Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

View Poll Results: When and Where???
October 1 6 26.09%
October 8 5 21.74%
October 15 4 17.39%
October 22 14 60.87%
October 29 3 13.04%
Hocking Hills 9 39.13%
Winery Tour 3 13.04%
Murphin Ridge 3 13.04%
Dinner and cruise around Wilmington, OH 6 26.09%
other 3 13.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #15
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryman77 View Post
I'm going to try to make it this year, even though it is a bit of a drive...I'm good for any of those days & options...I'll keep up here to see what ya'll choose
I've been dying to see/hear your car in person, so I'm really hoping uyou make it!
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #16
Tantalizer43

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I voted for the 22nd, I did not vote for a destination. They all sound fun to me. I wasn't able to attend the last couple Hocking Hills cruises
Old 08-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #17
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
22nd at Hocking is winning...
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #18
masterwinning

Drives: 2013 Volt
I will throw Wayne National Forest Area into the mix. I have a lot of guys at work who are huge on riding in that area. I will ask them for some ideas for drives and dinner and such.
masterwinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #19
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Where is that Kyle?
Old 08-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #20
masterwinning

Drives: 2013 Volt
It is in Southeastern Ohio, borderline starting to get into Hocking Hills area. Routes in that area include 247, 770, 73, 41, 772, etc. These are some very twisty and fun roads with out a lot of traffic.
masterwinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #21
SilverIceman

Drives: Camaro SS SIM
Wayne N.F. is spread out all over southeast Ohio. One of the most scenic roads I have driven in Ohio is Rt. 78 between Bur Oak S.P. and McConnelsville. Continuous curves, great vistas and it's paved.
Rt 78 (read first paragraph) "nationwide" is kinda hard to believe, but it is cool
It bi-sects the infamous Triple Nickle Rt. 555 Never been on the 555, but sounds like it's infamous for being in bad condition. Maybe Alan and Toots can tell us what's paved with asphalt and what's paved with chips.
If you skip the 555 and stay on 78 you could find your way to The Wilds
map-Wilds webpage
EDIT: webpage says it's only open through Aug., but it looks like a cool destination for next year!
or

If you've never driven through Ohio's Amish Country, it's very, very scenic. But, they don't take kindly to fast driving up there as there's always a buggy somewhere on the roads. We'd get a lot more of the NE crowd as it's northeast of Columbus. Amish Country Byway Had to throw in an ODOT page for Jr.
Tons of good food there, and this...Swiss Chalet

Just a couple more ideas, definitely farther for us SW folks, a night at Bur Oak or Mohican lodges would make it better paced.

Or we could just drive around Wilmington.

Last edited by SilverIceman; 08-30-2011 at 06:01 AM.
SilverIceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:48 AM   #22
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

I like that idea... I'm thinking Oct 22... Where is still up in the air.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #23
heinzd01

Drives: 2010 SS RS, 1976 Type LT
A few thoughts

- Hocking Hills - It was nice the last two years (except the traffic/parking) but I'm one of the ones that would prefer something different this year.

- Winery Tour - I'm not a wine drinker. I wouldn't want to drink & drive anyway. I have heard there is a nice restaurant on the Ohio river where you can watch the boats go by. It may have been Moyer Winery & Restaurant.

- Murphin Ridge Inn - I'm not concerned if the restaurant is expensive as long as the food is very good.

- Wilmington, OH - NO, NO, NO and NO. There are no good cruising roads and only average restaurants. However, the renaissance festival is nearby if the group would want to do this.

- Red River Gorge, KY - This looks interesting but would probably be better as an overnight trip. Perhaps this could be an activity next year.

- Motorcycle routes - I'd be open for trying some of these; however, 1) I'd want to find the roads in good condition and 2) I'd want to find interesting stopping points.

- Amish area - I'd be open for trying this. I've starting mapping a route and stops if others are interested. We would need to be patient and cautious driving this area. We would have to dodge the horse shit too. Towns could include Millersburg, Sugarcreek, Walnut Creek, Wilmot, Loundonville. Stops could include Coblentz Chocolates, Natures Food Market, Farmstead Restaurant, Der Dutchman, Amish Door Restaurant, Dutch Valley Restaurant, Keim Lumber, Grist Mill.

- Caverns - I'd be open for trying this. I've mapped a route between the caverns in central Ohio including Ohio Caverns, Zane Shawnee Caverns and Olentange Indian Caverns with a stop at Der Dutchman in Plain City.

