Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-13-2021, 02:29 PM   #1
2011RS73

Drives: Chevy Camaro RS and SS
2011 Camaro radio locked

I had to replace my factory radio with another i got off ebay. It says locked on it. Anyone know how to unlock it?
2011RS73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 02:47 PM   #2
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Instructions-Unlocking Radio

This was written by jujofields and he told me to pass it on:

There's no need for you to have your VIN number handy...follow these instructions and you'll be good to go:

How to unlock your radio:

1. Press and hold the preset button 2 & 3 or 1 & 4 for older radios, about 6 to 9 seconds Until the first 2 or 3 digits of the display code are displayed.

2. Write the numbers down.

3. Press the AM/FM button; write down the next 2 or 3 numbers.

4. Call 1-800-537-5140

The recording will ask you to enter a number corresponding to a subsidary of GM ie, press 1 for Chevrolet, 2 for Pontiac...Ignore this and enter the following number 106010 and hit the star button *. Now enter the numbers you obtained from the radio itself followed by the star * key, and in mere seconds, you'll have a valid unlock code.

5. Use the HR button on the radio to enter the first 2 digits of the unlock code, and the MN button to enter the second 2 digits of the unlock code. Now press AM/FM and you're done. Unlocked radio! Per google search
Old 11-13-2021, 03:12 PM   #3
2011RS73

Yeah i tried all that and nothing🤣 they make this soo complicated.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2021, 03:13 PM   #4
2011RS73

I don't know why the picture is upside down🤣
Old 11-16-2021, 10:49 PM   #5
webbch

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I only just got my 2012, and haven't yet disconnected the battery, but I suspect the instructions above pertain to a a radio that is locked, but was originally installed in said vehicle (like disconnecting the battery perhaps or ??)

Your ebay radio is locked is because the VIN from the donor vehicle is programmed into an EEPROM on the radio, and not _your_ vehicle's VIN. You can send it somewhere to have it programmed for about $300, or you can re-program the EEPROM yourself if you're electrically inclined and/or adventurous. Just be aware that it's likely possible to brick the radio if you're careless while doing it and didn't save off a good copy of the EEPROM before making changes. If you still have the old radio, you could practice reading/writing the EEPROM on that I suppose depending on how functional it is.

I have a 2012 that I'm planning to do that operation on when I get around to it, as I have a MyLink and wiring from a 2015 that I need to install in it.
webbch is offline   Reply With Quote