Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 03-31-2020, 04:25 PM   #1
Steves ss

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Black
Cam

Hello all. I have a 2010 Camaro SS with the L99. I have the basic bolt ons now. I’m looking to do a cam. Any one have this done on their L99. What are your thoughts and how do you like it. What other things need to be replaced when you install a cam. Thanks.
Steves ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:42 PM   #2
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
It's a pretty big job but any capable mechanic can complete it. The L99 cam installs are a bit more complicated then an LS3. You'll need to remove the AFM/DOD and some even remove the VVT. However, there are plenty of killer VVT cams out there.

Removing the AFM/DOD means you'll have to replace the lifters. The 8 dod lifters have to go but we recommend to replace all 16 for a fresh start. You'll need to replace the valley cover or get dod plugs. We carry afm/dod delete kits that will include everything you need to accomplish this, Lifters, head gaskets, head bolts and the dod plugs.

To do the cam itself you'll need to pull the balancer, water pump, fans, radiator and front cover. I think the alternator needs to be moved out of the way to get to the last couple front cover bolts. It's a good idea to replace the front cover gasket, water pump gaskets and front seal. You'll need a new crank bolt as well. All this is included in our cam kits with a set of dual valve springs and new pushrods. Changing the valve springs can be the most time consuming part of the build and the only thing that really needs a special tool besides the balancer.

If you decide to go with a non VVT cam you'll need a VVT delete kit. They are pretty simple. New cam gear set up and a new front cover.

It's a great reason to get in the garage over the next couple weeks. Something to do. If you don't want to give it a shot give us a call.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:44 PM   #3
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
I did the full LS3 conversion with LS7 lifters, BTR stage 2 cam with stock converter. I love it, it completely changed the car. It really screams and pulls after 3500 rpm and high rpm range. I would do it again if I had to. The only downside would be that the car needs to be fully warmed up before driving (8 to 10 minutes). If you try to drive the car too early it will stall. Also your oil change intervals change to 3000 miles and need to use better oil. It definitely sounds amazing with the chop and the driving experience has gotten better.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:55 PM   #4
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEssence View Post
I did the full LS3 conversion with LS7 lifters, BTR stage 2 cam with stock converter. I love it, it completely changed the car. It really screams and pulls after 3500 rpm and high rpm range. I would do it again if I had to. The only downside would be that the car needs to be fully warmed up before driving (8 to 10 minutes). If you try to drive the car too early it will stall. Also your oil change intervals change to 3000 miles and need to use better oil. It definitely sounds amazing with the chop and the driving experience has gotten better.

You should really have a converter with that cam. Anything above stage 1 for most cam mfgs recommend it.

Something else to consider for the OP. Any significant cam will recommend going with a after market stall converter.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote