Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
Amenti

Drives: 2017 1SS Convertible
So, I saw a Nissan Leaf....

At the outlet mall the other day, I saw a Nissan Leaf pull into a parking spot as my wife and I were walking by.

A young woman stepped out and rushed off to one of the trendy little stores in front of her, and all I could think was, "I wonder how long it will be before that car leaves her stranded on the side of the road?"

Appearance Mods: RiderGraphix LS7 Front Fascia Blackout Vinyl, Gill Insert Vinyl, Rear Deck Lid Vinyl (Gloss Black), Gary's Customs Painted Bowties

Coming Soon: BMR Trailing Arms
Amenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
az2009se

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS 2009 Challenger SE
Yea, because our Camaro's never leave anyone stranded...
az2009se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
CyberDan

Drives: 1SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by az2009se View Post
Ouch
CAI Cold Air Intake, VMax CNC TB, Borla Sport Catback Exhaust, EE Oil Catch Can, Eibach Sway Bars and Drop Springs, AAC concept side markers, stealth signal bulbs, Heritage grille, Sparks Restorations front and rear modern SS emblems
CyberDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
The difference is that a Camaro can easily stop at a gas station and be ready to go in less than five minutes, or if you do run out of gas completely, you can always grab a container and fill up that way.

The Leaf, on the other hand, has a ridiculously long charge time and you can't get a can of electricity. Plus it already has a reputation for having a horribly inaccurate range estimator.

The Leaf is simply a half-assed, impractical, poorly engineered car that Nissan rushed to market in a futile attempt to out-do GM and the Chevrolet Volt.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Quote:
Mine hasn't. She loves me.

Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amenti View Post
At the outlet mall the other day, I saw a Nissan Leaf pull into a parking spot as my wife and I were walking by.

A young woman stepped out and rushed off to one of the trendy little stores in front of her, and all I could think was, "I wonder how long it will be before that car leaves her stranded on the side of the road?"

I'm kinda surprised you didn't feel the urge to gouge out your eyeballs when you saw the thing. Maybe the pretty lady balanced things....

Quote:
Just those foolish enough to challenge one.

Or with certain drivers who forget what "E" means on the fuel guage...hrmhrmgtahvithrm

Amenti, any objections to my moving this thread to the off-topics section?
Old 06-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
Amenti

Drives: 2017 1SS Convertible
Not at all.

Appearance Mods: RiderGraphix LS7 Front Fascia Blackout Vinyl, Gill Insert Vinyl, Rear Deck Lid Vinyl (Gloss Black), Gary's Customs Painted Bowties

Coming Soon: BMR Trailing Arms
Amenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amenti View Post
Not at all.
Thanks! I actually meant the General Auto Section, my mistake.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Saw a Leaf about 3 months ago during a weekly car show in Scottsdale. The guy parked by the imports and didn't draw a crowd at all, hasn't been back since.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Like a lot of the electric cars, the Leaf has it's place....short commutes/trips where getting to (or back to) a place that you can charge it for awhile is all someone needs.

Personally, I think they should worry less about making these types of vehicle available to the general public and make them mandatory for government vehicles (city, state, and fed), public works vehicles etc. Taxis and buses should be at least natural gas, hydrogen cell or electric.

They should also be available to cable companies, the phone companies, local utilities, etc....the places that typically have shorter total miles in a day and never really get that far from home/base.

To me, that would be a bigger savings than a typical commuter picking up a few mpg's per week.

Just my 2 cents.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #11
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
The difference is that a Camaro can easily stop at a gas station and be ready to go in less than five minutes, or if you do run out of gas completely, you can always grab a container and fill up that way.

The Leaf, on the other hand, has a ridiculously long charge time and you can't get a can of electricity. Plus it already has a reputation for having a horribly inaccurate range estimator.

The Leaf is simply a half-assed, impractical, poorly engineered car that Nissan rushed to market in a futile attempt to out-do GM and the Chevrolet Volt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMS1SS View Post
Saw a Leaf about 3 months ago during a weekly car show in Scottsdale. The guy parked by the imports and didn't draw a crowd at all, hasn't been back since.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #12
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:00 PM   #13
KnightRiderSS
Voodoo Medicine Man

Drives: Black 2SS with RS package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

I'm kinda surprised you didn't feel the urge to gouge out your eyeballs when you saw the thing. Maybe the pretty lady balanced things....

Just those foolish enough to challenge one.

Or with certain drivers who forget what "E" means on the fuel guage...hrmhrmgtahvithrm

Amenti, any objections to my moving this thread to the off-topics section?

or to those who have a catch can malfunction and don't have the tools to fix it!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155468

Old 06-28-2011, 11:00 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
Personally, I think they should worry less about making these types of vehicle available to the general public and make them mandatory for government vehicles (city, state, and fed), public works vehicles etc. Taxis and buses should be at least natural gas, hydrogen cell or electric.

They should also be available to cable companies, the phone companies, local utilities, etc....the places that typically have shorter total miles in a day and never really get that far from home/base.

To me, that would be a bigger savings than a typical commuter picking up a few mpg's per week.

Just my 2 cents.
Just like the retail side of things, though...that's going to be expensive...way expensive.

Our city has a hard-on about hybrid busses. IIRC, GM helped design the powertrain systems for them. Anyways...they're all over...they're clean, quiet and no doubt more fuel efficient than the 20 year old heaps I've seen around....But guess who picks up the bill for these things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRiderSS View Post
or to those who have a catch can malfunction and don't have the tools to fix it!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155468

YOUCH!!!! Glad to see you can laugh about it so, soon! :laug