Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 08-30-2023, 08:28 AM   #1
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Car overheated, cooling fan runs for a second, then reverses

Hey guys, my car overheated the other day. I left it idling in the parking lot while I got some groceries and came back to an idle overheat message. OLM is now at 0% (understandably) and I drove it home after it sat for a couple of hours.

Today it's in for an oil change and diagnosis. The cooling fan doesn't run, it will spin in the normal direction for a second, stops, then will reverse direction for a second. It never fully spins up causing the engine to overheat while idle. Has anyone else come across this issue with their Camaro? Here's a short video of the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/RJaB-IrJnF8

Edit: Dealership called, cooling fan is bad, they want $1,200 for the fix (~$750 for the fan), I found the OEM fan on RockAuto for about $330 shipped, so I got that ordered. Has anyone replaced their cooling fan? It doesn't seem like it should be that difficult to swap out, so I'm going to look into doing it myself.

Last edited by SPARTAN sui; 08-30-2023 at 09:54 AM.
SPARTAN sui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 01:43 PM   #2
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I think the fan control module is part of the fan motor assembly. Hard to know if your module went bad or the motor itself. Do not know how hard this is to swap.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 04:02 PM   #3
S1lent

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
I've never done it but here's a PDF of the procedure.
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AqME6TFaqzmAiNAe...ul6zw?e=9cUdoz
S1lent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 04:13 PM   #4
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1lent View Post
Nice of you to share... I know that the factory tune does have a provision to kick the fans on after shut down. I've modified those in HPT to keep them on for about 5 min at 30% to help dissipate heat after shut down, based on ECT.

Fans running backwards is confusing, and I agree, it's likely an issue with the control module not the fan.

I did have to remove / install the fan during my engine removal, and recall it being a pretty big PITA. But if you are handy, have a 1/2 day and the right tools, you can do it. Might as well throw a cam in there while your at it
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 05:58 PM   #5
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1lent View Post
Holy shit! Thanks a lot dude! You're awesome! This is exactly what I wanted to know!

I have a stupid question, if I'm reading everything correctly, it looks like I have to drain the coolant from the system since I'll be removing the upper radiator inlet hose, can I drain only just some of the coolant, or should I drain the entire system? I'm not trying to be cheap or anything, if all of it needs to come out, that's fine, I just remember when I did my thermostat replacement I didn't drain the coolant, I just got it up on jack stands (like how lethal camaro did his) and only some of it spilled out into a small bag I taped under the thermostat housing.

From my understanding, I think you guys are right, the module is bad, not really the fan or fan motor. It spins freely, doesn't bind up or feel difficult to move. Here's hoping that module is part of the fan itself or the issue is within this component! I'll keep everyone posted for sure.