Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 09-17-2018, 11:20 PM   #1
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Michelin PA-4 N-Spec (Porsche) Snow Tire Review

Looks like some old stock 265/40/19 are available for $133/tire, I plan on running a square winter setup so I can rotate. Both Michelin PA-4 "N-Spec" and Conti TS830 are the same price.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...N0OLD&i1_Qty=4

I went for the Michelins as I had them on my STi and they did well in both snow and cold, dry pavement. Performance snows will make your car far nicer to drive in the winter vs other options imo. Not sure how many are left but either one seems like a good tire for a $1000 less than regular price. Total was actually <$500 delivered to my door after mail-in rebate.

I talked to a sales rep and they are 2012 stock. The Contis are the same as the current offering, the exact same tire. The PA4s are a Porsche specific directional version but similar to a regular PA4.

Looking at wheels, there seems to be some options in 19 x 9.5, 20mm offset, 5x120. These would also fit 275s which would be a more common size when the 265s wear out.

I think it's a good compromise between spending big $ on 1LE sized snow tires and a stock SS staggered setup which can also be pricey and not rotatable. I'm also not sure how well 305/20 snow tires would work out. Possibly really well on hard packed snow because you have a ton of edges, but really poorly in more slushy snow because of the excessive width. I ran 245s on my STi and it's a snowmobile, the thing could go stupid fast on snow surfaces. I think 265ish should work well for the Camaro, which weighs a few hundred lbs more.

Last edited by DaveC113; 02-27-2020 at 04:10 PM.
DaveC113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:10 PM   #2
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
They're cheap because the tires are already 6 years old.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:06 PM   #3
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
They're cheap because the tires are already 6 years old.
Yes! 2018 - 2012 = 6. Good job!

I was told they are still current models and I'm guessing Tire Rack hasn't stored them outdoors in the sun.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #4
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Still old AF meaning by time they hit 3 seasons.. they are 10 years old.. perhaps OK for one season n dump 'em

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:45 PM   #5
Klayman

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Still old AF meaning by time they hit 3 seasons.. they are 10 years old.. perhaps OK for one season n dump 'em
we're not all tire eaters....lol

(isn't there 4 seasons per 1 year?)
Old 09-18-2018, 08:11 PM   #6
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
3 seasons?

I'm not putting these on my Camry!
Old 09-18-2018, 09:29 PM   #7
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klayman View Post
we're not all tire eaters....lol

(isn't there 4 seasons per 1 year?)

Meant to say 3 season, ie 3 winters.. who the hell runs winter tires in summer unless you are doing rally events ? Come April, I am itching for moorrree grip!

The snowy rooster tails will be missed.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:03 PM   #8
DaveC113

The way things are going with the weather around here, I have snow tires on the car fewer and fewer weeks each year and spend a much larger portion of the time on dry pavement instead of snow. I hope we get decent snow this year!

As far as age I think the tires will be fine, they won't disintegrate. A quick google search yielded this in the first portion of the search.

When properly stored in a climate controlled warehouse, tires have an almost unlimited shelf life, and once they're on the road, proper care can add many years to a tire's life. "In general, we see six years of service with no more than 10 years of total life since manufacture."Apr 28, 2015

I think I might get 2 winters out of them so it'll be less than 10 years. Saving $1k on top of the line tires is not trivial to me, I'd normally spring for the Michelin PA4s at regular price if I had to.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:25 AM   #9
woodsky

Drives: ss 1le
Love this thread, Just got hit by snow last night, lovely Canada. I was looking those PA4s last night, was about to ask them if those were old tires...lol, I thought those were from last year and even worry about it until you said it's 6 years old. Still not sure about them because of the age, need do some search. Are you planning to run square? What's the offset on your wheels? I'm worried if a narrow tire looks bad on 1le? maybe with small offset will do?
woodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:08 PM   #10
DaveC113

Just an update...

The 265/40/19 Michelin PA4 N-Spec tires are doing a great job. I'm halfway through the 2nd winter on them. These tires are still available and I just saw them on a brand new Macan on the Throttle House review recently posted on YT.

Looks like I'll get 3 winters out of them and I do occasionally use them to their full potential. The car is still fun to drive with these tires but obviously nowhere near the grip of stock 1LE tires! But they ride soft, quiet and require far less steering corrections.

Currently running track alignment with zero toe and wear looks very even. Being able to rotate them is a big plus, rears do wear faster than fronts.

As far as snow performance, way better vs all seasons but not as good as pure snows like X-Ice.