rather a tuning choice made by GM....and if the owner has the audacity to not like it...it can be removed with a little tweak in the tune.
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:33 AM   #37
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
Here in the 21st century they are tuned for all circumstances, including deceleration and pit road speed limits.
Tuned to run better for lower pit road speeds than used to be the case does not mean optimized for eliminating misfiring and pops/backfiring on decel.

Norm
Old 10-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #38
frankwjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosteve View Post
traditionally this comes from lower back pressure on the exhaust system from fitting headers or removing cats etc
Boom...and no not a GM engineer...just good ole common sense...factory exhaust designed for EPA tree huggers...so no gas guzzler tax ROFL...
Old 10-10-2016, 04:29 PM   #39
CamaroFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Tuned to run better for lower pit road speeds than used to be the case does not mean optimized for eliminating misfiring and pops/backfiring on decel.

Norm
If they don't tune for deceleration they would be wrong for half of the race.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:32 PM   #40
CamaroFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-eatin-grin View Post
GURGLE:
The noise you hear in a fuel injected 21st century vehicle when decelerating.
Those pops when decelerating are produced when no fuel is introduced to a cylinder. There is no combustion and the exhaust does not rush out of the cylinder. So there are pulses of air coming through the exhaust instead of a steady flow of exhaust gases.
The different lengths of the exhaust paths as well as the intermittent fuel shutoff per cylinder can make the sound seem random.

The solution if you don't like the sound is to avoid engine braking. Use the brakes instead of downshifting. Upshifting or sliding into neutral.

TLDR? Me either
I hope it helps.
Quote:
I didn't miss the point...I was just responding to the OP's suggestion that every 21st century fuel injected car gurgles when decelerating. I wanted to point out that it is not an inherent ordained attribute of awesomeness in the Camaro but rather a tuning choice made by GM....and if the owner has the audacity to not like it...it can be removed with a little tweak in the tune.
It's the fact that Mom's car has mufflers that suppress the noise.
Your Camaro does not.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:19 PM   #41
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
Have you seen the inside of the OEM mufflers? They have a J-tube for the drone and more insulation that most people's attics. Again...without changing anything else on the car, the gurgle can be removed WITH A TUNE. You were right though, there is a difference between a backfire and what our cars are doing.
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:30 PM   #42
frankwjr

Major difference between M6 and A6 exhaust cat back....