Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #15
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Since the correction that you are doing with FMP is so small, there really isn't a lot of advantage with the Flex as opposed to the PC. As a matter of fact, you will use less polish with the PC which saves you money in the long run. Although I say all this, it will take some people using the Flex to relize when there is an advantage and when there is not. Then they will think back to these threads and say, "I see what they were talking about now."

The Flex will star for you if you detail cars for a living or you are dealing with some jacked up paint, period.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:32 PM   #16
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Here's what I found with the Flex. I use Lake Country CCS 6.5 inch pads and Adam's products. With the Flex on 4 and a white pad with Adam's fine machine polish, I have found the same result as PC, Swirl and Haze Remover and an orange pad. You do need to use more product as you're generating more heat and the play time is shorter.

But did I need the Flex? No. Is it quicker? Absolutely.

And it's funny you mentioning practicing on an old hood. When I got my RK Sport hood for the Camaro, the stock hood became my wet sand/Flex/Pad combo/rotary practice piece!
Old 11-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #17
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Since the correction that you are doing with FMP is so small, there really isn't a lot of advantage with the Flex as opposed to the PC. As a matter of fact, you will use less polish with the PC which saves you money in the long run. Although I say all this, it will take some people using the Flex to relize when there is an advantage and when there is not. Then they will think back to these threads and say, "I see what they were talking about now."

The Flex will star for you if you detail cars for a living or you are dealing with some jacked up paint, period.
Yeah I have been re-reading alot of stuff here lately. I do have some family with older cars that are jacked up that I can work on in my spare time if I chose, plus my truck is really jacked up since I use it as a truck and go to the woods, but I do appreciate the knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Here's what I found with the Flex. I use Lake Country CCS 6.5 inch pads and Adam's products. With the Flex on 4 and a white pad with Adam's fine machine polish, I have found the same result as PC, Swirl and Haze Remover and an orange pad. You do need to use more product as you're generating more heat and the play time is shorter.

But did I need the Flex? No. Is it quicker? Absolutely.

And it's funny you mentioning practicing on an old hood. When I got my RK Sport hood for the Camaro, the stock hood became my wet sand/Flex/Pad combo/rotary practice piece!
Well I guess it doesn't hurt to learn new things and if your area is like mine they think detailing is washing and vacuuming out the inside, oh I forgot to mention " Armor All" the tires and clean/streak the windows. LOL

With the money I have spent with Adams the Flex is a drop in the bucket, pun intended, seriously I am a tool freak can never have too many.

Funny little side story my sis in law just paid 450.00 to have her BMW detailed. They washed, waxed, vacuumed,cleaned the windows. $450.00. It looks worse than my Camaro and it has been" Detailed" LMAO But you just can't tell some people
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #18
garcmol

We've got several of "those" detail shops here.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #19
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
We've got several of "those" detail shops here.
I would say that they are in the vast majority today. There are not a lot of people who take pride in their work the way folks did back when we were kids. From detailers to any business, the passion is just pathetic these days.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #20
Uncle Harvey

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
This project has me considering doing my old truck. Its got 250,000 miles on it and looks like hell. It would be interesting to see what results can be achieved. Now every car I see has those swirls and I think "I could fix that". I never even noticed them a few months ago.
Uncle Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:37 PM   #21
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Harvey View Post
This project has me considering doing my old truck. Its got 250,000 miles on it and looks like hell. It would be interesting to see what results can be achieved. Now every car I see has those swirls and I think "I could fix that". I never even noticed them a few months ago.
That's what happens when you get unplugged from the Matrix. Welcome to Zion.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #22
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Harvey View Post
Quote:
That's what happens when you get unplugged from the Matrix. Welcome to Zion.
Holy crap, so it's not just me...I find myself inspecting other people's paint now
Old 11-19-2010, 11:28 PM   #23
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
The Flex is much smoother (less vibration) but that rotation will try and pull you down a panel sometimes, so you are fighting to keep the machine in place a little more. Basically replacing the downward force you'd be exerting on the PC with lateral control. Tens to make my shoulders ache, especially after a lot of vertical panel work.

Its only 'dangerous' (and not really the best term) unless misused... it cuts faster, but not so much faster that you're going to be down to bare metal or something.

Your paints pretty flawless from what I've seen, the Flex might be overkill since you really don't need the added correcting ability... or do you have areas that aren't coming up for you with the PC??
Quote:
Bingo. And depending on the make of pad you use, that pull can try and throw you across the hood or over the trunk or across the roof or... you get the point. The only place that I would use the word "dangerous" is on a lip. Like the lip on the hood by the windshield. You ride that puppy one time too many with the Flex and a heavy cutting compound and I guarantee that you'll take the paint right off of it. You have to pay attention to how you hit edges with the Flex.

I would also agree that if your paint isn't all jacked up or if you are not detailing cars for a living, you have absolutely no need for the Flex. Once you fully correct your paint, you should NEVER need to get aggressive with it again if you are washing the car, or removing dust from the car correctly. Look at it from the perspective of being a cop. A cop has a few weapons at his disposal. The gun is his most lethal and is pretty much guaranteed to eliminate a threat, but it is not always the best choice for every situation. You don't shoot a unarmed man for jaywalking and you don't use hand to hand combat on a subject who is shooting at you with a AK-47 on full auto.

So use the tool that fits the situation that you are looking at in your paint. I never use the Flex on my paint unless something crazy happens and leaves a scratch.
You're right, I didn't use the correct term, but I think you guys got what I meant.

I didn't mean for my car, but I do, during the summer, do other people's cars for some nice supplemental income. I remember a Toyota SUV I had last summer that I couldn't get flawless with the PC, but it looked a lot like that Tahoe, and I now see I could've gotten there with the flex. Perhaps my new green pad and Severe SHR will get me there without need for the Flex. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:00 AM   #24
PHEOX

Drives: '06 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
Holy crap, so it's not just me...I find myself inspecting other people's paint now
Me and my Dad went to the movies tonight, and I was looking at paint and noticed the most disgusting thing ever. A Viper with heavily oxidized paint. I wanted to bust out with some Adam's and teach the owner a lesson.
PHEOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:18 AM   #25
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHEOX View Post
Me and my Dad went to the movies tonight, and I was looking at paint and noticed the most disgusting thing ever. A Viper with heavily oxidized paint. I wanted to bust out with some Adam's and teach the owner a lesson.
That's the hardest part of becoming aware. Trying to unplug others before their time!

Wait until you go to a car show. It is real bad at the shows. I can't enjoy the shows like I did before I became aware. Now I just shake my head as I walk around.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #26
garcmol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
Add me to that list.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:06 AM   #27
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Update! We were able to salvage the Flex vs PC video.. It's currently being edited so it's not 20min long.. Stay tuned!
Old 11-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #28
GPC1

Drives: Camaro SS
Turned out awesome!!!
GPC1 is offline   Reply With Quote