Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
James Rothwell
Fresh meat.

Drives: Maybe Camaro
Coupe of (probably) moronic questions....

Hi,

Just signed up because I have some questions that Google couldn't seem to answer clearly.

I'm looking to buy a car, wasn't looking for a coupe at all, but this 2010 Camaro SS just landed on my lap. Only has 42,000km but it is 42,000 Dubai km so it probably has had a lifetimes worth of speed bumps and rubbish roads already.

Couple of questions, is there anything not so obvious that I should check. It seems to drive fine apart from some wheel allighnment and balancing issue. Brakes and steering are all good. AC is fine.

My main question also is, the passenger side headlamp (xenon) has failed. Is this common? I believe from Google that it is a D1S fitment and should cost about $400 per bulb? Is this correct? Is it best to replace in pairs? Is it possible that it isn't the bulb at all but a more expensive control unit, hardness or something else entirely?

Thanks for your help and I imagine I will be buying it, so once I get it registered I will take some photos of it. I have the car with me now but we had a massive sandstorm today so it looks awful.

But any general advice would also be very useful. Don't think I've ever actually had a Chevrolet before so maybe something very obvious to you guys would be a surprise to me. I'm used to mostly driving European cars.

James Rothwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
kd4hey
Motorhead Wannabe

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (L99) RJT
Send a message via Skype™ to kd4hey
A quick search on Google gave me aftermarket headlamp bulbs in the $15 USD range. Of course you will need to install yourself.

You might want to take the car to a trusted garage, (if that is an option), let them give it the once over. There's no insider info that I am aware of on these cars, or Chevrolet in general for that matter. I would be most concerned about the alignment & making certain there is no major damage. Being an SS, you can not rotate the tires & here they are about $200 each, so alignment becomes a major concern.

Hope this helps.

2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT VIN# 116938 Del: 27AUG2010 "Veronica" is a wet dream on wheels!
Former Ride: 2010 1LT RJT 15AUG2009 - 27AUG2010 "Victoria" was one fine lady! CamaroSouth - Columbia Chapter Member
kd4hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Paint sucks and stone chips really easy. Make sure the windows index when the doors close, they drop a 1\4" or so then full close after you close the door. This would always fail on the Jaguar and just waiting for the Camaro to do the same.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
James Rothwell
Fresh meat.

I did find those cheap bulbs too but I also found some pricey ones, I wasn't sure if they are the same thing or not.

I will get the car checked out by my workshop, I work for a dealer but not Chevrolet, but they can still check it and make sure it isn't a rolling wreck or an automotive money pit.

Yes the paint does seem a bit crap, the sand has had its effect on the bodywork, a decent polish will help it but the chips on the doors require painting if I'm really bothered but I'm not I will just leave it because if I paint it someone will only crash into it the following day anyway.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
James Rothwell
Fresh meat.

Well I couldn't find a replacement bulb at smaller places so I went to main dealer and they told me it is 1,600 dirhams which is like $430. Luckily though the manufacturer I work for uses the same fitment on a couple of their models so I found it cheaper through my parts department direct from Osram. So I shall change it tomorrow, and if I end up buying the car I will update the thread with some photos.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
if the bulbs are that expensive take it off the selling price. tell the seller you'll give him what he's asking minus $400
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:39 AM   #7
James Rothwell
Fresh meat.

Well I forgot to update this thread. I bought a Camaro SS 2010.
Quite a funny car to drive, I've wrecked a rear set of Pirellis already somehow and the small fuel tank is annoying. But all in all I quite like it.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Congrats and good luck. Looks like a good ride.
Happy motoring!

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:06 AM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
James, seeing has how you got the car......CONGRATS on your ride and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, dad's, wive's, husband's, girlfriend's and boyfriend's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 06-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
With all that sand, change your air filter often.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Congrats man! Yeah, the pirellis apparently dont hold up all too well.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Congratulations on your ride - and great pics!
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Congrats!!!
Old 06-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #14
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Congrats!!!