Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
billy2642

Drives: 2013 VR ZL1 Manual
Check Engine Oil Command Came On But the Engine Oil is Fine

So I was driving back home from Austin (about 50 miles) and right as I turn onto my street, the dash starts flashing "Check Engine Oil". My first thought was WTF!!! I had just had the oil changed about a week and a half ago and had maybe 400 miles on this oil change. My car didnt sound any different or anything so I drove it the last 50 yards and put it in my garage. I open the hood to let it cool down and about an hour later I check the oil but it looks like its filled perfectly still. Anyone else have this issue or an idea on what I can do? THANKS!
2013 VR ZL1 Manual #0801. Airais CAI, More to come........
billy2642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
I would bring it to the dealer just in case because our cars are retarded when it comes to oiling
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
So this guy's CEL comes on when there is a full reservoir of Oil....whereas the rest of us unlucky bastards found out the hard....WTF LOL.

I would take it to the dealer and describe the problem. Make sure they check every part of the oil system, from the housing on to the oil pan including the dip stick. If you are still unsatisfied have them put color dye in, drive it around for a week and bring her back.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
So this guy's CEL comes on when there is a full reservoir of Oil....whereas the rest of us unlucky bastards found out the hard....WTF LOL.

I would take it to the dealer and describe the problem. Make sure they check every part of the oil system, from the housing on to the oil pan including the dip stick. If you are still unsatisfied have them put color dye in, drive it around for a week and bring her back.
kind of what I was thinking... oil warning when full, and no warning when low...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
dagolfguy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
That warning musty be in lieu of the oil pressure gauge on the models with the gauge cluster? I'm guessing...

I would like to pass along something I discovered on my car.
I have the gauge cluster.
When I first start the car and back out of the garage, I have noticed like many that the oil pressure is always pegged at 70+ PSI for a short while until the engine calms down. This is only the case for a few moments.
When I see the oil pressure during that time read slightly below 70PSI (not above), I have discovered that the car is starting to be about 1/2qt low on the dip stick (when checked cold). So, using that method, it's been easy to keep track of the oil level in the car. I've tested the theory many times, and although my car has not often needed oil added, each time it does the gauge reads the way I have described. When that has occured, I've added the 1/2 quart (or whatever) and the pressure reading at cold-start time returns to what I've described as "normal".
I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else who's seen this type of behavior.
-Dave
dagolfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
xpanda305x
Banned

Drives: Dark Knight
i checked my oil yesterday :yay:
xpanda305x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfguy View Post
That warning musty be in lieu of the oil pressure gauge on the models with the gauge cluster? I'm guessing...

When I first start the car and back out of the garage, I have noticed like many that the oil pressure is always pegged at 70+ PSI for a short while until the engine calms down. This is only the case for a few moments.
When I see the oil pressure during that time read slightly below 70PSI (not above), I have discovered that the car is starting to be about 1/2qt low on the dip stick (when checked cold). So, using that method, it's been easy to keep track of the oil level in the car. I've tested the theory many times, and although my car has not often needed oil added, each time it does the gauge reads the way I have described. When that has occured, I've added the 1/2 quart (or whatever) and the pressure reading at cold-start time returns to what I've described as "normal".
-Dave
Low oil pressure (pump failure, etc.) will trigger that warning so if you have no guage to verify do NOT drive it to the dealer....have it flat bedded. If you have good oil pressure then I suspect the level unit is faulty.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
2 2

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1lt.rs. Bottle fed
GM is backwards with this oil thing. Atleast you saw this light, and not a tow truck... Good thing you were full.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
interesting, Just shows that the gauges trump idiot lights. Hope everything works out ok, at least you have oil, but I would take Tracy's advice and check your pump.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #10
billy2642

Drives: 2013 VR ZL1 Manual
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you guys. So I checked it this morning again and the oil level was fine; just like last night. I have a buddy come over before I start it and have him listen to the engine as i do. I start it and the engine sounds perfect but it still says check oil. I have my buddy get in and he verifies that it indeed does say check oil just in case Im going crazy. I call Onstar and they say they arent detecting anything. Kinda weird but whatever. I finally say f*ck it and drive the car knowing I have a warranty. Im driving for a while with my buddy and all of a sudden I hear a ding and I look at the display which now reads Change oil soon or whatever. WTF!!!!! is what Im thinking at this particular moment being as stated in the orginal thread, I just had it changed. So I then go to another buddies house who works at a quick lube and he resets it for me. Im thinking, maybe GM forgot to do it when they changed the oil. Simple mistake. I then drive another 15 miles and it AGAIN dings and says change oil soon. WTF!!!!!!!!! I give up. If it blows it blows and then Ill get it fixed and trade it in for the SS. I do not have the gauge cluster BTW
2013 VR ZL1 Manual #0801. Airais CAI, More to come........
billy2642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #11
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Ummm....why not just take it to the dealer before the engine blows?

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #12
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Just bring it to the dealer and have them look at it. If it blows after that then who cares lol.
Thats what im doing, if the motor blows, the motor blows. Ill deal with it then and I wont be a happy camper
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:42 AM   #13
camarostar2010

Drives: 2011 SS
I have heard a few members say that oil pressure pumps are failing on some cars. They said it usually shows a warning a few times before it kicks the bucket.
camarostar2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfguy View Post

-Dave
Thanks for that info...I might invest in a cluster...

Maybe the sensor that's suppose to warn you of low oil is messed up?
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote