Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-14-2016, 08:31 PM   #15
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
My family has owned a gas station since 1922. Aeration and temperature during fuel transfer are common knowledge in the industry. Neither are going to cause any damage to your vehicle but you are not getting what you are paying for. The difference is minimal but there is a difference.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:36 PM   #16
jrhagen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rssscamaro View Post
Just guessing here, but that would be eddie! Exceptions must be made, he only has a v6.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:42 PM   #17
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Two things about whether nor not to fill up

While we're on the subject, I've been advised to always keep my tank at least half full because in a near-empty tank any debris floating around will be concentrated and pulled into the engine. Again, it seems that the fuel filter solves this problem, so I don't sweat it.

Inversely, I've also been told that a near-empty tank is good to have, because it weighs much less than a full tank, increasing gas mileage. That seems more like a hyper-miler concept because the weight difference is next to nothing compared to the entire weight of the car (a full tank only adds about 100 lbs.), so I just fill up anyway, and run it until it's near empty. If I was racing, I'd run on empty, only for acceleration reasons.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:56 PM   #18
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
While we're on the subject, I've been advised to always keep my tank at least half full because in a near-empty tank any debris floating around will be concentrated and pulled into the engine. Again, it seems that the fuel filter solves this problem, so I don't sweat it.

Inversely, I've also been told that a near-empty tank is good to have, because it weighs much less than a full tank, increasing gas mileage. That seems more like a hyper-miler concept because the weight difference is next to nothing compared to the entire weight of the car (a full tank only adds about 100 lbs.), so I just fill up anyway, and run it until it's near empty. If I was racing, I'd run on empty, only for acceleration reasons.
I always try not to let my tank get below half; not for any other reason then habit; don't recommend running it out of gas, but running lower then half won't make a difference. As far as 'lightening the load', you only need to consider that if you're going for your best 1/4 mile times. When I used to go to the track, I always tried to insure I had around an 1/8 of tank ... although not much, but every little bit makes a difference

Last edited by Welker2; 05-14-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Welker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:56 PM   #19
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rssscamaro View Post
If you have to ask.....haha
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:59 PM   #20
Windycity

Drives: Yellow 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
You should avoid getting gas while the tanker is off loading because the gas gets aerated during the transfer. You get less gas by volume pumped. Also, the gas in the tanker is probably at a higher temperature than that in the ground. Again, you get less gas by volume.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
My family has owned a gas station since 1922. Aeration and temperature during fuel transfer are common knowledge in the industry. Neither are going to cause any damage to your vehicle but you are not getting what you are paying for. The difference is minimal but there is a difference.
Kinda funny that a bunch of people that drive camaros are worried about pennies worth of gas. If thats a concern toyota makes a car called the prius that will solve the problem of saving gas....lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
While we're on the subject, I've been advised to always keep my tank at least half full because in a near-empty tank any debris floating around will be concentrated and pulled into the engine.

Actually i would think that driving around with an empty tank would be bad for the fuel pump since the movement of the fuel in the tank would have it constantly sucking in air and it would constantly having to re prime...that is why i dont let it get below a quarter tank
Windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:10 PM   #21
Iroc Drew

Drives: 2015 1LE 2SS/RS CRT NPP AYZ NAV SUN
I would never get gas with a tanker truck there filling the tanks. The first and last time I did my 92 camaro barely got me home a mile away and died in my driveway. The shop had to flush all the crud out of my fuel system. Actually received a letter from the oil company with a check reimbursing me for the bill.

1989 IROC Z L98.
2015 Silverado LT.
2015 2SS 1LE.
Iroc Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:15 PM   #22
jrhagen
Banned

[QUOTE=Windycity;9092965]Kinda funny that a bunch of people that drive camaros are worried about pennies worth of gas. If thats a concern toyota makes a car called the prius that will solve the problem of saving gas....lol

Who's worried about saving gas? Answers were given to a question asked.

I get about 8-10 mpg and couldn't care less.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:18 PM   #23
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
The pumps have filters...plus your car has a fuel filter that will catch anything....i think that avoiding a station while a truck is there is kinda silly
If they ever keep up with changing them, usually they are a afterthought at the pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
If you have to ask.....haha
Thanks for your mindless 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroc Drew View Post
I would never get gas with a tanker truck there filling the tanks. The first and last time I did my 92 camaro barely got me home a mile away and died in my driveway. The shop had to flush all the crud out of my fuel system. Actually received a letter from the oil company with a check reimbursing me for the bill.
Have heard this many times in the past.

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:48 PM   #24
Windycity

Drives: Yellow 1le
Quote:
Not saying this didn't happen to you or calling BS, and i know there is plenty of stories of bad gas and such but if the whole sediment/fuel truck thing is a real problem then wouldnt there be stalled cars everywhere since i see fuel trucks at stations all the time filling the tanks?
Windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:16 PM   #25
Ewey

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 6 speed black
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnuyokr View Post
Funny timing for this post. I filed up my boats 6 gallon gas tank plus an additional 2 1/2 gallon container on my way to camp at the Delaware Water Gap this weekend. Motor started on the first pull. Ran down river to pick up a friend and noticed power was off a bit. He got in the boat and it bogged down then died. Checked everything, had spark and gas to carberator. Got new gas, good to go. Never had that happen before!
Sounds like water in the fuel. Plus its a boat they are designed to break and make you spend money.
Ewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:17 PM   #26
Ewey

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 6 speed black
Quote:
Next time don't use diesel.
Ewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:21 PM   #27
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Keep it above a quarter tank. Your gasoline keeps the fuel pump cool. The difference of 3 gallons (quarter and low) or like 25-30 pounds isn't worth the stress on the pump.

There is much misconception around here it's insane. Just because you work at or own a gas station doesn't mean you know exactly how to account for fuel.

The next topic we should have is the one where we say which gas station sells "bad gas" and which ones sell "good gas"
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:02 AM   #28
Pete G

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiefuzz View Post
I just finished reading the thread where someone asked if Camaro5 is a hater forum. Lol. Maybe this is what it was referring to.
Pete G is offline   Reply With Quote