Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #71
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
IBTL
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #72
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Just ask George Zimmerman how those public self defense shootings work out for ya. If there's a guy laying there with a bullet hole in him, the scene needs to be ugly and the story better be good.

I can't stress the fact more that you need a lawyer, immediately, if you shoot someone for any reason. What you think is justified they may not.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #73
blkngldbabe
Barossa's handler

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I hope you don't seriously think a call to the police would be a valid option in a rapidly developing situation.

Given that somebody is already approaching you with weapon in hand, you do not have the luxury of waiting for a 911 operator to take your call, never mind wait for police response - no matter how close the nearest cruiser might happen to be. Nor do you have time to debate what his intent might be.

You have less time to react than it's taken you to read the previous paragraph, and you've got exactly one chance to get it right.

I was in a generally similar situation many years ago - a length of chain rather than a hammer being the assailant's weapon of opportunity - and it really does come down to "flight or fight".

Norm

I was referring to Flight, then calling to police to alert them to a threat.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #74
fastgun

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I would not have shot the guy . Just drive away. But with that said. Alabama and a lot of other states have " stand your ground" laws that say you do not have to retreat if threatened and that extends outside of your home. So if he is coming after you with a hammer, you are justified in using lethal force. But all you really have to do is use some common sense. Just drive away if you can.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #75
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
I think that's pretty much what I said.
You're right. For some reason I thought you said they could hold you longer. My bad.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #76
Dox057

Drives: Camaro
I am mildly disheartened at the tone of this thread. Are you all really so willing to take a life? Is it really as easy as that? "I feel threatened, so I can end you?" Yes, there are some situations in which violence begets violence. There are certain situations in which lethal force is your only option and that I get and that use of force I can support. BUT, and this is a rather large but here, It's a hammer and a car. OP was IN the car.. The car was running. The myriad of other options that do not include ending another human beings life surely must come to mind.

No one was saying he should have called the police while he sat there and waited to see what the guy was going to do, just remove yourself from the situation and then alert the authorities as to the situation in hopes of helping someone else.

I do truly hope that the majority of these posts honestly are just interwebz tough guy talk and not peoples actual thought process. I LOVE my car.. LOVE IT!! But I would never end someone’s life for vandalizing it. Regardless of how angry I was. It's a life, people!

The OP did the right thing in leaving the situation. Perhaps he should have called the police following the incident, but the fact that the majority of posts are all perpetuating escalating the situation to ending the life of another human being is both mildly scary and quite disheartening.
Dox057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #77
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
I think that's pretty much what I said.
and your point is?
I never said you wouldn't but I'm sure as hell not going to wait and see if Joe Psycho is going to put a ball peen hammer into myself or my loved ones or to steal our hard earned property to worry about sitting in jail while they sort it out.

someone comes after you with a HAMMER or any other DEADLY Weapon with the intentions of inflicting BODILY or property harm you have the right to fire.

I'm sorry 10 years in the US Navy and I know how to handle a weapon and I know when to fire and not to.
And I'm sure as hell not going to worry about having to go sit in jail overnight while my lawyer gets things sorted out.

This is LAW in Texas

Criminals in Texas, you’ve been warned:
Governor Rick Perry’s office said on Tuesday that he had signed a new law that expands Texans’ existing right to use deadly force to defend themselves “without retreat” in their homes, cars and workplaces.[...] The reasonable use of lethal force will be allowed if an intruder is:
- Committing certain violent crimes, such as murder or sexual assault, or is attempting to commit such crimes
- Unlawfully trying to enter a protected place
- Unlawfully trying to remove a person from a protected place.
The law also provides civil immunity for a person who lawfully slays an intruder or attacker in such situations.

google TEXAS CASTLE LAW.
that applies to your motor vehicle as well.

530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #78
bowtiefamily

Drives: Chevrolet
Kill the bum? Did anyone see what happened in California when a man did not give the bum money and went in to the store..........when he came out and got in to his car the bum threw a cup of gas on him setting him on FIRE. The man died. Yes the OP was lucky. There was no traffic blocking his escape. Had there been traffic. The out come could have been fatal for either side. In fear of my life! I would rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #79
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkngldbabe View Post
. . . I'd hope that nobody would actually consider this instead of the flight option or police call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkngldbabe View Post
I was referring to Flight, then calling to police to alert them to a threat.
See the difference?

It would have made a huge difference in my earlier response.

The internet fails in these discussions by its immediacy. Too easy to hit 'Submit' too soon.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #80
1985airborne
One Slow Automatic

Drives: 2017 GS 2010 CAMARO SS
WTF; thats crazy! But funny in a way!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #81
kk0239

Drives: 2013 2LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikss View Post
you really just left maybe you should of reported it or got of and beat his piece of shit ass... wat if the next person after you was a lady and that dumb ass would pull some shit like that..
Yep.. I reported 911
kk0239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #82
GbrilliantQ
¡ʇuɐıןןıɹq

Drives: 2011 Camaro IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk0239 View Post
Yep.. I reported 911
Nice job. You did the right thing.
GbrilliantQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #83
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskSS View Post
and your point is?
I never said you wouldn't but I'm sure as hell not going to wait and see if Joe Psycho is going to put a ball peen hammer into myself or my loved ones or to steal our hard earned property to worry about sitting in jail while they sort it out.

someone comes after you with a HAMMER or any other DEADLY Weapon with the intentions of inflicting BODILY or property harm you have the right to fire.

I'm sorry 10 years in the US Navy and I know how to handle a weapon and I know when to fire and not to.
And I'm sure as hell not going to worry about having to go sit in jail overnight while my lawyer gets things sorted out.

This is LAW in Texas

Criminals in Texas, you’ve been warned:
Governor Rick Perry’s office said on Tuesday that he had signed a new law that expands Texans’ existing right to use deadly force to defend themselves “without retreat” in their homes, cars and workplaces.[...] The reasonable use of lethal force will be allowed if an intruder is:
- Committing certain violent crimes, such as murder or sexual assault, or is attempting to commit such crimes
- Unlawfully trying to enter a protected place
- Unlawfully trying to remove a person from a protected place.
The law also provides civil immunity for a person who lawfully slays an intruder or attacker in such situations.

google TEXAS CASTLE LAW.
that applies to your motor vehicle as well.

Dam I love living here lol
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #84
kk0239

Drives: 2013 2LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
Actually thats not true. They will take you in and question you but unless charges are filed, they can't hold you for more then a few days at most. If you claim self defense and the evidence proves self defense, you will be on your way in no time.

OP that is quite scary! I would've done the same thing but also called the cops and told them there's a crazy guy with a hammer in the streets. What if you heard later on that this guy killed someone and you could've prevented it with a simple 911 call? As far as shooting this person, shooting someone should be a final attempt to get away. OP did the right thing by speeding off. I'm all for gun rights, my house is well protected with them but they will only be used as a last resort.
Yep.. alerted the cops
kk0239 is offline   Reply With Quote