Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #141
spacecowby

Drives: 2010 black 2SS/RS
Junkman, I know you said you were going to post a glass cleaning video sometime. If you have could you link it in here? I hate having streaks on my windows at night. Doesn't seems like windex and paper towel are doing the trick.

Black cars are not hobbies, they are an obsession
spacecowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #142
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
I haven't posted it yet but eeeww.... Windex? Have you seen Adam's Glass Cleaner (and sealant)? I always thought glass cleaner was glass cleaner until I tried that stuff. There may be other stuff out there that is just as good but that's the first stuff I've ever tried that worked that good.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #143
KevinGolshani

Drives: Camaro 2 LT
Why the change from Zaino to Adam's?

Pardon me if this question has already been asked in this thread.

I'd really like to know the real reason for the switch from Zaino to Adam's products...

I've watched all the videos you've posted on your youtube account and it looked like you were very persistant in using Zaino.

And I say this in all respect towards you as I can see you are very experienced in detailing, but it seems as if you got hired by Adam's and began to advertise their products instead of Zaino for some reason.

Are you allowed to give me a product referal merely based on your opinion?

I'd like to know what product has TRULEY worked for you.

Thanks Man
KevinGolshani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #144
Tecca

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGolshani View Post

I'd really like to know the real reason for the switch from Zaino to Adam's products...

I've watched all the videos you've posted on your youtube account and it looked like you were very persistant in using Zaino.

And I say this in all respect towards you as I can see you are very experienced in detailing, but it seems as if you got hired by Adam's and began to advertise their products instead of Zaino for some reason.

Thanks Man
Woah dude, breathe. AJ is a excellent detailer and as stated Zaino and Adams are two different beasts in detailing.

I see what you are saying that he works for Adam's and that he is simply being a great salesman. However I think the thing here is TECHNIQUE, he shows you the proper way of taking care of your ride. That is the one thing you should take away from his videos.

I don't use either product but I do refer to his techniques, I can't answer all your questions as they are directed towards the Junkman but I can off you this advice.

Do follow his techniques and learn some more advanced ways of doimg them.
Have fun detailing your car
The internet is your friend, do some research in different products. autopia.org and detailedimage.com have excellent info and guides into detailing your car
Lastly use the product that you think is best, AJ likes Adams, Ssooch likes NXT, I like Blackfire, and Moose likes Zaino there are tons of options out there don't settle on the one everyone is buying because sometimes it is just hype or what I call the flavor of the month.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #145
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
I started watching a lot of the other video's on Junkman's youtube channel and I didn't see any using Zaino products except for ZPC. Junkman did you do a similar series with Zaino?

And Junkman - after watching your wet sanding videos I'm now a pro and am ready to take the 1000 grit paper to take the swirls off my paint!
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #146
Coop

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Hey Junk I have tried the Adams glass cleaner and am a little disappointed. It leaves streaks big time and I use glass cleaning towels.
2010 Camaro 1SS Inferno Orange Magnusson Supercharger Installed and Tuned by ADM Performance, Roto Fab CAI IOM painted, MBRP Cat Back Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Shifter, Clear Image Headers, Pedders coilovers, BMR Front/Rear sway bars Trailing Arms and End Links, VMax ported TB
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #147
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Thanks for the questions Kevin! I will answer them in explicit detail.

Quote:

The REAL reason that I switched from Zaino to Adam's is because of one word: Time.

Allow me to elaborate. Time and laziness. The total secret to a showroom shine behind Zaino is multiple coats. As I say in my Zaino videos, "The more coats you do, the better it looks to you!" This is what Sal Zaino, the founder of Zaino preaches and every knowledgeable Zaino user will vouch to that. For me, going around my car once was time consuming because I work so slow. Thus, to do two or more coats AND ensure that all my paint's imperfections were gone took me quite a few days. In my videos, I stated that I need at least one week to prep the car for one days worth of driving. One would think that I was performing maintenance on an airplane or something.

That is probably not normal for most Zaino users here but then most Zaino users here are not as OCD as I am, nor are they working on 9 year old paint. Lastly, they are probably not as slow as I am. I got to the point where I was rubbing on the car more than I was driving it and that had to change. One thing my car is NOT, is a garage queen. With 115,000 miles on her, you can tell that I believe in driving it. I will never sell it so when the engine is toast, I'll put in a new one.

Quote:
There are almost 90 videos on You Tube that I have posted. Only 5 of that 90 use Zaino products so I'm somewhat lost by your use of the word "persistent". Maybe you can elaborate.

Quote:
The sole reason I make the videos I do is for instructional purposes. Neither Zaino, Adam's, AitoGeek of Meguiar's have paid me a dime to do those videos. I do them to share what I know about paint maintenance. The payment that I receive is the many people I have met who have thanked me from afar and in person, from all over the globe. To hear the enthusiasm and joy in their voices, as well as through their post is reward enough for me. Because I have not marketed my videos for sell, I have reaped more than any amount of money can buy. That reward has been the many friends that I have made through the free sharing of information. True Internet purist will tell you that this is what the Internet was originally conceived to do. I could not have bought the warmth and friendships that those videos have brought me.

The reason I use Adam's as my teaching tool of choice is because of one word: Simplicity.

There are no multiple coats or 50 different product to choose from. There are no OTC and professional products to choose from. There are 2 polishes and a wax. Add to that, they are color coded to match the pads. I was so lost when I was first turned on to Zaino. No one wants to read page after page of how to's and that was what I needed to do in order to get a full understanding of how to use Zaino. The premise of me making those videos in the first place was to clear up a lot of the confusion for others who were new to Zaino. Sal thanked me personally. That's the reason those videos are still there. Because I have a lot of respect for Sal. He always took my phone calls and answered my 50 million questions. I know I got on his last nerve but he was always helpful.

