Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-31-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
RxSummit16

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro LT2 RS
Shudder from V4 to V6 normal?

I've noticed this for awhile that under light throttle, right before afm kicks back up to v6 there is a shudder. Is this something that can be and should be fixed or considered normal operation?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
All over the forums the shudder is discussed... Its most likely your torque converter. There is a service bulletin out and your dealer should triple flush your trans replace the filter and add new fluid.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:33 PM   #3
RxSummit16

Ok thanks. I found that thread and just wanted to verify that it applied to the v6 also.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:17 PM   #4
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I feel no shudder.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:20 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
No shudder here .....@10000 miles
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:52 PM   #6
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
had the triple flush done, it was getting bad... to say the least the trans fluid is "allegedly" contaminated. I still have mine to send out for a sampling. looks awful, almost like diff fluid after a drain.

the triple flush the used mobil 1 HP LV fluid. theres a lil flutter here and there when the switch back goes down. maybe once a month. and this is after. no where near how it used to be though. I figure once warranty runs out, i'll upgrade to either a circle D or a tracy lewis converter.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:19 PM   #7
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
had the triple flush done, it was getting bad... to say the least the trans fluid is "allegedly" contaminated. I still have mine to send out for a sampling. looks awful, almost like diff fluid after a drain.

the triple flush the used mobil 1 HP LV fluid. theres a lil flutter here and there when the switch back goes down. maybe once a month. and this is after. no where near how it used to be though. I figure once warranty runs out, i'll upgrade to either a circle D or a tracy lewis converter.
I think the OP is referring to AFM.... doesn't have any impact on the trans whether afm is active or not or removed.

Were you having some kind of trans shuddering?
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:48 PM   #8
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
I think the OP is referring to AFM.... doesn't have any impact on the trans whether afm is active or not or removed.

Were you having some kind of trans shuddering?
that's what everyone is experiencing though. the shudder mainly occurs when the afm shifts from v4 to v6 mode (v4 to v8 on the SS). its the Torque converter lockup.

pretty much everyone that has had it, experiences it at that point of driving. one of the GM tech procedures is to hook up their monitoring device and watch the lock up when it shifts from v4 to v6 or 8.

its a thing on the MXO or A8 transmission. from the corvette, to the Camaros, and a few trucks running the A8 as well.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 08-31-2017, 04:57 PM   #9
RxSummit16

So my next question is...have I possibly damaged anything by not having this fixed sooner?
Old 08-31-2017, 05:13 PM   #10
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxSummit16 View Post
So my next question is...have I possibly damaged anything by not having this fixed sooner?
how many miles?

I'm just over 40k, I drive more than most BY FAR on a yearly basis. there's not really anything wrong with the car at all. some have gotten the flush and it fixed it, if it didn't, they replaced the TQ converter and that fixed it.

there was initial speculation that the Tq converters weren't cut as flat as they should be internally on some clutch parts. then GM went on to say the fluid was contaminated from the factory.

most all should be covered till 60K and if there's something wrong its under powertrain warranty. so you're good.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:17 PM   #11
RxSummit16

Only 20k..thanks for the info.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:22 PM   #12
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Only 20k..thanks for the info.
honestly, you should be good. 40k to go before that warranty runs out. just get it addressed as soon as you can. many people they are giving out loaner cars if they need yours for any extended period of time. so its a win win.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:47 PM   #13
RxSummit16

Finally got it to dealer and explained the situation and the tsb and they are trying to tell me it's engine shudder.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:22 PM   #14
Natro33

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT2 v6 A8
Quote:
Finally got it to dealer and explained the situation and the tsb and they are trying to tell me it's engine shudder.
Push back on their claim. I have a gm engineer coming to ride with me cause I won't concede to that ridiculous claim that it is normal. My afm shudder is not acceptable
Natro33 is offline   Reply With Quote