Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #15
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Other than the stuff about the Camaro, that was about the most depressing thing I have ever read. I really like the part where someone asks about the LNF in the Cruze (ie an SS model), and he completely ignores that and talks about the 1.4L that will be in the base model. What the crap? Just answer the question. Either "yes, we have decided to follow up the hugely successful Cobalt SS with a Cruze SS that takes the performance from the first model and adds it to the higher quality Cruze, creating the best sport compact on the market" or "No, the government has cut our manhoods off and the Camaro is the last performance car you'll see out of Chevrolet". Just give us a real answer.

And you have to love how he flippantly dismisses rebadging the wonderful, beloved by GM fans, GM haters, and media alike G8 as a Chevy with a blunt "No." Fine that's an answer, but it is an arrogant, obnoxious, and simply incorrect answer. All in all, except for the Equinox and Camaro, Chevrolet will probably be completely off my radar now. Good job Government Motors. You may not care about high quality sport compacts and performance sedans, but Ford is bringing the near-perfect Euro Focus here, likely with high-performance models, and is introducing an SHO version of the Taurus.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #16
stovt001

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
yeah, the Z28 will never be dead, but let all the dust settle from all these troubled times...it'll be back....4SURE!
Or, you know, everyone could stop insisting it be a supercharged gas guzzling sled (leave that to the aftermarket tuners who aren't constrained by CAFE), bring it back to its glorious track-star roots to do battle with the Track-pack GT, and we could probably have it immediately. But no, that just makes too much sense.

Just a dream away
Old 06-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #17
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Or, you know, everyone could stop insisting it be a supercharged gas guzzling sled (leave that to the aftermarket tuners who aren't constrained by CAFE), bring it back to its glorious track-star roots to do battle with the Track-pack GT, and we could probably have it immediately. But no, that just makes too much sense.
Though I don't know that this would be any cheaper than a supercharged Z28 model, at least the weight savings would likely result in better fuel economy - certainly at least the same as the SS is rated at, because no one can tell me than a SC'd Z28 would get as good a mileage as a ZR1. Although, I'm sure a Z28 buyer is not likely to care about fuel mileage as much as the car companies are now and in the future.

I still remain on my stance than the Z28 would be a GT500-fighter, and losing only a couple hundred pounds will not make it so. It's going to need at least another 50 horse' with that couple hundred pounds, I think. Besides, with all the crash testing that would possibly need to be performed for these pieces, wouldn't it be cheaper to just add more reliable power from an already developed engine? I totally see your argument though

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #18
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
THANK GOD. For some reason it drives me nuts to even hear this issue getting repeatedly beaten to death and the unending rumor that its coming next year when it is so obviously impossible to work into the current dash.
It's hardly impossible since a screen larger than many standalone nav units could easily be worked in, as could a larger slide-up screen. Doesn't look like it'll happen but once GM gets turned around it seems very possible if they see demand for it. Personally I think Onstar is really missing the boat by lagging behind on adding more robust nav features like custom routes and no the mapquest feature isn't even a baby step unless they've changed it to actually use the mapquest routes.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #19
RPO_Z28

Drives: 2007 C6Z
Turn by Turn Nav thru OnStar is a better way to go and you're not distracted by a screen.
RPO_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:46 PM   #20
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
As for the Z28..... Here is one possibility.....

Maybe GM knows how bad everybody wants that car.... They were unable to engineer it and produce it now due to finances..... SO..... maybe they can in 1-2-maybe even 3 years.

Rather than telling everybody to just hold on a little longer, they may be trying to ignore it so that the diehards and other enthusiasts will just buy a SS and then UPGRADE to a Z28 when they finally come out.

Makes sense to me... Why tell a potential customer to wait a year or two, when they could go ahead and guarantee a sale?????
Old 06-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #21
sabrescamaro

Drives: TB SS and temporarily 2LTRS VR
Yeah, about that. I would love my nav screen in my z28
sabrescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #22
CanadianRocky
Convertible GonnaBe 4/11

Drives: Chrysler Aspen Hybrid
Quote:
I agree.

Back in the day it was all about performance. Z28's and Boss 302's, L-88's and ZL1's, Hemi powered Cuda's with aluminum fenders, no radios and no heaters ... cars designed by men for men and women who where not afraid of driving a real car.

Now it seems to be about the Bling. 21 inch wheels & Navigation systems. I saw a 4 X 4 truck the other day with 21 inch car tires.

It might be old school, but it was good school.

Now excuse me while I get in line at the drive thru to get my non-dairy moca frapachino.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #23
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
Other than the stuff about the Camaro, that was about the most depressing thing I have ever read. I really like the part where someone asks about the LNF in the Cruze (ie an SS model), and he completely ignores that and talks about the 1.4L that will be in the base model. What the crap? Just give us a real answer.
GM will still have the Cobalt SS next year and beyond that I would expect the plans to make or not to make a Cruze SS simply aren't set in stone. With the Cruze moving upmarket from the Cobalt and the newly released Camaro Chevy obviously won't going to be in a hurry for a Cruze SS though they aren't going to rule it out for the future. Crazy as it might sound I think there's a good chance that the next SS model will be a Beat/Spark SS in 2-3 years.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #24
stovt001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal View Post
GM will still have the Cobalt SS next year and beyond that I would expect the plans to make or not to make a Cruze SS simply aren't set in stone. With the Cruze moving upmarket from the Cobalt and the newly released Camaro Chevy obviously won't going to be in a hurry for a Cruze SS though they aren't going to rule it out for the future. Crazy as it might sound I think there's a good chance that the next SS model will be a Beat/Spark SS in 2-3 years.
Timing is a problem though. The WRX and Ralliart were new this year. The Mazdaspeed3 and GTI are new next year. Those four cars are probably the closest competitors to the SS. The Civic Si is too, and it is getting old as well, but people will buy it no matter what because it is a Honda. So my point is, to keep up with all the other hot hatches, GM will need a new, updated model, not just carry over the Cobalt SS. I love my Cobalt, but by now it has been passed up in styling, and even more so in interior design and quality. Performance is still good, but that performance needs to be adapted to a newer, better car.

Just a dream away
Old 06-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #25
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
there's a 2010 camaro???
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #26
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
There's no plans for it....BUT.....what are the four "special" camaro's pedders suspension is working on in Auburn Hills MI......Hmmmmmmmmm
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #27
MMI
Old School

Drives: 1967 Mustang GT Fastback
Not sure what I'll do now. I only buy rag-tops, here in the land of hot sunny weather. I have no use for a hard-top with less than 4 doors. Q1 2011 is a loooong way off. I'm guessing the Mustang vert will have the new 400 HP alloy V8 next summer (out about 9 months ahead of the Camaro vert)

Prior cars:
2005 Viper
2003 Corvette
2001 BMW M3
MMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:29 PM   #28
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
you sound like the 'Crop Circle' guy. They've shown how it's done and demonstrated the hoax but there are some who just won't accept the truth.
et tu brute

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote