Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Drop in filter flow test shoot-out

There seems to have been a lot of interest recently for those that don't want to get a cold air intake system, and would rather keep their stock airbox and run an aftermarket filter. Since I just so happen to have what I deem every filter worth testing, and the equipment to perform the test, I've decided to do a drop in filter flow comparison.

PLEASE, let's not turn this into a CAI's are better than the stock box thread, or this CAI is better than that CAI, there are probably hundreds of threads discussing aftermarket intakes, so please do a search if you're interested in doing some research on anything other than the stock airbox.

This test was performed on our in house Super Flow flowbench through the stock airbox, the stock intake tube, and snorkel (unless noted without the snorkel). The weather conditions are listed on the spreadsheet picture below. All of the filters were tested in about an hours time, so the weather shouldn't have changed much. To attempt to simulate the box & snorkel in the car, I took a measurement of the distances from the opening of the snorkel to the core support, and fabricated a plate with a similar contour to what's in front of the snorkel and mounted it to the snorkel the same distance as measure in the car. And now... The numbers, and other random filter info:

The box w/o filter, and box w/o filter & snorkel number are in red to kind of separate them from the rest. The box w/o filter & snorkel percentage difference is compared to the box w/o filter w/ snorkel as it was the fairest way I could figure to compare.

The fit & finish is just my opinion based on the construction, and quality appearance of the filters compared, and how good they fit in the stock airbox. The filter media is a combination of what I could find either on the filter manufacturers website, and/or hours of searching the internet; it may not be entirely accurate.

I had originally planned to show the prices of each filter from the manufacturer, and the cost per CFM gain, but I am not allowed to post pricing, so it had to be removed. You can get any of these filters direct from the manufacturer, although it may not be the cheapest place to get them. We do offer S&B drop in filters on the JacFab website w/ free shipping to the lower 48 on all current S&B stock for those that are interested...

Now onto a little less scientific test. A lot of people say they don't trust a filter they can see through. Within reason, I agree to that, however some of the filters tested do have over a 99% filteration efficiency rating as reported by their manufacturer. I did not post efficiency ratings of the filters because I could not find most of the ratings listed anywhere. For this next "test", I held each filter up to the sun to see how much light they let through, pictured below:

As you can see the highest flowing filter in this test was also the most transparent. And the worst flowing filters let through almost no light. Surprising was the S&B with came in at #2 on the flow test, lets little to no light through.

I had planned to try to rig up some filtration test, but I don't think it could be controlled enough to be accurate. If you are concerned with filtration, please do some research before you decide on a filter.

This test was performed to the best of my ability, and may not be entirely accurate, but the machine sucks what it can suck, and the sun is the sun. I hope some of you out there find this useful. That said, as I have mentioned before, the stock filter IS a restriction. With a better flowing filter, the stock box does flow pretty good IMO. It should also be noted that ALL of these filters have the potential of flowing much more outside of the stock box, and the box is still a restriction, the stock box will not out flow any cold air intake regardless of filter choice. If you want a cold air intake, do your research and get one. If you want to keep your stock box, by all means, take it to its limits!

*NOTE* Again, this test was not performed through a head, intake, and throttle body combo, and the flow numbers are reported at 28" of water, so they will most likely read higher than CFM numbers you find on the internet for whatever you product you may currently have. This test serves to compare these filters in the stock airbox, stock tube, ONLY, and these numbers are only accurate in THIS test and should not be compared to anything else you may see unless they test was performed in the same manner.

Keep it clean, and discuss.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 08-17-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'm one of those guys who prefers to keep the look of the stock airbox. I did a K&N panel filter with an SLP Blackwing tube from TB to airbox. I did each of those upgrades separately. I think this is a good study you did. K&N advertises 441 CFM flow on their basic panel filter. So to see it flow more than twice that amount is awesome. And K&N also advertises a 5-7 RWHP gain for the $50 filter. Which is a better deal than paying close to $300 for only twice that much. I'd like to see a comparison of flow between the CAI companies in comparison to this chart. And I'd like to see how the flow numbers translate into HP. I felt a seat of the pants difference when I did each of those upgrades but it could have been just me being psyched.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
1 cfm is about 1 hp. it can depend on the rest of the combo though.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I think this is a good study you did. K&N advertises 441 CFM flow on their basic panel filter.
Most flow testing is done at 10 or 28" or water. 28" tends to be a standard, which is what I've reported here. I'm thinking that K&N number isn't at 28", but closer to 10" or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
1 cfm is about 1 hp. it can depend on the rest of the combo though.
Keep in mind that this test was not performed through a head, intake, and throttle body such as the Vararam flow test, this is just through the tube and box, so the numbers will read much higher. According to Vararam a 1 CFM gain through the head, intake, and TB is worth 0.2 HP per cylinder x 8 cyl = 1.6 hp per CFM gain.

HOWEVER, none of this math applies to this test as it was not done through a head, intake, and throttle body, as I don't currently have them to run these kinds of tests through.

You can view the Vararam VS the Competition page, as they tested a few intake setups through a head, intake, an TB. The math is shown at the bottom of the page.

Is it accurate? I don't know.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 08-17-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Great job OP! I've been waiting for you to do the testing and post the results.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
scottyvegas
X SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRSM6 1988 Sportside
Good Info.
MODS: PEDDERS XA COIL OVERS, STAGE 3 CAM, McLEOD CLUTCH, SKIP SHIFT, , HURST SHORT THROW, CAI INTAKE, SCOOP, WASHER RELO KIT, KOOKS HEADERS, KOOKS HI FLOW CATS, CUSTOM TUNE, QTP CUT OUTS, PAINTED STRIPES, PAINTED SS EMBLEMS, PAINTED FIN, PAINTED REAR TAIL LAMP BEZELS, HERITAGE GRILLE, DUCTS, AAC STUFF, BAER ROTORS, HAWK PADS, FUZZY DICE, LASER BEAMS, DISCO BALL, SYBIAN & 3 CHROME VALVE STEM CAPS................
scottyvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
Most flow testing is done at 10 or 28" or water. 28" tends to be a standard, which is what I've reported here. I'm thinking that K&N number isn't at 28", but closer to 10" or less.

Keep in mind that this test was not performed through a head, intake, and throttle body such as the Vararam flow test, this is just through the tube and box, so the numbers will read much higher. According to Vararam a 1 CFM gain through the head, intake, and TB is worth 0.2 HP per cylinder x 8 cyl = 1.6 hp per CFM gain.

HOWEVER, none of this math applies to this test as it was not done through a head, intake, and throttle body, as I don't currently have them to run these kinds of tests through.

You can view the Vararam VS the Competition page, as they tested a few intake setups through a head, intake, an TB. The math is shown at the bottom of the page.

Is it accurate? I don't know.
I've seen 1.5 hp per cfm also, there are several different ways to measure it, but as may be obvious by now, I err to the conservative side when it comes to things like this. promise 1.6 and deliver 1.3 is not as cool as if you'd promised 1..... and since we are talking about less than 10 hp, I think it's less important than say, a supercharger where 1 vs 1.6 can be a huge difference...
Old 08-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Thank you for sharing, seriously. That is good info.
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
1LEE

Drives: 2007 Cobalt SS/SC
Nice work man!!

Thanks for sharing this with me before it was posted.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
Jason@JacFab

This info does apply to the v6 cars also as they use the same filter. Obviously didn't want to post it in more than one section though.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Ok, it's no suprise that all the aftermarket filters flow better than the stock one. The question is, has ANYONE, outside of manufacturer claims, showed a increase in HP from ANY of these filters? Having the ability to flow more is vastly different than actually doing it.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

that depends on the true bottleneck. if the exhaust manifolds and cats are more restrictive than the airbox and stock filter, it's not going to do much.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Ok, it's no suprise that all the aftermarket filters flow better than the stock one. The question is, has ANYONE, outside of manufacturer claims, showed a increase in HP from ANY of these filters? Having the ability to flow more is vastly different than actually doing it.
This may not be a good example, but I have come across this before: http://www.lsxtv.com/tech-stories/en...ntake-options/

They show an 8.4hp & 8.0ft lb tq gain from just a K&N drop in filter on an L99 car. Not sure how creditable it is though. Plus the test was done with the hood up.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #14
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
This may not be a good example, but I have come across this before: http://www.lsxtv.com/tech-stories/en...ntake-options/

They show an 8.4hp & 8.0ft lb tq gain from just a K&N drop in filter on an L99 car. Not sure how creditable it is though. Plus the test was done with the hood up.
As I said last time you posted that link, if you trust the drop in filter results, do you also trust the 25whp/21tq gain from a K&N aircharger and 25/24 from the typhoon? Seeing that none of the best CAI companies claim and prove more than 15-18whp, how can a Aircharger or typhoon make 25? Do you believe those results too?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote