Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
vafinest25

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS "Orange Crush"
Possible suspension issues

I just came from my local auto care shop here in Germany and the Americans told me that by lowering the car may where the suspension out sooner than GM intended, is that a true statement. reason why asking because I am in the process of ordering the 1.3 inch drop all the way around from the BMR springs and If thats the case then that's not something I want to happen obviously everybodys has done it im just trying to get you guys take on it and if you had any issues just doing to spring to self mind u I have the 23" Vossen CV1 and I don't drive the car hard.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ozsnih
" When your ready to quite, your 1/2 way there"
Old 06-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafinest25 View Post
I just came from my local auto care shop here in Germany and the Americans told me that by lowering the car may where the suspension out sooner than GM intended, is that a true statement. reason why asking because I am in the process of ordering the 1.3 inch drop all the way around from the BMR springs and If thats the case then that's not something I want to happen obviously everybodys has done it im just trying to get you guys take on it and if you had any issues just doing to spring to self mind u I have the 23" Vossen CV1 and I don't drive the car hard.

---
I it may wear the shocks out just a little bit more then regular...but probably not the vendors do testing.on.what the car can take..im sure they looked into this..i k.ow pfadt did a 1.25 drop and said that was best for the shocks...with out ruining them...if u really gonna worry bout the shocks getting ruined then order coilovers. . Gotta pay to play bud..can't complain if u start modding

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
Doubtful, however, you should have the car realigned after the drop.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Our drop spring packages are designed around a 1.25" drop, which like jeffny09 mentioned above, is about the lowest you want to go without effecting long term shock life. Every manufacturer has a different thought process into why they designed their drop the way they did, but in our experience folks have been getting good service life out of their OEM shocks with our drop spring packages.

Absolutely get the car aligned after lowering your Camaro. Any time you change your ride heights you need to have the alignment changed to ensure proper handling and tire life. Below are our recommended alignment specs broken down into multiple different applications. For street users who likely won't see much track time the Performance Street setting will offer good amounts of grip and excellent tire wear.

Shocks are of course a wear item though, so once it really is time to swap them out we recommend moving to coilovers for maximum performance and flexibility if your budget allows.

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Jesus, where do you find 23" tires?
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
camaroimpalabob

Drives: 45th 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Jesus, where do you find 23" tires?
$$$$$$$ green backs $$$$$$$$$
camaroimpalabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafinest25 View Post

---
The 23" wheels are what will wear out your shocks. My guess is they are much heavier than the OE wheels and tires. Do you know the weights?

With the 23" wheels you have minimal sidewall. The sidewall is part of your suspension. The shorter the sidewall the more stiff the ride. 23" wheels and tires with lowering coils will be a very tight ride that some would describe as harsh.

We have had great success in delivering improved ride quality on lowered vehicle with large diameter and heavy wheel and tire packages with our Supercar Coilovers. Let's start with the weights for your front and rear wheels and tires.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote