Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 06-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Trade for 04 Z06?

Well, here's the deal:

Been thinking a lot about getting into another V8 car lately. This V6 is nice but I probably should have gone to another V8 bc after getting spoiled by 650 HP I am alot less than impressed with this car, although it looks great.

So, I looked at new 5.0s but don't want transmission issues. Looked at the SS but honestly, it doesn't have enough kick to it. So I started looking at Vettes.

Found a somewhat decent deal on a local 04 Z06. Yellow with 40k on it. One owner car. They want $25k for it...so I am just looking for thoughts.

Now, I'm not too sure how C5s hold up as daily drivers either. So any input there would be great.

So what do you think? Trade up and get the V8, or stick it out with the V6 and see what happens later down the road?
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
oyealiz

Drives: c7 3LT, manual, vert
Send a message via AIM to oyealiz Send a message via Yahoo to oyealiz
If you're wanting in a Vette, I'd say go for a 2005 c6 coupe for about the same price.

Example:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...24-k-firm.html
oyealiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
ZL1?
Old 06-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
For a daily driver...?

Haha... um, if that's what you want-- sure, go for it

Honestly I'd stick with what you have. You're gonna take a bath on trade-in value, for no real good reason. Just seems like a total waste to buy a brand new car, then trade it in for an older one... I've made a few not-so-wise financial decisions so I can't hate on you, but this wouldn't be smart from a financial standpoint.

But I think the power isn't the only reason you're trading up, is it? I can tell a lot of posts here dogging the V6 get to you.

Good luck with what you decide-- and enjoy the next fifty posts telling you to trade up.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread

Last edited by BowtieBelle; 06-04-2012 at 03:30 PM.
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
oyealiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
ZL1?

O yea! Those are 25k.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyealiz View Post
O yea! Those are 25k.

THIS

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Interesting question, hard to consider cuz I have never been in the V6 position. Always V8 to V8, but I did deal with the same model. So here was my experience.

For me, I was super close to buy a C5 Z06 before I bought my Camaro SS. The only thing that held me back was that the ones I found I liked were at car dealers who thought they were some super rare gem and wanted to gouge me on the price. I always wanted a Z06 for its race-ready status, but it would be a car I would drive almost daily during the nice parts of the year.

I did test drive a lot of them, and one thing that frusturated me from a daily driver perspective was always constant - the low ride height. There was a test drive where I literally only drove the car 3 blocks and I had scraped the front spoiler twice going in/getting out.

The car is really cool, fast, and very fun to drive. However, I respect the racing-oriented design too much to drive it every day in traffic and not take advantage of all the features.

Now that I'm a little older and have a little more money, I am going to work towards getting a C6 Z06 with a sole purpose of racing and car show usage.

I'm sure this is not helpful, but this is my perspective.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Interesting question, hard to consider cuz I have never been in the V6 position. Always V8 to V8, but I did deal with the same model. So here was my experience.

For me, I was super close to buy a C5 Z06 before I bought my Camaro SS. The only thing that held me back was that the ones I found I liked were at car dealers who thought they were some super rare gem and wanted to gouge me on the price. I always wanted a Z06 for its race-ready status, but it would be a car I would drive almost daily during the nice parts of the year.

I did test drive a lot of them, and one thing that frusturated me from a daily driver perspective was always constant - the low ride height. There was a test drive where I literally only drove the car 3 blocks and I had scraped the front spoiler twice going in/getting out.

The car is really cool, fast, and very fun to drive. However, I respect the racing-oriented design too much to drive it every day in traffic and not take advantage of all the features.

Now that I'm a little older and have a little more money, I am going to work towards getting a C6 Z06 with a sole purpose of racing and car show usage.

I'm sure this is not helpful, but this is my perspective.
Advice is always helpful. Thank you.

Ride height concerns me also, especially bc I'm 6'7". Lots of room in the Camaro, was a tight fit in my 03 Cobra, and probably about the same in the Z06 I would guess. I'm just worried about getting in and out...I've driven a few and once I'm in I'm ok.

Anyway, thanks again.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
For a daily driver...?

Haha... um, if that's what you want-- sure, go for it

Honestly I'd stick with what you have. You're gonna take a bath on trade-in value, for no real good reason. Just seems like a total waste to buy a brand new car, then trade it in for an older one... I've made a few not-so-wise financial decisions so I can't hate on you, but this wouldn't be smart from a financial standpoint.

But I think the power isn't the only reason you're trading up, is it? I can tell a lot of posts here dogging the V6 get to you.

Good luck with what you decide-- and enjoy the next fifty posts telling you to trade up.
I have been battling with this question too. Do I want to roll back in time that far?

Also, I very openly admit that financially speaking, its not a good thing to do. I won't even argue that.

And I do hate the V6 bashing that goes on and yeah, I guess that might be part of the issue. I know the biggest thing is I miss the way my Cobra sounded. But I don't want to pay another $10k to get a V8 rumble either. So that's why I'm stuck.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
oyealiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked 6 View Post
Advice is always helpful. Thank you.

Ride height concerns me also, especially bc I'm 6'7". Lots of room in the Camaro, was a tight fit in my 03 Cobra, and probably about the same in the Z06 I would guess. I'm just worried about getting in and out...I've driven a few and once I'm in I'm ok.

Anyway, thanks again.
Memorial day weekend, I hung out with a bunch of Corvette friends. These guys have all had c5 and c6 Vettes. Three of them are about 6'5". One races his c6 z06 and is able to fit even with his helmet on, so hopefully you'd be ok. Of course, I guess it depends on how long your legs are vs your torso.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
I've seen quite a few 2006-2007 Z06's with 40K or less that are around $40K (some less). You might want to broaden your searches a bit unless you really like the C5. Also, the new C7s will come out next year, so if you hold on to the Camaro for another year you may fine a really good deal on a C6 then.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #12
oyealiz

Quote:

If the vette isn't lowered, it's not bad. But I always lowered my c5s, and my c6 is lowered, so there are places where I just do not take it. My Camaro is stock height specifically so I don't have to worry about it. Even a stock vette will scrape going over curbs, but it's generally NOT the spoiler you're scraping, it's the piece under the spoiler.

Quote:

Autocrossed my c6 z51 vert last weekend. The most fun you can have in a car with your clothes on!!!

Old 06-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #13
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyealiz View Post
O yea! Those are 25k.

The Vette was 25k, I don't think he mentioned a budget.

Plus he was looking at new Mustang 5.0's.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #14
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
I'd go to a new Mustang or SS before I got an 8 year old car. 40k miles or not, it's still 8 years old. Even an 05 C6, in my opinion, would be a better deal, since it's a newer platform. If you're discounting the 5.0 purely based on the transmission issues you've heard about, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Only a small number of cars are having problems. I got an early build 2011 and my pressure plate bolts backed out, Ford fixed it at 900 miles, and I got 16k miles on it right now with no issues what so ever, including taking the car to the track. You'll also fit in it, especially being an ogre...er...6 foot 7 person that you are lol I'm 6'2 and didn't fit in a sun roof equipped Camaro very well in my driving position, and no way would I fit it one with a helmet on. Either way, I would go SS or GT. I think you think the SS doesn't have enough kick to it because the power band is so linear, and it is deceptive how fast the car is actually going. It's only 3/10ths of a second slower than a BRAND NEW C5 Z06, with a 4mph average trap speed.

CLIFFS: Go new 5.0, SS, or C6 over a C5 Z06.