Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-03-2017, 01:04 PM   #1
HyperVertVA

Drives: 16' Hyper Blue V6 RS Convertible
Boy am I stupid

So I've had my new hyper blue convertible for a couple weeks and still really liking it. I saw on the info screen that all my tires were at 29 PSI instead of the 35 that's recommended on the door. So I get out my little trusty electric pump to inflate the tires but the end of the cigarette power adapter is broke. I then think to myself, hey my wife's van has one of these little electric pumps in the back of it, I'll use that instead. Big mistake, as soon as I inflate one of the tires and pull the hose off I see some white sticky stuff on the end of it, that electric pump had fix-a-flat built into it and I just pumped my tire full of it! So now I'm out 30 dollars to have the tire removed and it and my rim cleaned off. If only us men read directions I would have saw that the pump had the sealant in it, lol. Oh well, at least it was only a 30 dollar mistake.
HyperVertVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Usually, these portable air pumps that cars come with in lieu of a spare tire can actually either be used solely for air or air + fix-a-flax. At least, the ones GM uses work this way. So if you ever want to top off your tires, it's safe so long as you pay careful attention.

I use a Stanley J5C09 which is great. It's a bit bulky, but it has a car battery built in. It can be used for jumping the engine and for air. It can be plugged into a standard wall outlet when you need to top it off again.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
HyperVertVA

Yeah I'm thinking if I had read the instructions I probably would have found a way to use it just for air, but I had no idea the sealant was even an option so I think I just plugged it in, connected it up and turned it on. I've got an actual air compressor I used when finishing my basement for mynail guns. I'm going to use that from now on, I just had to find the right attachment for it to use on tires.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #4
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
Hilarious, thanks for sharing!
Old 07-03-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
That's why I just take mine to Discount Tire every month or so.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:04 PM   #6
Davis0079

Drives: 2016 1LT V6
Nitrogen fill tires...I take it to the dealer, they top them off. I go to the drag strip, I let it out....This is 90% of my relationship with my dealership.

On a side note, your tire is now out of balance. You need to get a tire shop to clean that shit out and rebalance it. Then go have the dealership purge the tires woth more nitrogen. That is, if you care what their filled with.
Davis0079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #7
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperVertVA View Post
So I've had my new hyper blue convertible for a couple weeks and still really liking it. I saw on the info screen that all my tires were at 29 PSI instead of the 35 that's recommended on the door. So I get out my little trusty electric pump to inflate the tires but the end of the cigarette power adapter is broke. I then think to myself, hey my wife's van has one of these little electric pumps in the back of it, I'll use that instead. Big mistake, as soon as I inflate one of the tires and pull the hose off I see some white sticky stuff on the end of it, that electric pump had fix-a-flat built into it and I just pumped my tire full of it! So now I'm out 30 dollars to have the tire removed and it and my rim cleaned off. If only us men read directions I would have saw that the pump had the sealant in it, lol. Oh well, at least it was only a 30 dollar mistake.

LOL....Yep.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #8
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
Quote:
...Yup, we've all been there........Thanks for sharing...
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #9
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Hahaha nice! I've done worst...thanks for sharing..
Old 07-03-2017, 06:41 PM   #10
Bow Tie Affair

Drives: 6th. Gen ZL1
Quote:
Now that is some funny shit! I can laugh because i have done worse!

Instructions? I don't need any stinking instructions! LOL!
Bow Tie Affair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:02 PM   #11
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
Funny.
LuvMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:52 PM   #12
HyperVertVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis0079 View Post
Nitrogen fill tires...I take it to the dealer, they top them off. I go to the drag strip, I let it out....This is 90% of my relationship with my dealership.

On a side note, your tire is now out of balance. You need to get a tire shop to clean that shit out and rebalance it. Then go have the dealership purge the tires woth more nitrogen. That is, if you care what their filled with.

Yep, I would have taken it back to the dealer because I see they charged me 100 bucks for nitrogen when I bought it and left the tires 6psi low, but I bought it from a dealer 2.5 hours away from here. I already had it cleaned out thankfully so it should be good to go now. Lesson learned lol.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:51 AM   #13
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
they charged you $100 for nitrogen? nitrogen is BS. there's nothing to gain with it over regular air.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:22 AM   #14
HyperVertVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
they charged you $100 for nitrogen? nitrogen is BS. there's nothing to gain with it over regular air.

I don't remember discussing it, but it's printed right in the purchase order. Probably something they hit everyone up for, if I'd had seen it I would have tried to get it removed.