Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 09-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #43
2L8IWON

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
ahem...I showed you which wires...I've had it working flawlessly since install.
I don't have my car yet. I'll definitely go back and check out your past info before my install!
Looking back now, it looks like the pink and black wires are being tapped into.
I was really refering to the Onstar wires connected to the mirror though. Would be much easier to do that than dismantling the light fixture. Hopefully, once I get the cover off of the mirror/Onstar wires, I'll be able to figure it out. That's what I was saying it would be nice to know exactly which wires. If I see pink and black, I'll know, but if they are different, I'll have to put my non-electrician skills to work.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #44
Icntdrv55
CCOTR Member

Drives: Victory Red 2010 2SS/RS A6
I didnt have to untape anything. I just tried putting the wires into the BACKSIDE of the connecter. It was trial and error but it only took a few minutes to find a ground and a switched connector!
2010 Camaro SS/RS Victory Red A6- Vararam Intake, Doug Thorley Tri Y LTs, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster Super 40's, VMS Tune, Razzi Ground Effects, Herritage Grill, RED headlight and fog light Halos, LED DRLs, Dash and extended Door ABL, engine, grill and rear defusser LED lighting ........ 12.59@112.21 (DA Corrected)
Icntdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #45
2L8IWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icntdrv55 View Post
I didnt have to untape anything. I just tried putting the wires into the BACKSIDE of the connecter. It was trial and error but it only took a few minutes to find a ground and a switched connector!
I think it might make it a little easier once I actually get my car and can work on it.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #46
tlc9193
The Original

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Send a message via Skype™ to tlc9193
Does this also apply to the passport 8500 or just the 9500.
tlc9193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #47
2L8IWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc9193 View Post
Does this also apply to the passport 8500 or just the 9500.
The connections discussed should work for any radar detector! As long as you tap into the appropriate wires to get it working.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #48
ZombieEatsYou

Drives: "Bmblbee" 2010 RY 2SS/RS. VIN 12043
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8IWON View Post
Yes, police can detect that you have a radar detector. Just make sure it is legal to use in your area.
The Beltronics STi Driver is NON-detectable to VG-2, current (and future, according to Bel) Spectre radar detector-detectors. It is the only invisible detector right now on the market.

Keep in mind, if you don't live or travel in VA, DC or Canada, then you shouldn't need the STi. Otherwise I would have gotten a 9500ix.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:18 AM   #49
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Intresting post and it could just be my detector but I could not hard wire mine in, it will not work without the cig lighter plug.

I was trying to make it easily swapable from the car to my motorcycle.

But it will not work wired directly in the system, I had to install a cig lighter socket on the bike so it would work.

Kinda sucked after cutting it up.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:25 AM   #50
2L8IWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieEatsYou View Post
The Beltronics STi Driver is NON-detectable to VG-2, current (and future, according to Bel) Spectre radar detector-detectors. It is the only invisible detector right now on the market.

Keep in mind, if you don't live or travel in VA, DC or Canada, then you shouldn't need the STi. Otherwise I would have gotten a 9500ix.
Very true! I was stuck on that detector, but read that if you didn't live in those areas, you didn't need it. Good post!

I probably wouldn't use one in those areas though because I can imagine the fine is steep IF caught with one. Not trying to sound like a prude here, but I can see myself keeping the lights turned off on it at night and then not being able to crank my music so that I can hear it beeping. But hey, I guess you don't always have to use it, but when you are in a hurry or feel like you need to speed, cut the music down at night and listen out for that STI. I just wouldn't want any lights to be reflecting anywhere at night if it's illegal is the main thing.
The STI would be great in those areas during the day!
Old 09-15-2009, 02:35 AM   #51
2L8IWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
Intresting post and it could just be my detector but I could not hard wire mine in, it will not work without the cig lighter plug.

I was trying to make it easily swapable from the car to my motorcycle.

But it will not work wired directly in the system, I had to install a cig lighter socket on the bike so it would work.

Kinda sucked after cutting it up.
Which radar detector are you using? Might help for others to steer clear from buying it for this car.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:48 AM   #52
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Probably no chance in that, its and old whistler 925 laser super ka
but for my area NW Ohio it works great. I pick them up well ahead of time.

As only state boys run laser, the local cities all only have 1 laser car [cost to much to equip them all] for highway use only. All the rest still run the old xa/ka what ever stuff.

In my town of Oregon the cops run their radar 24/7 if on patrol so I will pick them up a mile+ away, more like a proximity detector

Though always wondered about the GPS, all cop cars run a GPS that could be tracked if you knew their signals. That would be a real cop avoider. Could watch ever move they make and counter it.

Though the eye in the sky can never be ditched.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #53
2L8IWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
Probably no chance in that, its and old whistler 925 laser super ka
but for my area NW Ohio it works great. I pick them up well ahead of time.

As only state boys run laser, the local cities all only have 1 laser car [cost to much to equip them all] for highway use only. All the rest still run the old xa/ka what ever stuff.

In my town of Oregon the cops run their radar 24/7 if on patrol so I will pick them up a mile+ away, more like a proximity detector

Though always wondered about the GPS, all cop cars run a GPS that could be tracked if you knew their signals. That would be a real cop avoider. Could watch ever move they make and counter it.

Though the eye in the sky can never be ditched.
Thanks for sharing. If it works for you, that's all that matters!
Old 09-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #54
ZombieEatsYou

Drives: "Bmblbee" 2010 RY 2SS/RS. VIN 12043
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8IWON View Post
Very true! I was stuck on that detector, but read that if you didn't live in those areas, you didn't need it. Good post!

I probably wouldn't use one in those areas though because I can imagine the fine is steep IF caught with one. Not trying to sound like a prude here, but I can see myself keeping the lights turned off on it at night and then not being able to crank my music so that I can hear it beeping. But hey, I guess you don't always have to use it, but when you are in a hurry or feel like you need to speed, cut the music down at night and listen out for that STI. I just wouldn't want any lights to be reflecting anywhere at night if it's illegal is the main thing.
The STI would be great in those areas during the day!
the STi can be dimmed to just a single dot that flashes and/or its remote hard wire has an alert LED as well that you can place below the dash if you wish; the detector would be dark and you'd get just the alert flash in the corner of your eye. They really put some thought into this.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #55
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

About the states that ban them. I have seen post on other sites of folks having to fight a radar ticket as the car has front radar for distance control.

I guess they always assume yes that car has it, but you could of had a hidden detecor so ony if you fight it does it go away. Hoping you just pay.
Like the illegal speed camera tickets, they hope you just pay. Why if you don't you never have a warrent out for your arrest, just a collection agency bugging ya.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:30 PM   #56
2L8IWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieEatsYou View Post
the STi can be dimmed to just a single dot that flashes and/or its remote hard wire has an alert LED as well that you can place below the dash if you wish; the detector would be dark and you'd get just the alert flash in the corner of your eye. They really put some thought into this.
Sounds sweet! I would have gotten it had I lived in one of those states!