Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-17-2009, 12:36 AM   #337
Inferno2SSRS
Jim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Orange
Send a message via AIM to Inferno2SSRS
I got my car with the stripes installed from the factory, I want to remove them, has anyone done this and any issues with the clear coat under the stripes?
Inferno2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #338
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I'm going to have my rally stripes (glossy black) painted on my CGM 2SS. I am thinking about having SS badges on the hood on the edge of the scoop (is that the right term?). Is it better to buy raised SS badges for this or should I have them painted on when they do the stripes?
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #339
tlc9193
The Original

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Send a message via Skype™ to tlc9193
depending on the color u want the badges, i think you can have it stenciled before the stripes are painted and then pull stencils off to show the CGM SS. It will not pot out at you but will be subtle and kinda ghosted in. just my thoughts
tlc9193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:30 AM   #340
Beauwulf

Drives: '10 LT RS A6 & '04 Acura RSX Type S
I installed an aftermarket rally stripe kit the other nite. Here's a couple of pics from the install on the hood. This can be a real pain in the a$$ to do!

Old 01-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #341
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauwulf View Post
I installed an aftermarket rally stripe kit the other nite. Here's a couple of pics from the install on the hood. This can be a real pain in the a$$ to do!

End result looks great! Any defects or bubbles wind up in the end result?

What brand did you use and would you do it yourself again? I've watched a few of the youtube intall videos and looks like I may give it a try.

Who has the best rally stripe kits out there? I'd go with the factory kit, I've heard that is high quality vinyl and packaged flat as opposed to rolled up. But I'd rather have the rears go up onto the spoiler also as I've seen some of the aftermarket kits do. Any of the aftermarket kits that go onto the spoiler use the same quality vinyl and shipping packaging?
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #342
Beauwulf

Drives: '10 LT RS A6 & '04 Acura RSX Type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
End result looks great! Any defects or bubbles wind up in the end result?

What brand did you use and would you do it yourself again? I've watched a few of the youtube intall videos and looks like I may give it a try.

Who has the best rally stripe kits out there? I'd go with the factory kit, I've heard that is high quality vinyl and packaged flat as opposed to rolled up. But I'd rather have the rears go up onto the spoiler also as I've seen some of the aftermarket kits do. Any of the aftermarket kits that go onto the spoiler use the same quality vinyl and shipping packaging?
I purchased this set on fleabay at a greatly reduced price. I soon discovered why.... it was laminated with a very thick clear sheet that was actually too thick and sticky for this type vinyl. I did have a couple of bubbles (easily fixed with a small gauge sewing needle) but, there was one problem that is as yet unresolved.

As you mentioned, kits that are shipped in a flat box are better than those that are not. Mine was not so it had a couple of separations between the vinyl and the clear sheet. This cause a crease in the vinyl. As I was finishing the last sheet, I got to the crease in the material and I couldn't work out by normal means. Usually, you can use a hair dryer and squeegee to work out these kind of kinks but I couldn't get this one out. I can still work on it to attempt repair but I haven't gotten around to it yet today.

This install was made more difficult by the thicker top sheet. It took me 4.5 hours to do the trunk, spoiler, and hood. It should only have taken 2-3 hours to finish this install.

Had I not gotten such a good deal on this set, I would have been very upset with this. I just have to figure I saved over $150 on this and, it gives me a chance to see if I like it enough to go ahead and paint it on later.

I do have another addition to this stripe kit that should be in the mail which will "brighten this installation" quite a bit. I'll post up when that's done.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #343
Russell James

Thanks, any brands of the vinyl Rallys that most are having good luck with? Best quality, shipped flat for no creases...
Old 01-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #344
Bowtie Junkman

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Sorry if this question has been asked already .... I didn't have the time to go thru all 14 pages of this thread ....

I ordered a 1SS with only one option (auto trans) to keep the price affordable and within my budget .... figuring I could add the stripes later ...

Is the Rally Stripe package available thru the dealer parts counter yet? Is that the best place to get them? Is there another source for them (ie aftermarket)? Any idea on the cost, either at the dealer or otherwise?

BTW ... my car will be Victory Red, so looking for the black stripes ...

Thanks!
Bowtie Junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #345
Russell James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Junkman View Post
Sorry if this question has been asked already .... I didn't have the time to go thru all 14 pages of this thread ....

I ordered a 1SS with only one option (auto trans) to keep the price affordable and within my budget .... figuring I could add the stripes later ...

