Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-23-2010, 09:43 AM   #15
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
This build basically requires me to replace everything that makes the wheels move. If I am to go through with it for the sake of building something crazy, then I'm going to want to know what the costs are before I decide to do it.
then go V8 from the start. That's my input, for what it is worth
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #16
Mankind
Whats a Millwright?

Drives: 2LT/RS SIM, 05 Wht Denali
The car build is pretty much the same. The drive train is different from front to back. You can't swap piece by piece. The suspension from a v6 and v8 are different also but if you are gonna race trim the drivetrain then you will surely be doing suspension so it won't really matter. The time frame needed to do the V6 to V8 swap will be much greater than the upgrade from V8 to V8. This would cause you to be out of the car for several days instead of just a cpl.

I like the idea of haveing a LT body with a V8 in it. Will suprise a lot of ppl.
Mankind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #17
Gah!
Proud owner of a 5th gen!

Drives: SIM 1LT w/ Black Rallys
Send a message via AIM to Gah!
Very very interesting! Please let me know how it goes! I think I am gonna start saving lol =D
Gah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #18
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Are the front and rear subframe assy's the same v6 to v8? (I don't know) If they are that's a big hurdle eliminated.

If you do it one at a time, start from the back and go forward. If you drop a 700hp LSX in a V6 with stock drivetrain you're gonna be breaking something new every day.

Do you know how many 69 Camaro Z28 clones there are that started out as 6-bangers? (I personally know of one) It's a good plan, but it will take lots of time and money in the long haul, no matter which car you get.

The more work you can do on your own, the cheaper it will be. Shop labor rates are hovering around $80 bucks/hr depending on where you live.

I like the way you're thinking
Old 04-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #19
RCLapCar

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 HB/JB
Here's what I believe to be true based on the various things I read on here.

The V6 and V8 have identical frames. The differences between the suspensions are minor (sway bars, struts and some links in the rear I believe). If you upgrade the suspension then you would most likely replace all these parts anyway.

The V6 manual has the same rear diff as the V8's (only the auto has something different). And if you are going to put serious power into it an upgrade would be required anyway.

If you plan on replacing the entire drive train (engine, trans and diff) then the V6 is a great start. Again I do not claim to be an expert on any of this just what I read over the many hours spent here.