- Covered bridges - For any route we decide on, perhaps we work in a covered bridge. http://www2.dot.state.oh.us/se/coveredbridges/

- Go Karts - Another idea perhaps for next year.
heinzd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #24
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Great ideas D!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:33 PM   #25
SilverIceman

Drives: Camaro SS SIM
Yes, great ideas,

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzd01 View Post
A few thoughts

- Hocking Hills - It was nice the last two years (except the traffic/parking) but I'm one of the ones that would prefer something different this year. AGREE, WE WOULD NOT BE TOO EXCITED ABOUT SEEING THE SAME STUFF AGAIN AND DEALING WITH ALL THE CROWDS. MAYBE SET UP FOR DIFFERENT STOPS.

- Winery Tour - I'm not a wine drinker. I wouldn't want to drink & drive anyway. I have heard there is a nice restaurant on the Ohio river where you can watch the boats go by. It may have been Moyer Winery & Restaurant. AGREE, WOULD BE OK IF IT WAS JUST ONE WINERY AROUND LUNCH OR DINNER WITH A CRUISE AND ANOTHER STOP SOMEWHERE.

- Murphin Ridge Inn - I'm not concerned if the restaurant is expensive as long as the food is very good. DON'T KNOW ENOUGH TO COMMENT

- Wilmington, OH - NO, NO, NO and NO. There are no good cruising roads and only average restaurants. However, the renaissance festival is nearby if the group would want to do this.
AGREE

- Red River Gorge, KY - This looks interesting but would probably be better as an overnight trip. Perhaps this could be an activity next year.
GREAT AREA WITH SOME GREAT, CURVY ROADS. WE GO DOWN THERE OFTEN TO ROCK CLIMB. THERE'S A VIA FERRATA THERE THAT'S FUN FOR BEGINNERS. ALSO AN AWESOME PIZZA SPOT (MIGUELS) WHERE ALL THE DIRTBAG CLIMBERS GO. REALLY COOL HIKES WITH AWESOME NATURAL BRIDGES. STATE LODGE, MOTELS AND SOME REAL NICE CAMPING AT KOOMLER RIDGE. WE GO DOWN AND COME BACK IN ONE DAY, BUT IT'S A WHOLE DAY, AND TOO MUCH FOR ANYBODY NORTH OF DAYTON. BETTER TO SPEND A NIGHT.

- Motorcycle routes - I'd be open for trying some of these; however, 1) I'd want to find the roads in good condition and 2) I'd want to find interesting stopping points. AGREE

- Amish area - I'd be open for trying this. I've starting mapping a route and stops if others are interested. We would need to be patient and cautious driving this area. We would have to dodge the horse shit too. Towns could include Millersburg, Sugarcreek, Walnut Creek, Wilmot, Loundonville. Stops could include Coblentz Chocolates, Natures Food Market, Farmstead Restaurant, Der Dutchman, Amish Door Restaurant, Dutch Valley Restaurant, Keim Lumber, Grist Mill. VERY PRETTY DRIVES THROUGH ROLLING FARMLAND, NOT ALL WOODS LIKE HOCKING. THE ROUTES CAN BE CROWDED AND SLOW, SO MAY NOT BE THE BEST "CRUISE" OPTION, BUT DEFINITELY INTERESTING FOR THE ONES IN THE PASSENGER SEAT.

- Caverns - I'd be open for trying this. I've mapped a route between the caverns in central Ohio including Ohio Caverns, Zane Shawnee Caverns and Olentange Indian Caverns with a stop at Der Dutchman in Plain City. GREAT IDEA, I HAVEN'T BEEN TO OHIO CAVERNS SINCE GRADESCHOOL.

- Covered bridges - For any route we decide on, perhaps we work in a covered bridge. http://www2.dot.state.oh.us/se/coveredbridges/ GOOD IDEA

- Go Karts - Another idea perhaps for next year. WHERE? GO KARTS ARE A BLAST.

SilverIceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:24 AM   #26
LadyinBlue

Drives: 260HP/242TQ
Merlin and I are game to go wherever. Hocking Hills was just waaaay too crowded last year and not nearly as much fun as it could have been. Since our group has gotten even larger it would make sense to choose a drive on less populated roads.

I voted for the 22nd but am available on all but the Oct 1 date. Ditto with Heinz in that I don't mind a pricier restaurant as long as the food & service warrant the expense.
LadyinBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:33 AM   #27
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

I'm making the call...

OCTOBER 22...

Now, where/what to do??? I don't think an overnight is going to work. I'll brainstorm, but I really like some of D's ideas!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:10 PM   #28
heinzd01

Drives: 2010 SS RS, 1976 Type LT
My Aunt dropped off a bag full of stuff to help with ideas including the book "Ohio - Off the Beaten Path". She is the organizer of various excursions with her freinds. I'll look through and see if it gives me any other ideas.

It would help if more possible attendees make some comments good or bad about the ideas suggested so far.
heinzd01 is offline   Reply With Quote