Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #29
boltmark
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2 SS/RS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Stephens= View Post
So I was in this Chevy dealership and they had a Corvette there and it was $68,995. And I asked the salesman what is the horsepower and he brags. "it's 400 hp" and I said, why would someone pay 68K for a vette when they can get an SS with 426hp for like 40K. He then retorts its a vette, and I said for that kind of money I could get a ZL1 for 54K and it is over 600 hp. He then shut up and I could tell he didn't know his specs and was not happy with me and walked away. Just had to share this with you all.

A ZL1 is not over 600 HP, you might want to do some homework on your specs.
boltmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:29 AM   #30
boltmark
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2 SS/RS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthinds View Post
Yeah the vette is 430 hp zl1 is 560 I think. Its no comparison I have a c5 with 350 hp ls1 the vette is faster than my ss camaro. So yeah vettes are lighter,geared differently I'm pretty sure the z06 or zr1 will smack the zl1 camaro. The base model vette I think is a tad slower than zl1.

580 HP
boltmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #31
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
haha in my short experience of dealing with sales people...I have found they are complete *ssholes.

I just recently bought a 2011 2LT from one place, but I got a KILLER deal as it was second hand, so I saved a fortune...so I went to a dealership to get an inquiry about a trade in for a SS and the guy looked at the cars history etc, the service records etc, he then asks me so how long have you had the car for I told him not long, and I said but I am very much interested in upgrading to a SS because it is much more likely the model for me over this one. He replied with...come back in one year and we will deal then and we will trade your car in at that time, right now I won't even deal with you.

Talk about a lost sale...here I was ready to drop some more cash and this guy blew me off lol....
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #32
SSBlack
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS JFB
All sales people aren't experts and there is a lot of turnover.

Last month, he may have been selling TV's, furniture, or sitting at home drawing unemployment.
SSBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:57 AM   #33
DFWHD

Drives: 45th Anniversary Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth6 View Post
They are rated at 430 HP.

A salesman like this guy... should stick to selling Chevy Spark. He should leave the Vetts to to a more knowledgeable sales person. LoL
knowledgeable sales person - isn't that a myth? I've never seen one in the wild...
DFWHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:57 AM   #34
dolt45
Glorious Ignoramus

Drives: SS 45th
[QUOTE=ChrisBlair;5170116] It's easy to beat up on salesmen; some are guys who really don't have the right personality. Some do. But it's uncool to just smack them down, they are trying to do a job and while it's a job most people look down on for some reason, that's no way to treat somebody.
[QUOTE]

I.M.H.O. artificially raising the price on merchandise is "no way to treat somebody" either. Also, sharing these stories will help others to be wary and go to the dealership prepared.

I'm fine with playing the game when *I* go to the dealership. But I have known folks to get screwed over. Nice trusting people.
Anyone who would burn them to line their own pocket is dirt in my eyes and you can't change my mind on that.

Though I will admit that I have dealt with a couple of honest salesmen. They've made more money off of me than the greedy ones because I send them referrals.

Disclaimer: I really have no idea WTF I'm talking about.
dolt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:59 AM   #35
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
[QUOTE=dolt45;5170192][QUOTE=ChrisBlair;5170116] It's easy to beat up on salesmen; some are guys who really don't have the right personality. Some do. But it's uncool to just smack them down, they are trying to do a job and while it's a job most people look down on for some reason, that's no way to treat somebody.
Quote:

I.M.H.O. artificially raising the price on merchandise is "no way to treat somebody" either. Also, sharing these stories will help others to be wary and go to the dealership prepared.

I'm fine with playing the game when *I* go to the dealership. But I have known folks to get screwed over. Nice trusting people.
Anyone who would burn them to line their own pocket is dirt in my eyes and you can't change my mind on that.

Though I will admit that I have dealt with a couple of honest salesmen. They've made more money off of me than the greedy ones because I send them referrals.
very well said!

my friend actually got ripped off horribly at a Mazda dealership a year or 2 back. he was signing the papers for his car and they literally loaded on a butt load of additional junk accessories and all that extra crap no one in their right mind ever buys only because he didn't know how to say no....and is much much too nice of a guy to say anything.
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #36
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
See though, here's the problem guys:

Now you're sort of giving me the role of Defender of Somebody You Don't Like. Respectfully, I'm not gonna stand proxy for salesmen.

I never defended their practices. I said that you shouldn't be crummy to people for no reason. That goes for people running car dealerships, too
Old 06-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #37
EFI

Drives: something faster than you
Quote:
I said, why would someone pay 68K for a vette when they can get an SS with 426hp for like 40K.
Clearly power/weight ratio is a strange exotic concept to you.

Line up that "400hp" vette against a 426hp SS and see who's faster
EFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #38
akCamaross

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I think car sales people should be the people like us who work on cars and truly appreciate the cars unlike alot of car salesmen people who dont know a lick about cars and are there just to get payed.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #39
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
for that kind of money I could get a ZL1 for 54K and it is over 600 hp. ... I could tell he didn't know his specs ...
Neither do you; the ZL1 is nowhere near 600hp.

But still-- salesmen are idiots a lot of the time and it's a shame. It's fun laughing at them and walking away!

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread

Last edited by BowtieBelle; 06-22-2012 at 09:10 AM.
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #40
Stealth6

Drives: '17 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by akCamaross View Post
I think car sales people should be the people like us who work on cars and truly appreciate the cars unlike alot of car salesmen people who dont know a lick about cars and are there just to get payed.

As a customer, you are right to want a knowledgeable salesperson. However, the most successful salespeople aren't the ones who know a lot about the product, they are the ones who sell cars (or anything) to make as much money as they can. That is the primary trait that sales managers look for in hiring salespeople. If the salesman is making money, the manager is too.

Stealth6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #41
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
but what do I know?

Vette has the same LS3 engine, but it breathes better b/c of the quad exhaust, giving it 430 hp std. and 436 w/ the upgraded performance exhaust, plus it weighs about 600-700 lbs less than the Camaro. If that were the only advantages the vette had over Camaro, you might have a point. In reality, the vette is a superior performance vehicle in every possible way.

The Vette comes in 4 different trim levels for coupe and the vert. 1LT, 2LT, 3LT and 4LT, plus the Grand Sport.

Then there is Z06/ ZR1. The Z06 has a naturally aspirated 7.0 liter LS7, which is 505 hp. Trims are 1LZ, 2LZ and 3LZ. The ZR1 has a supercharged 6.2 liter LS9, which is 636 hp. Trims are 1ZR, 3ZR.

In the end all models of Camaro and Corvette are performance vehicles, there are just different levels of performance.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #42
naSSty1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
So I was in this Chevy dealership and they had a Corvette there and it was $68,995. And I asked the salesman what is the horsepower and he brags. "it's 400 hp" and I said, why would someone pay 68K for a vette when they can get an SS with 426hp for like 40K. He then retorts its a vette, and I said for that kind of money I could get a ZL1 for 54K and it is over 600 hp. He then shut up and I could tell he didn't know his specs and was not happy with me and walked away. Just had to share this with you all.
Yep, pretty sure I know why he walked away. Salesman knew what he was doing.
naSSty1 is offline   Reply With Quote