Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-11-2021, 10:30 AM   #29
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I did PPF and paint correction and polish. Car looks much better then stock. I didn’t do ceramic coating, instead bought the detailers ceramic boost. I did two coats, use every three months as their formula has a lot of ceramic in it. For me as a weekend car mostly and garaged it is good enough. And you use it in place of wax. Just use waterless wash and it’s all good. As to PPF, I did the track package as I autocross on a lousy, gravely lot and the car will get peppered in the lower areas. I have zl1 Rock guards as well.
With PPF and guards, with 1700 street miles all over southern kali I have no rock chips on the new car other then three tiny chips on the rear qtr panel before the tire. And those were before the PPF.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:50 AM   #30
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
I’m the same way. I wash it myself using the self wash stalls. Takes me
15 minutes to spray it and dry it and costs me $5.50. And car looks awesome.
Wouldn’t pay a dime for the PFF or ceramic coating. That stuff is so expensive and total overkill to me.

i paid for correction and ceramic coating and i pay and spray almost every weekend a few minor scratches and rock dings from track use but overall paint still looks like new !
Old 02-11-2021, 11:27 AM   #31
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
I am normally a nay sayer on these after market things. My wife had her impala done last year. I cant believe how easily the dirt falls off her car now, with just a quick water rinse and its black.
I do use PPF on the rockers on both fenders also
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:52 AM   #32
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
I am normally a nay sayer on these after market things. My wife had her impala done last year. I cant believe how easily the dirt falls off her car now, with just a quick water rinse and its black.
I do use PPF on the rockers on both fenders also
A quality polish will do the same, though. Once the initial layer is applied, keeping it up every few washes is very easy and it's much cheaper than paying for ceramic coating from a pro shop.

I've used CarPro Eraser to clean the surfaces and CarPro Reload. Initial cleaning and coating took me a couple of hours. Now it takes about 20 minutes to freshen up the car after a wash and dry, and the wash leaves the paint super sparkly clean (Summit White). Total investment in a bottle of each was under $100 and will last me two full years (or more).
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:16 PM   #33
Dagstar

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly1226 View Post
Just recently purchased a Black 2021 convertible SS2 and I am still debating whether or not to do the ceramic coating for the paint on this car. The dealer I bought the car from is offering Cilajet treatment and I want to know is it worth doing? Your input is appreciated, thank you!
As others have said, take it elsewhere if you want it done. My car's black and I wish I had gone with PPF on the whole thing from the start. Expensive but probably worth it. At minimum I'd do the front bumper, hood (or leading edge of), mirrors, and leading edge of the roof.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:12 PM   #34
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
If you're not one that enjoys (or at least does it anyway) the maintenance of washing, waxing, correcting, I think a ceramic coat couldn't hurt. Is it worth the price to have it done? To me, absolutely not. PPF is one thing, but I would never pay to have a vehicle ceramic coated. If you do decide to have it coated, go literally anywhere besides a dealership. Have you seen what some of the "detailed" vehicles look like that come from there?
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:12 PM   #35
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
The original paint jobs on our cars leave a lot to be desired. I decided that I’m not going to put a lot of effort and money into preserving an inferior paint job. Sometime within the next year or so my warranty will expire and I’ll no longer have to drive the kids to school. At that point I’ll decide between stripping this one down for a higher quality custom job plus add a supercharger, or sell it and buy a new Corvette if they’re being offered with super chargers.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:02 AM   #36
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly1226 View Post
Just recently purchased a Black 2021 convertible SS2 and I am still debating whether or not to do the ceramic coating for the paint on this car. The dealer I bought the car from is offering Cilajet treatment and I want to know is it worth doing? Your input is appreciated, thank you!

I know WAY more about car paint than the engine. Ceramic coatings are great, offer insane gloss and protect the paint. The are not a force field though and can be damaged just like clear coat. The will not protect against deep scratches but will help with light swirls.

Swirls are minor scratches that usually can be seen in bright sun or under right over head lighting (think gas stations.

Weather or not you need it polish or corrected depends on the paints condition.

If you have a led flash light look at paint in several area in the dark with flash light. If it looks like left will need correction. Looks like right then your good. Paint will still need to be cleaned and decontaminated.

Here’s the thing though if your not going to maintain your paint and by that i mean hand wash it (research 2 bucket wash) then i might forgo ceramic coating and just have it polished once every year or two and maintained with wax.

Going through drive through washes with any kind of brushes are going to bring those swirls back as what is known as wash induced marring is what those tiny scratches (swirls are). Touchless washes are better but those soaps have to “clean” better as nothing is agitating the dirt off.

Bad things about those harsher chemicals is it can degrade the coating.

I did my own. Is it as good as a pro.... maybe 85%. I also did my own correction. I find detailing my cars soothing.

If your going to take care of your paint by hand washing or having someone wash for you... or at least using touchless washes i say go for it.

You’ll see a phenomenal difference.

Also definitely recommend the PPF.

Lastly DO NOT go through the dealer. You’ll either get a good polish and coating marked up or a shotty job.

Lastly don’t let the dealer EVER wash your car. They’re using the same mitts and bucket on every car throghout the day. Were do you think the dirt washing off ends up?

In the Mitts, brushes and buckets they’re going to use to wash your car....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:09 AM   #37
Chevelle vs Camaro

Here are pics of previous car right after coating and 1.5 years later well maintained. Just got camaro so haven’t had time to apply coating.

When 1st done

1.5 years later

Black is beautiful when maintained. Pics don’t do justice. My paint looked like candied molten glass after it was done and i literally would grin everytime i saw her for the next month.

Old 02-13-2021, 05:26 AM   #38
scapone4

Drives: 2015 SW 1LE
For those worried about the water spots and not being scratch resistant, you should try out the Graphene Coating. Similar in properties to Ceramic but actually is scratch resistant and lasts a very long time(5+ years). I just used it on my 21 and it looks great. I used Adam’s.

scapone4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:38 AM   #39
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Waterspots are a huge problem depending on weather patterns your car is exposed to.

I won't do ceramic ever again.

Get car paint corrected if you want the gloss.
Use Turtle wax seal & shine or Megs hybrid ceramic wax or Sonax BSD or something similar once a month after a wash. Takes me 5 minutes a month (don't need this every month either). Awesome gloss on TW S&S after paint correction. Water spots are easily corrected. If you get your car ceramic coated, you may have to polish off the etched water spots. A lot more time has to be put in to correct water spots on ceramic coatings. That's my experience. Do what you must.

Last edited by indyz; 02-13-2021 at 10:51 AM.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #40
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
I had my entire car done with Ceramic Pro 9H by a certified installer. I use pay & spray stalls or (rarely) touchless car washes to keep the car clean every 1-2 weeks, depending on weather.

My car is now at 60K+ miles and looks nearly new, except for the expected small rock chips up front.

I'm 58 and enjoy a clean car more than I enjoy detailing it (lower back issues), so the ceramic coating helps me keep it clean and almost swirl free with minimal effort.

My car is garaged, but I often drive in the rain and pull right into the garage while wet, without wiping it down, and do not have water spots. I would be leery of leaving it in the sun after driving in the rain without wiping it down with detailer and a good-quality microfiber.

OP, if you are going to get it done, have a trained pro do it, as they will do full paint correction first (even on a brand new car) to ensure best results. It will not be cheap (mine was just under $2000 and gets a yearly "top off" maintenance treatment for about $200). It's the price I'm willing to pay to not have to detail and polish it myself (ever).

Oh...by the way...if you decide to do PPF on any parts of the car, it is highly recommended that you do that BEFORE ceramic coating, as most PPF will not adhere well to the slick ceramic surface.

Hope this helps..

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:49 AM   #41
Chevelle vs Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapone4 View Post
For those worried about the water spots and not being scratch resistant, you should try out the Graphene Coating. Similar in properties to Ceramic but actually is scratch resistant and lasts a very long time(5+ years). I just used it on my 21 and it looks great. I used Adam’s.

A coating a few microns thick won’t be very scratch resistant... maybe light wash induced micro scratches.....

Old 02-22-2021, 03:39 AM   #42
NYblack1le

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Ammonyc reflex pro. Its an enamel based coating and not a water spot magnet. So far I’m very impressed. Last coating I did was gyeon mohs and I was pretty impressed with that too.
NYblack1le is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceramic coating, cilajet