Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-15-2016, 07:03 AM   #29
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybeanrice View Post
Keep it above a quarter tank. Your gasoline keeps the fuel pump cool. The difference of 3 gallons (quarter and low) or like 25-30 pounds isn't worth the stress on the pump.

There is much misconception around here it's insane. Just because you work at or own a gas station doesn't mean you know exactly how to account for fuel.

The next topic we should have is the one where we say which gas station sells "bad gas" and which ones sell "good gas"
Would having an advanced degree in mechanical engineering mean you know exactly how to account for fuel?
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:05 AM   #30
Pete G

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE
So the quote I was referring to was " who left the bag of idiots open ? "
In response to an answer someone gave to the topic of this thread
Pete G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:08 AM   #31
jrhagen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete G View Post
So the quote I was referring to was " who left the bag of idiots open ? "
In response to an answer someone gave to the topic of this thread
No, that quote makes it a small penis forum.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:15 AM   #32
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
Would having an advanced degree in mechanical engineering mean you know exactly how to account for fuel?
If "advanced" included chemistry, sure. You'll need to do a cost comparison of time versus vapor collection of the entire system, thermal expansion of the gas, and whatever other waste of time people say about saving gas.

You're all talking about saving pennies. You could make a hundred bucks working a minimum wage job for less than 20 hours and save yourself the headache. Or if you really cared for gas, you would get an econobox. Or what about just changing what's in your control and make your engine more efficient?

I'm curious as to what makes someone's mechanical engineering "advanced". I guess if you have a PE, but then if you do, I doubt that you're anywhere near a gas station.
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:18 AM   #33
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
My dad would always tell me to avoid buying gas when the tanker was there. I would listen maybe only would pump during an emergency low situation. However the other day I went in to first with cash and the cashier asked me to wait while they finished pumping. Went back to my car and was about to leave when the tanker driver waived me back saying it's good now to pump. Very interesting.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:20 AM   #34
jrhagen
Banned

Quote:
If "advanced" included chemistry, sure. You'll need to do a cost comparison of time versus vapor collection of the entire system, thermal expansion of the gas, and whatever other waste of time people say about saving gas.

You're all talking about saving pennies. You could make a hundred bucks working a minimum wage job for less than 20 hours and save yourself the headache. Or if you really cared for gas, you would get an econobox. Or what about just changing what's in your control and make your engine more efficient?

I'm curious as to what makes someone's mechanical engineering "advanced". I guess if you have a PE, but then if you do, I doubt that you're anywhere near a gas station.

For the less educated among us, the advanced reference for degrees relates to Masters or greater.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:22 AM   #35
jrhagen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace View Post
My dad would always tell me to avoid buying gas when the tanker was there. I would listen maybe only would pump during an emergency low situation. However the other day I went in to first with cash and the cashier asked me to wait while they finished pumping. Went back to my car and was about to leave when the tanker driver waived me back saying it's good now to pump. Very interesting.
That was probably more due to the readings being made by the Veeder Root system than the quality of the gas.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:27 AM   #36
Soybeanrice

Quote:
For the less educated among us, the advanced reference for degrees relates to Masters or greater.
I went back on the thread and read your claim. It's very true that when the fuel is less dense (with air), that there must be more volume to make up for the same mass (m=d*v) . But I see an issue with your calculations because gas stations charge by volume (gallons) and your gas tank is also a volume (19 gallons). If I'm wrong let me know. I'm still a novice in math and Chem principles.

I guess the total cost comes to what is measuring the volume. Is it taking the mass transferred and dividing by a static density for fuel?

P.S. I've edited this one a couple times because I really want to think about it. Makes sense, but it's still an almost negligible amount of savings
Old 05-15-2016, 07:30 AM   #37
jrhagen
Banned

Quote:
I went back on the thread and read your claim. It's very true that the less dense the fuel, you'll be paying for more volume since m=DxV... But it's pennies man. At most a dollar and an inconvenience.
And if you had read all of the posts, you would have seen the one where I stated the impact is minimal.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:38 AM   #38
Soybeanrice

Quote:
And if you had read all of the posts, you would have seen the one where I stated the impact is minimal.
I saw and I totally agree with you
Old 05-15-2016, 07:45 AM   #39
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
The pumps have filters...plus your car has a fuel filter that will catch anything....i think that avoiding a station while a truck is there is kinda silly
Just the off chance that I might have to needlessly change my car's fuel filter is reason enough to keep going when there's a tank truck sitting there at the station. Why even take a chance?

My car's fuel filter is there to catch debris incidental to the transport and storage of that fuel that doesn't settle out or get trapped in the station's filtering. Not to cover for any avoidable laziness or thoughtlessness on my part.

Norm
Old 05-15-2016, 07:54 AM   #40
Iroc Drew

Drives: 2015 1LE 2SS/RS CRT NPP AYZ NAV SUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewey View Post
Next time don't use diesel.
Funny Guy.

1989 IROC Z L98.
2015 Silverado LT.
2015 2SS 1LE.
Iroc Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #41
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Quote:
Keep it above a quarter tank. Your gasoline keeps the fuel pump cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
Actually i would think that driving around with an empty tank would be bad for the fuel pump since the movement of the fuel in the tank would have it constantly sucking in air and it would constantly having to re prime...that is why i dont let it get below a quarter tank
I'd never even thought about that angle, but it makes perfect sense. So even though that didn't apply to the OP, I still got some helpful info.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:25 PM   #42
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
I'd never even thought about that angle, but it makes perfect sense.
It's really why cars now have a low fuel warning lamp - protecting the pump would be the mfr's interest (think warranty impact) rather than any inconvenience to you.

Norm