Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
air1kdf

Drives: his 45th SS everywhere
SS vs Shelby GT 500

I know this has probably come up before, but every time I see a burnout on a mustang I see some serious wheel hop. Notice this on the Shelby, also notice how smooth the SS looks. Just seems to me that the mustang is going to break something soon. I had a Lightning, and my first mod was ladder bars because it did the same thing. Doesn't feel very good when it happened in the Lightning.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
Bo Tie 1

Drives: 11 Camaro SS,05 Vette Z51,76 Camaro
:troll:
Old 11-19-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I've seen a lot of Mustangs perform a burnout without wheel hop.

All cars are going to wheel hop without the proper setup... Part of what looked like wheel hop in the video seemed to be due to the camera frame rate... I don't think a professional or experienced driver is going to keep going like that...

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
Old 11-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
air1kdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Tie 1 View Post
:troll:
I hope you didn't hurt yourself with your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I've seen a lot of Mustangs perform a burnout without wheel hop.

All cars are going to wheel hop without the proper setup... Part of what looked like wheel hop in the video seemed to be due to the camera frame rate... I don't think a professional or experienced driver is going to keep going like that...

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.....
I would normally agree, but I'm seeing this all the time. Not just this video.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
Is the gt500 the only current answer to the ZL1 that ford has in production?
Old 11-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by air1kdf View Post
I hope you didn't hurt yourself with your post.

I would normally agree, but I'm seeing this all the time. Not just this video.
Might be an agreement between Ford and the aftermarket manufacturers to insure sales... Not really...

I dont know what to say, but it's not an issue I'll loose any sleep over... I might benefit from it... at the race track...

Here's one, I really do not know,

Which axle is more prone to wheel hop... the IRS, or the live axle... and all things considered, which is the easiest to fix... ?

I am not looking for nor will I tolerate any arguments in this thread... If you have legitimate relevant information, please feel free to post it up...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
Old 11-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
air1kdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBobGuptaMarley View Post
Yes, but I think that saleen is still making modified mustangs, like Henessee is making modified camaro's
Old 11-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Might be an agreement between Ford and the aftermarket manufacturers to insure sales... Not really...

I dont know what to say, but it's not an issue I'll loose any sleep over... I might benefit from it... at the race track...

Here's one, I really do not know,

Which axle is more prone to wheel hop... the IRS, or the live axle... and all things considered, which is the easiest to fix... ?

I am not looking for nor will I tolerate any arguments in this thread... If you have legitimate relevant information, please feel free to post it up...
Mustangs rear control arms took me about 45 mins, way easier than our Camaro SS. And yes that was wheel hop and juttering left to right not frame rates you can even see the rear right exhaust tip vibrating. The rear stock control arms are too flimsy to control the power of those cars, it is a well known thing amongst Mustang owners. Boss 302s have the GT 500 arms which still leaves room for improvement, good news for BMR , bad news for Boss 302 rivals. There is still room for improvement with even the 302s stock setup.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #9
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
Seems like we're always a step ahead. Wouldnt even matter if the new stang is faster, it's a day late and dollar short, I mean who cares if your always playing catch up anyway.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Seems like we're always a step ahead. Wouldnt even matter if the new stang is faster, it's a day late and dollar short, I mean who cares if your always playing catch up anyway.
Because they keep catching up to go *just* a little bit ahead, and then the cycle repeats. It's the way the Industry works...entertaining, really, to sit back and watch.

It would seem to me that the Mustang's rear architecture, being such an old design would be easier and cheaper to modify, while the Camaro's more complex rear design would offer more ability to control, expense and simplicity being the trade-off.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:13 AM   #11
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Quote:
The GT500 is the fastest car offered in Ford's vehicle lineup. GM has the ZL1 and the entire Corvette line.

I always viewed this video as a win for the Camaro. The GT500 was only a 1/10 quicker than the SS, even though it was supercharged and had 120 extra horsepower. Of course, if the cars kept running to 150 MPH, the GT500 would make the SS look real bad.....

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
Old 11-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #12
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Because they keep catching up to go *just* a little bit ahead, and then the cycle repeats. It's the way the Industry works...entertaining, really, to sit back and watch.

It would seem to me that the Mustang's rear architecture, being such an old design would be easier and cheaper to modify, while the Camaro's more complex rear design would offer more ability to control, expense and simplicity being the trade-off.

How far can it go?
500hp Mustang GT in the near future followed by the 525hp Camaro SS.

I remember when I thought my new stock 275hp, 1994 LT1 Camaro Z28 was powerful and fast. I would take my friends for rides and they would be like, WOW! I used to say it had a monster under the hood (lol - 275hp V8).
Old 11-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #13
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
I love it when obviously biased magazines name videos.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
air1kdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
I always viewed this video as a win for the Camaro. The GT500 was only a 1/10 quicker than the SS, even though it was supercharged and had 120 extra horsepower.

Closed Thread