Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-04-2015, 02:30 PM   #1
jacborn

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2 Red with white stri
Question Technostalgia Tail Light Question

I apologize for making a new thread but I am having a hard time keeping up with these tail lights. I hear its about 50-50 when it comes to these lights. I really like them but for $400 they better work you know. I was just wondering if anyone has recently purchased these and how are they working for you? Also where did you get them at? Also if you have had them for awhile are they still holding up? All I hear is that this Todd guy is next to impossible to get a hold of but I would not know personally.
jacborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
zcamaro4life

Drives: Camaro V6 2 LT
I got them for 250 off a member here it awmsome. If you want pic you can inbox me.
zcamaro4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:35 PM   #3
Arksine

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacborn View Post
I apologize for making a new thread but I am having a hard time keeping up with these tail lights. I hear its about 50-50 when it comes to these lights. I really like them but for $400 they better work you know. I was just wondering if anyone has recently purchased these and how are they working for you? Also where did you get them at? Also if you have had them for awhile are they still holding up? All I hear is that this Todd guy is next to impossible to get a hold of but I would not know personally.
I have a set of the newer 6800 series. I had the same issue that others had with the inside drivers tail light randomly flashing. I called technostalgia and got Todd and he took care of my issue immediately. So far so good with the replacement, but time will tell. I will say that when my warranty expires I won't be afraid to dig in and attempt to fix an issue myself if something comes up which is why I took the plunge.
Arksine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
whidobie

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS RS
I have had mine about 3 yrs and just recently had an issue. Todd responded back immed and I need a new resistor with a minimal cost
whidobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Everyone complains of condensation issues and eventually the LEDs go out and they are non replaceable, and by that I mean you cannot replace a single LED at a time since they are encased in plastic. If you have the older series (6700) then the afterburner ring has more LEDs and sticks out further, which IMO looks a lot nicer than the newer model with less LEDs and the afterburner is recessed, making it hardly noticeable at all. If you have the older version (6700) and an LED goes out in the afterburner your only options are to deal with defective lights, replace it with a used one if you can find one, or to have Todd at technostalgia fix them, but that means changing to the newer uglier afterburners.

Other than that, as long as you don't leave your car sitting for months at a time then they'll be fine. If you store for winter or something you may have some battery drainage problems.

Pain in the ass. But I love my lights. I bought an extra used set off a member here for when I have problems, I have already replaced two of my lights. I'm keeping them for parts for later down the road but they're definitely a hassle
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:24 PM   #6
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
It's such a shame, I really like the lights too. But for all the issues that people have had, it seems it's not worth the aggravation. I even waited to find out about the new ones and they don't look as nice as the older ones as the above member posted. I would rather look for a used set of tail lights and try to make my own afterburners
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #7
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
I love them but I too have had problems with the inside drivers tail light just stuck in a half brake light mode within months of installing. Took 4 months of emailing and calling to get it warranted. Been ok since. Fingers crossed after 6 months now. I get a random flicker in that same tail light at times but it seems to appear when I first start the car after being parked all week or longer. Do I like them ? Yes. Would I buy another set ? Well that is up for debate. I get the complements now but I also got the "do you know your brake light is stuck" for 4 months.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:45 PM   #8
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
Had mine 2+ years, no problems.

I can't believe for all the problems you hear of that no one else is making a comparable tail light for these (and other) cars. If they are I have not heard of it, the technostalgia are by far the best I have seen.
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:15 AM   #9
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadyshac View Post
Had mine 2+ years, no problems.

I can't believe for all the problems you hear of that no one else is making a comparable tail light for these (and other) cars. If they are I have not heard of it, the technostalgia are by far the best I have seen.

Very good point. Sounds like they need someone who had more knowledge about electrical engineering should take a stab at this.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:22 AM   #10
serows1

Drives: Blue Ray 2SS
I installed my 6800 series last July and had a problem with the right from the get go with the right side outboard light. I emailed Todd and he sent a replacement, within a week I had the new one and I haven't had a problem since. (knock on wood) The customer service at Technostalgia was outstanding and the lights look AMAZING! Would I buy and install them again, in a heart beat, I LOVE them!

Paul
serows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:33 AM   #11
Niceun

Drives: 2012 45th edition RS 2LT
I have the 6800 which is the newest model. I got them in Oct. 2014 by Jan. I was having issues and sent them back in Feb. this year. Did not get them back till last Friday (3 months) installed them on Sunday and Monday they are failing. Half the light is on in 2 of the lights. I will call Todd today and request a full refund. I bought my lights through Ricks Camaro which is part of "Ecklers"
Niceun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:56 AM   #12
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceun View Post
I have the 6800 which is the newest model. I got them in Oct. 2014 by Jan. I was having issues and sent them back in Feb. this year. Did not get them back till last Friday (3 months) installed them on Sunday and Monday they are failing. Half the light is on in 2 of the lights. I will call Todd today and request a full refund. I bought my lights through Ricks Camaro which is part of "Ecklers"
Ouch. I never had mine sent in for repairs but he always told me a lot less than 3 months
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:51 AM   #13
sangerbanger58

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT/RS
I got the new 6800 model. I've had them for like 3 years and just a few months ago the driver side inside taillights afterburner lights are going out. I Think I only have like 3 lights on on the afterburner part

Tags
afterburner, lights, sequential, tail light, technostalgia