With Adam's, I can go around the car once with each product when doing the initial correction, and then do my touch ups with what I need to use afterward. No need for multiple coats and I end up achieving the same shine. Since I can achieve the same shine with Adam's in less time that I was able to get with Zaino, the change was pretty much a no brainer for me. That doesn't mean that Adam's is better than Zaino, that means that Adam's is better than Zaino FOR ME. Your experience might be 180 degrees from mine when it comes to using Zaino. Thus, I always tell guys who ask me which is better, "It's not a question of which is better, it's a question of which is better FOR YOU."

Ask yourself which car is better, a Ferrari or a minivan? If you take into consideration that the car is for a family of 6, your choice becomes very evident, even though the answer appeared to evident when the question was first asked.

Quote:
You betcha, and I hope that if you have read a bunch of my post on this forum and seen that my honest opinion is all I have ever given.

Quote:

Thanks Man
By now, you know the answer to that question. The key thing you should take from this is that in the end, it had NOTHING to do with how much my paint shined.

My car on Zaino, back when it was my product of choice:

My car on Adam's now (with no wax applied):

Now the lighting and time of day is different in both of these pictures but had I not told you what product created my shine, anyone who I would have asked would be doing nothing more than guessing. The shine as you see is the same. Why guys argue about which is better because of the shine is beyond me. They should DISCUSS which product is better for them and why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
I started watching a lot of the other video's on Junkman's youtube channel and I didn't see any using Zaino products except for ZPC. Junkman did you do a similar series with Zaino?
Yes, my very first series. A guy asked me how I washed my car and as I started answering him, my post started turning into a novel. That's when I found You Tube. The rest is history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
And Junkman - after watching your wet sanding videos I'm now a pro and am ready to take the 1000 grit paper to take the swirls off my paint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Hey Junk I have tried the Adams glass cleaner and am a little disappointed. It leaves streaks big time and I use glass cleaning towels.
Two reasons that you are having issues. One, you haven't watched my videos on how to properly clean your windows. At Camaro5 Fest, I demonstrated this technique to a very impressed crowd.

Reason two, you're doing it wrong.

I haven't uploaded the videos yet but you can bet a thread is a comin'.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 05-20-2010 at 05:00 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:45 AM   #148
KevinGolshani

Drives: Camaro 2 LT
Thanks a lot Junkman,

My basic point was to see whether or not there would be a diference in the conclusion of using Zaino Vs. Adams. Hope I wasn't too harsh on you.
(BTW Kinda cool watching a whole bunch of videos on someone and then having them email you back hehehe )

Another question I have is about ZFX from Zaino. I'm having trouble understading its use and why or why not I would need it. Could you help me out
KevinGolshani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:43 AM   #149
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
... Another question I have is about ZFX from Zaino. I'm having trouble understading its use and why or why not I would need it. Could you help me out
You were not harsh at all. Those were good and fair questions that you asked. I would be skeptical of me too if I could not answer them.

I had the same confusion back when I first started using Zaino. ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive is suppose to speed up the drying and curing times of Z2, Z3 and Z5. Zaino states that this is critical for those who wish to rapidly layer those products. How or if it works is beyond me as I never used it. I still have a brand new package of it in my garage. With the heat we have in Kentucky, drying times was not an issue.

Now that I understand the lingo of the business, I can read the Zaino instructions and everything that I read makes complete sense. As a novice, practically none of it made sense to me. This is another reason that Adam's makes such an excellent teaching tool. Every product that you use in the paint correction process has a defined purpose, and you actually see that product work the first time you use it. That is very important to the novice user, especially one who may be skeptical of the entire process of paint correction.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #150
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Thank you Junkman for all the info and vids….there is a lot of hard work and TIME in getting those vids done and posted…A picture is worth a thousand words for sure…..
I use Zaino Z-5 and in process of trying Adams wax. I am not going to multiple coat wax my new Sierra crew cab…I am preparing to try the paint correction info on my 04 TSX. I need to a have this down by the time I get a Camaro, Vet, Gt or Chall…
Look forward to the window cleaning vid/thread. I am using Adams window cleaner and it does make the glass disappear…at least on my new windshield…I must be using their window towels wrong as they tend to bunch up on me and not move well on the glass?? I start with a clean/washed glass. I pulled out one of the my costco yellow bandits/oil checking rag and it worked better…I did not wash the Adams glass towel first and I think that is my mistake…
Like most things it takes awhile with a new product to get it right…well pleased with all of Adams products and service…. I cannot say enough about their towels, applicators (esp the tire one), brushes and cleaners….!

Thanks again Junkman…
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #151
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Thanks for posting Stex. As for the window cleaner, you actually stumbled up on a secret although you didn't realize it. If the towel doesn't move smoothly across the glass, then the glass is still dirty! That grabbing towel is the gauge you use to figure if the windows is clean or not. How about that!

I have quite a few videos in the works so stay tuned!

Old 05-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #152
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
@ Junkman
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:35 PM   #153
Coop

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
So can you explain how to properly clean a window? I mean what type of towel do I need to clean it with?
2010 Camaro 1SS Inferno Orange Magnusson Supercharger Installed and Tuned by ADM Performance, Roto Fab CAI IOM painted, MBRP Cat Back Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Shifter, Clear Image Headers, Pedders coilovers, BMR Front/Rear sway bars Trailing Arms and End Links, VMax ported TB
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #154
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
So can you explain how to properly clean a window? I mean what type of towel do I need to clean it with?
I can explain it in video, much better than I can explain it with word. In words, there is no way for me to get my visual points across. Remember, a picture is worth a thousand of those boogers. A video is worth a million.