Is the Rally Stripe package available thru the dealer parts counter yet? Is that the best place to get them? Is there another source for them (ie aftermarket)? Any idea on the cost, either at the dealer or otherwise?

BTW ... my car will be Victory Red, so looking for the black stripes ...

Thanks!
Yes and Yes. You can buy them as an acccessory kit through a dealer.
The nice thing about that is if you have the dealer install them, they are then under warranty with the rest of the car. The only bad part I've run into is they don't have gloss black, only flat black. All the other kits are gloss, but black is flat black. Some like that throw back flat black stripe look, I'd prefer a gloss black stripe on my orange, so I think I am going with having them painted on.

The GM kits are $395 retail, a few dealers on here are discounting that price a good bit. Then the install price is on top of that. There are several aftermarket companies with more color and style choices. Prices on those are a bit less. Watch out for the real cheapos though - the real low priced ebay specials I've heard may not be the best quality of vinyl.

I still haven't heard anything on gloss black rallys - has anybody heard if GM is eventually going to come out with a gloss black stripe kit. Or any of the aftermarket gloss black really a top quality vinyl, shipped boxed real good like the GM kits? Not rolled up and wrinkled?
Old 01-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #346
Bowtie Junkman

Very good info ... Thank you very much ...

While we're on the subject ... I see some cars with the inset-area in the front fascia around the grille and lights blacked out ... I haven't seen a stripe kit for this as of yet ... am I to assume that when these are done they are painted?
Old 01-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #347
Bowtie Junkman

Oh yeah .... and does anyone make a stencil kit (like they do for older Camaro/Chevelles) for the Rally Stripes so they can be painted on?
Old 01-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #348
GRSCAMARO
RS 10 SS

Drives: 2010 ABM RS/2SS L99
The January issue of Camaro Performers has an add for stripes on page 91 (Parts Bin). The vendor is Granatelli Motor Sports (www.granatelimotorsports.com). The kit costs $249.99, the stripes are UV-coated high-performance cast film. They are available in many colors including gloss black. The film is made by Trim Brite which makes alot of after market high quality stuff. I spoke with Jack and he said they are using the product on their personal cars.

I chose to have mine painted on. The car is at the body shop this week. It costs more but to me it is worth the extra funds. I hate decals for long-term use and I plan to keep this car until gasoline is no longer available.

I can post dimensions of the factory stripes tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Best 1/4 Mile Run: 11/20/2010 SGMP 13.299 @ 106 mph (2.05s 60ft)
Mods to Date:
Painted Rally Stripes by Body's by Doug
ABM Painted Splash Guards & Engine Cover
Tinted Windows by Sunbusters
CAI Kit by Cold Air Inductions (installed at C5FestI)
GRSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #349
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauwulf View Post
I purchased this set on fleabay at a greatly reduced price. I soon discovered why.... it was laminated with a very thick clear sheet that was actually too thick and sticky for this type vinyl. I did have a couple of bubbles (easily fixed with a small gauge sewing needle) but, there was one problem that is as yet unresolved.

As you mentioned, kits that are shipped in a flat box are better than those that are not. Mine was not so it had a couple of separations between the vinyl and the clear sheet. This cause a crease in the vinyl. As I was finishing the last sheet, I got to the crease in the material and I couldn't work out by normal means. Usually, you can use a hair dryer and squeegee to work out these kind of kinks but I couldn't get this one out. I can still work on it to attempt repair but I haven't gotten around to it yet today.

This install was made more difficult by the thicker top sheet. It took me 4.5 hours to do the trunk, spoiler, and hood. It should only have taken 2-3 hours to finish this install.

Had I not gotten such a good deal on this set, I would have been very upset with this. I just have to figure I saved over $150 on this and, it gives me a chance to see if I like it enough to go ahead and paint it on later.

I do have another addition to this stripe kit that should be in the mail which will "brighten this installation" quite a bit. I'll post up when that's done.
Do you have any pictures?
Old 01-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #350
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRSCAMARO View Post

I can post dimensions of the factory stripes tomorrow if anyone is interested.
Evidently there are more than one set of stripes the factory is putting on. I bought a set of spoile stripes that were supposed to be Factory width, but they were narrower than the ones that came on my car. I have talked to several others and theirs were the width that he sent, but like i said mine were put on mid December and they were about 1/2" wider.