Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-26-2019, 10:58 AM   #85
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Got out to the track last night after work. Weather started off in the high 50s and it was falling. After about a hour and half of driving to the track, straight from tech onto the staging lanes, there were very few cars at the time. While in the staging lanes, I lower my tires ET Street Rs to 20 PSI. Burnout was fine as always, thanks GM for the built in line lock! Take off and immediately stumble about half second in 1.79 60' and scampered to a 11.49 at 123MPH. Odd since I have never had this car stumble on me right off the line ever in the 20+ passes so far on the car. Go right back in the staging since there still wasn't that many cars there yet. I almost get back to the front to make a pass then a stupid Subaru decided to launch, crack his transmission and proceed to oil down the whole middle of the track. Great, that's 2 hours of clean up and track prep. At least I can let the car cool all the way down. Now with all this down time, the track is getting cooler and more and more people are coming to the track and the staging lanes are getting packed! The line to get into the track was probably a 1/4 mile long at least. I knew this was going to be one of those 2 pass nights. Finally got back up the staging line, launched and spun a little off the line, pulled a low 1.72 60' (best so far) running a 11.24@124MPH. Not my best pass ever (11.22@124mph x3).

I called it a night right after that since there were so many breakages and so many cars at the track last night. Understandable since it's boost weather and the DA was around -900ish ft. While it's still inconclusive so far if the Diff update works at the track since I didn't get enough time to make a super clean pass to make a judgement yet. But driving around with everything turned off, with my ET Street Rs, I can feel a more solid lock up of the rear. It's much easier for me to spin the rears then before. I might go back in a couple of weeks when I get some more time and while the weather is still pretty decent for racing.
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:10 AM   #86
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
A spin and a 1.72 sounds like maybe things are going to improve.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:05 PM   #87
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
I hope you get back to the track. I'm really curious if there's anything to be gained with this tune, other than some piece of mind that your diff should be slipping way less or not at all.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #88
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7WSM View Post
Got out to the track last night after work. Weather started off in the high 50s and it was falling. After about a hour and half of driving to the track, straight from tech onto the staging lanes, there were very few cars at the time. While in the staging lanes, I lower my tires ET Street Rs to 20 PSI. Burnout was fine as always, thanks GM for the built in line lock! Take off and immediately stumble about half second in 1.79 60' and scampered to a 11.49 at 123MPH. Odd since I have never had this car stumble on me right off the line ever in the 20+ passes so far on the car. Go right back in the staging since there still wasn't that many cars there yet. I almost get back to the front to make a pass then a stupid Subaru decided to launch, crack his transmission and proceed to oil down the whole middle of the track. Great, that's 2 hours of clean up and track prep. At least I can let the car cool all the way down. Now with all this down time, the track is getting cooler and more and more people are coming to the track and the staging lanes are getting packed! The line to get into the track was probably a 1/4 mile long at least. I knew this was going to be one of those 2 pass nights. Finally got back up the staging line, launched and spun a little off the line, pulled a low 1.72 60' (best so far) running a 11.24@124MPH. Not my best pass ever (11.22@124mph x3).

I called it a night right after that since there were so many breakages and so many cars at the track last night. Understandable since it's boost weather and the DA was around -900ish ft. While it's still inconclusive so far if the Diff update works at the track since I didn't get enough time to make a super clean pass to make a judgement yet. But driving around with everything turned off, with my ET Street Rs, I can feel a more solid lock up of the rear. It's much easier for me to spin the rears then before. I might go back in a couple of weeks when I get some more time and while the weather is still pretty decent for racing.

Did you notice any changes at all in the instrument cluster menus? Something to indicate it’s there?

I still want to know exactly what modes this new calibration is active in. Does it need to be everything off (5 second hold), or is it active in TC off or Sport Competitive mode? Sport comp mode lets you do just about anything, but I think there’s still some loose stability control protection present. That’s the mode I ran my 10.79 in.

I’m guessing you jump through modes if you use the line lock at the track. PTM for the burnout, then everything off for launch? That seemed like a pain in the ass to me, so I haven’t used the line lock at the track yet.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:03 AM   #89
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
No new menus. Everything works the same as before.
Going through the menus to the PTM isn't that bad if you have done it a couple of times. Especially when I have it set ready to go when in line. Lots of starting and stopping, especially when people are breaking down.
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:24 AM   #90
BMWM.D.

Quote:
No new menus. Everything works the same as before.
Going through the menus to the PTM isn't that bad if you have done it a couple of times. Especially when I have it set ready to go when in line. Lots of starting and stopping, especially when people are breaking down.
Okay, thanks.

So do we know for sure what modes the drag calibration is active in? It almost sounds like it needs the full 5 second hold to work.

I’m really hoping it works in Competitive mode (double tap in Sport). It has all the benefits of the 5 second press for drag racing, but is easier to get to, and I believe there is still some kind of safety net still there if you really get out of shape.

I want to do this, but some in depth user documentation from GM would be nice.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:22 PM   #91
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:

Thanks! Are you stock other than the tires? Sounds hopeful, but shouldn't low to mid low to mid 1.6s be very possible with a 580 RWHP 3,900 pound car? I plan to try the mod once Atco opens.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:07 PM   #92
big dave

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I guess I'm the only one here who's in the dark as to how this calibration is supposed to work in drag racing. It is somehow going to work in conjunction with TM? I don't understand how it's going to help the Z launch, I thought TM is the culprit that's truly keeping the Z's from launching to their true potential.
'13 ZL1 BRM A6. 11.591 @ 119.2 factory stock with a 1.68 60'! Best stock mph 121.8. 11.29 @ 123 RotoFab, drag radials and skinnies. 4360# raceweight.
http://youtu.be/yggIA3C_kkA 2014... back to stock
http://youtu.be/spQLaTWbThs 2013... stock & RotoFab
big dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:29 PM   #93
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Dave, I don't think it's going to help us launch any better at all. I think it's more of a preventative maintenance, where it will lock the diff solid/more solid, and prevent excess wear on the clutches in the diff. Sounds like it is only active when everything is turned off, so if one planned to use line lock and launch control, you wouldn't be using the drag tune for the diff. That makes no sense to me, if I'm reading that right.

This is why we need a separate drag mode menu. Enter drag mode, and the diff automatically locks. Then choose whether you want to use launch control or run without any traction/launch aid. This should all be quickly accessible, where we could turn it on right before we pull to the water box. Once we've made our choice, line lock would automatically be waiting for us to engage it. After the burnout, if you chose LC, the menu would already be waiting in case you want to make a last second change to your settings or even cancel launch control and run without it. If you had chosen to run without LC, then the option to turn it on would be there. This would make the entire process so much smoother and faster.

Like you said, TM is what's holding us back from great 60s. Maybe they could even throw in adjustable TM for us in the drag mode menu, so we could increase or decrease torque delivery based on track conditions. This would allow us to launch more aggressively on a well prepped track or set it to what we have or maybe even a touch less aggressive than that, if we happen to be on a little to no prep surface.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
Old 01-28-2019, 08:18 PM   #94
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17CamaroZL1 View Post
Dave, I don't think it's going to help us launch any better at all. I think it's more of a preventative maintenance, where it will lock the diff solid/more solid, and prevent excess wear on the clutches in the diff. Sounds like it is only active when everything is turned off, so if one planned to use line lock and launch control, you wouldn't be using the drag tune for the diff. That makes no sense to me, if I'm reading that right.

This is why we need a separate drag mode menu. Enter drag mode, and the diff automatically locks. Then choose whether you want to use launch control or run without any traction/launch aid. This should all be quickly accessible, where we could turn it on right before we pull to the water box. Once we've made our choice, line lock would automatically be waiting for us to engage it. After the burnout, if you chose LC, the menu would already be waiting in case you want to make a last second change to your settings or even cancel launch control and run without it. If you had chosen to run without LC, then the option to turn it on would be there. This would make the entire process so much smoother and faster.

Like you said, TM is what's holding us back from great 60s. Maybe they could even throw in adjustable TM for us in the drag mode menu, so we could increase or decrease torque delivery based on track conditions. This would allow us to launch more aggressively on a well prepped track or set it to what we have or maybe even a touch less aggressive than that, if we happen to be on a little to no prep surface.
I agree that it seems like they didn’t do a great job of implementing this new calibration. It really should have been a standalone drag mode that gave access to line lock without any PTM intervention.

I still don’t understand why line lock is only available in PTM. It’s meant for drag racing, but I’m not sure who’d want to drag race in any of the PTM modes (unless you’re using launch control). I know I don’t. Now we can get a new feature meant for drag racing, but the line lock doesn’t work when it’s active. I’m a little disappointed if this is all true.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:20 AM   #95
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I agree that it seems like they didn’t do a great job of implementing this new calibration. It really should have been a standalone drag mode that gave access to line lock without any PTM intervention.

I still don’t understand why line lock is only available in PTM. It’s meant for drag racing, but I’m not sure who’d want to drag race in any of the PTM modes (unless you’re using launch control). I know I don’t. Now we can get a new feature meant for drag racing, but the line lock doesn’t work when it’s active. I’m a little disappointed if this is all true.
I don't get it either. Line lock should be available anytime we want to use it. I was planning on trying out launch control at the track some this year, now that I have some drag tires for the rear, to see if it might work ok with extra grip. That way I could save my rear brakes by using line lock. I can't stand trying to use line lock the way it's setup. Go into PTM, use it, then take the car out of PTM and hold the button forever to turn everything off. Takes too long and I'm sure everyone is wondering what the heck you're doing. I've not tried it since discovering Sport Comp. Maybe that wouldn't be as bad, but it still needs to be more user friendly, and that still wouldn't address the way this diff tune is setup. We will have to sit there switching in and out of modes to use line lock, it sounds.

I'm hoping this is a start to us getting all of the drag tunes GM has been working on, and maybe they will give us a drag mode later, with the shock and trans tunes. I really thought they'd lump it all together. Diff, shocks, trans, and engine. Fingers crossed for getting it all soon, including a separate drag mode.

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
Old 01-29-2019, 09:45 AM   #96
BMWM.D.

^^^ Agreed.

I’ve just been doing an old fashioned brake stand at the track for the same reason. It really doesn’t make sense.

I don’t know about everyone else, but I would have happily paid twice what this calibration is going for if it was actually set up properly with a separate menu and such. Makes you wonder if they did ANY market research on this or consulted any owners that actually run these cars at the strip. Cool idea, bad execution.

Is that ‘Ask Al’ thing still going? These would be great questions for him.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:36 AM   #97
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
Is that ‘Ask Al’ thing still going? These would be great questions for him.
Yes a very good question for that thread, but it probably needs to be updated to "ASK MARK"
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #98
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Be nice if Chevy could simply install a simple button/switch to push for a drag race mode. How hard would that be? Way too much bs for a modern car. Just build the car with parts strong enough to handle the available power and launch like it is built to do so. That way they won't have to worry so much about warranty $$$$.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote