Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
Rally_Yellow

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro SS
Newbie Introduction and Questions

Hey Everyone! So I've been lurking this forum for almost a year now and finally got the Camaro a few weeks ago. Its a Rally Yellow 2SS and it is BEAUTIFUL. I am enjoying every single second of it.

Now, I am only 16 and although I have been driving for over a year, this is all relatively new to me, so any tips or anything else you would like to let me know to help me take car of this car (I would like to keep it until I am an old man ) would be greatly appreciated. So my question is this, what mpg numbers are you guys getting, because I am getting about 11 mpg. iS this normal?

Thanks in advance
Rally_Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
I am averaging 23.6 on the highway, and my car is heavily modified. As for city driving I still get 16 or better.

You may need to back off the gas pedal a bit buddy!! LOL
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
Styffydawg
SSinister

Drives: Ram SS/T + Murdered Out 2SS/RS
Is it a manual and do you do a lot of city driving?

SSinister
Styffydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally_Yellow View Post
Hey Everyone! So I've been lurking this forum for almost a year now and finally got the Camaro a few weeks ago. Its a Rally Yellow 2SS and it is BEAUTIFUL. I am enjoying every single second of it.

Now, I am only 16 and although I have been driving for over a year, this is all relatively new to me, so any tips or anything else you would like to let me know to help me take car of this car (I would like to keep it until I am an old man ) would be greatly appreciated. So my question is this, what mpg numbers are you guys getting, because I am getting about 11 mpg. iS this normal?

Thanks in advance
How the hell at 16 can u afford this car?
when I was 16 I couldnt afford the payments even if I had $15K to put down..

but any who.. congrats with the car.. enjoy..
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
MoranoRacing
Account Suspended

Drives: 2005 GTO, 1973 Camaro
easy on the gas lol. Perhaps the mpg is a bit off. I would check mpg this way. Get to a near empty tank of gas. Full it up completly. Reset your trip odometer. Test your mpg this way.

Good Luck!!
MoranoRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
will

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS
take it easy on the pedal buddy, a 16 year old with that much power.... be careful, please
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:22 AM   #7
Inferno2SSRS
Jim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Orange
Send a message via AIM to Inferno2SSRS
Good luck with it kid. I get like 12 mpg City its just too much fun, and I have a heavy foot.
Inferno2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:25 AM   #8
WICKEDSS
Dan

Drives: THE BEAST
I have a m6 and i get 13mpg in town and 27mpg on highway every now and then if im going down a hill with a tail wind its will jump up to 30+ haha but ya when i was 16 i drove a 69 chevy step side!!!!!!
WICKEDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:46 AM   #9
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
glad to know i'm not the only teenager that's getting this car

but congrats on the car!!

prty much in the same boat experience wise though so no help coming from here lmao
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:50 AM   #10
WICKEDSS
Dan

Drives: THE BEAST
Well taking care of the car is pretty easy.Im guessing you have a place to keep it out of the weather?? if not i would get a car cover asap if you worried about bird duke and the sort..im not really sure what you mean by taking care of it..If you taking about scheduled maintenance most of it is in your book...most people are off and on about break in time me personaly i put 1500 miles on it and changed the oil..i put a coffe filter to catch the oil to see how much metal comes out...then changed it again at 2k and no metal came out...alot of it depends how you drive the car i remember when i was 16...i drove the piss out of my truck...So that being said im going to change my rear end fluid when i hit 5k we get alot of vetts in that have tones of metal in the a$$ end...If this doesnt help you at all just let us know what you wanting advise on and we will be more than happy to help you take care of your baby..

Last edited by WICKEDSS; 10-16-2009 at 08:19 AM.
WICKEDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:17 AM   #11
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
you are one lucky SOB! welcome to the site! I had a pimping Cavalier at 16. You paying for it yourself? I can't imagine the payments plus your insurance costs. Your MPG #s are way low, unless you're burning out at every stop light, should be 20-25 mpg highway or more.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #12
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Congrats! Taking care of a car consists of maintenance, doing oil changes, etc. and keeping it clean and waxed on the outside, vacuumed and clean on the inside. Don't let it just sit outside in the elements; hopefully you at least have a carport or something to park it under.

To preserve the paint use a good wax; the best which also takes the most work is Zaino but you can also use other products that are good; the important thing is to keep a good wax on it to preserve the paint finish. Read this link to get some great tips on how to do this:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...red+made+ready

I ordered and used the Tropi-Care kit and wax and it's easy to use and works great.

As far as gas mileage a brand new car isn't going to get it's best mileage until it's got some miles on it and the engine is broken in. Change your oil early, between 50-100 miles to get the initial junk from the assembly line out of it, then you're good to go until the 1,500 mile mark.

If you keep her cleaned and maintained, she'll look great, run great and be a classic for you for a long long time.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:54 AM   #13
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
If you are doing mostly city driving and hardly leave 1-3 gears, getting on the gas a lot, I would say 11 mpg is normal.
If you spend most of your driving in the city then drive on the freeway for a few miles and expect your mpg is quickly register a much better reading, that is not going to happen, unless of course you are on the freeway a long time and not stop and go. The reading gives you the start to finish average. Do this, once you get on the freeway and no traffic, reset your mpg counter. If you drive a steady 65 in 6th gear for miles, I bet you'll see between 22-27 mpg. I drove 15 miles at steady 70mph and registered 27.3 mpg.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #14
Rally_Yellow

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro SS
Well thanks for the help everyone I apprecitr it greatly and here are the answers to some of your questions:

first off, it's an automatic
I do freelance graphic design so that's where I get the money

I've only done city driving and ALOT of it

I don't drive as crazy as most 16 year olds, but I don't drive like an old lady either

I do have a garage where I keep it at night, and at school I park it under the shade of a tree everyday. Also, I'm obsessed with keeping it clean, how many tines can I wash the car (once a week, twice, etc)

Another question, I have 218 miles on it, should I change the oil.

Thanks again for the help
Rally_Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote