Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-21-2017, 03:27 PM   #29
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I'm sure it could be adapted onto just about any shifter mechanism, with the shift boot hiding whatever cutting/welding/etc. it took.

Norm
Don't know if cutting/welding/etc. would be worth the trouble not knowing what the final fit would be compared to just installing a Hurst short throw shifter.
camguynj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:16 PM   #30
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
I'm going to give this a try.
Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:09 PM   #31
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Don't know if cutting/welding/etc. would be worth the trouble not knowing what the final fit would be compared to just installing a Hurst short throw shifter.
I guess that depends on what shifter is already in the car, how well you like it on a functional level, and how badly you want the old-school look.

I would put some time into figuring out where I wanted the knob to end up and either leave a little temporary lever angle adjustability in it (easy enough to do with oversizing either or both of the two holes and using something like locktite'd setscrews to hold the adjustment) or be willing to cut and re-weld.

Norm
Old 11-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #32
camguynj

Replaced white Hurst knob with chrome one. Here's link to original post with before & after pics https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...96#post9821896
Old 11-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #33
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Absolutely love my L99, but if I had it all over to do again I would definitely get a 6-speed. Only got the auto cuz the wife said 'I want to be able to drive it too!'

Yea, well...10 months later and she hasn't sat in the driver's seat a single time.

I do miss that feel the TC is talking about.
but at least she isnt driving it.my wife doesnt drive mine either...thats a good thing.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #34
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS PANTHER View Post
Not a stick, but, I love the old school look and feel. Reminds me of my first car that came factory with the Hurst shifter and T-handle.
that is nice...is it made for the auto trans camaros or did you have to modify it?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:43 AM   #35
2ndtimess
2ndtimeSS

Drives: 2010 2SS 6 speed Infernal Orange

Longer Stick is The Way to Go.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:58 PM   #36
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndtimess View Post

Longer Stick is The Way to Go.
How did you find the longer stick performed over the short stick in terms of reducing notchiness and throw feel?
Old 06-30-2022, 12:46 PM   #37
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
After 4 yrs of the 5" flat stick that came with the Hurst Short Throw shifter, which I always felt was too short, I finally replaced it with a 8" round stick which I believe Hurst only recently made available. Prior to the 8" stick being available the only other replacement stick was a 10" flat stick which I felt would be much too high. The 8"stick is perfect. I highly recommend it. The shifts are smoother (it noticeably reduced the notchiness) and more pronounced. Combined with a RAM pedal adjuster that lowers the clutch release point it gives it that ole muscle car shift feel. Reminds me of what the shifter in my '66 GTO felt like ..it's like riding a bike you never forget.
70 outside the car, 17 behind the wheel every time

Note-after about a week the stick started to loosen. Guess I didn't torque the bolts enough, didn't want to risk stripping them. Just to make sure it would never loosen again I replaced the 1" bolts that came with the shifter with 1&1/4" bolts and put on nylon lock nuts. Could have use Blue loctite but didn't want to get involved with that.

11/08/18 - decided to go with a new look so I replaced the white Hurst plastic knob with an all chrome one. It's a lot heavier and makes shifts feel a little firmer, reduced notchiness a little more and eliminated a slight shimmy I would get in 5th. Here's a pic so you can see before and after.
Replaced leather shift boot with a rubber one. Even more ole school
Attached Images