Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
jatt5ab1soorma

Drives: Camaro 2011 LS
Brake squeaking issue

i have the 2011 camaro ls and it has like 9500 miles only and i have read on the forum already about the squeaking brakes issue... im getting slight squeaking noises when i step on the brakes..no noises when i step on gas pedas (read about this on the forums here earlier) - just wanted to state that so im more clear on the problem...WHAT DID YOU GUYS DO TO MAKE THE SQUEAKING GO AWAY? its irritating me
jatt5ab1soorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
jatt5ab1soorma

???
Old 04-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
RedRocketSS
BSHU

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel SS
My brakes have squeeked from day one, im at 10k miles. Dealership tried to fix it but no success.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
There hasn't been a pad I couldn't get to stop squealing with liberal amounts of permatex copper anti-seize on all mating surfaces between the pistons and the backing plates, including any shims.
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
maverickmage

Drives: Camaro V6 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocketSS View Post
My brakes have squeeked from day one, im at 10k miles. Dealership tried to fix it but no success.
You have a SS. The OP has an LS, it's a different issue from the Brembo squeaks.

@OP
I've had squeaking issues also with the brakes. Took it in twice to the dealer. First time around, was told that they didn't find any issues with my brakes and the sounds were normal. Brought it back, the sound worsened from squeaking occasionally to squeaking regularly plus it started making groaning sounds intermittently. Took it back and they got back to me saying that there was a defect with my brakes and they replaced it. Got my service report and it shows that they found hot spots on my rotors and they resurfaced it. Replaced my a$$.

Well on the plus side, the sounds did go away so I guess it solved the problem.
maverickmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
This is a known problem with the SS's. There is a do it yourself procedure involving using brake quiet, to get it to go away. I know you don't want to hear this, but you'll probably have to learn to live with it. Unless you want to shell out the cash to upgrade your brakes and rotors.

You can also try the bedding procedure. This seems to work sometimes.

Bedding involves getting the car up to about 35mph, and then applying your brakes to a full stop. Don't put enough pressure to make the ABS activate, but apply enough pressure to make the car come to a complete stop quickly.

Do this about 5 times, and increase your top speed that you apply the brakes every time. Go up to 40, then 45, then 50, etc....... Apply the brakes hard, but firm, and bring to a controlled stop.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickmage View Post
Took it back and they got back to me saying that there was a defect with my brakes and they replaced it. Got my service report and it shows that they found hot spots on my rotors and they resurfaced it. Replaced my a$$.
Sounds like they just cut the rotor smooth again? Makes me wonder if it's that wonderful Chinese steel. I almost threw up when I had my 20" wheels off and decided to clean them and saw the nice "Made in China" stamp on the spoke.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
iHasCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
Sounds like they just cut the rotor smooth again? Makes me wonder if it's that wonderful Chinese steel. I almost threw up when I had my 20" wheels off and decided to clean them and saw the nice "Made in China" stamp on the spoke.
Seriously? China? That's lame...
Old 04-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
iHasCamaro

I've run track pads on the street which would normally squeal like a stuck pig if it were not for liberal application of the Permatex copper anti-seize...
Old 04-10-2012, 02:03 AM   #10
jatt5ab1soorma

i did a hard stop at a stop sign cuz i read a post somewhere saying if u make a hard stop then the squealing goes away, it hasnt been squealing for a day or two but lets see if its my good luck or bad :(...thanks for everything though guyss
Old 04-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
cmb74656

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/BLI A6
I've been told that brake squeal is an indication that the vehicle has very good brakes.
If that's the case, the garbage truck that picks up in my neighborhood has the best brakes on Earth.

MODS: RX Performance catch can, Jegs CAI, ZL1 grille, chrome license plate frame, GM locking gas cap, Defender Worx chrome DRL bezels, GM molded splash guards, Oracle LED side markers, DRLs, tag lights and reverse lamps, Technostalgia Rapid Fire tail lamps, Vitesse shift paddle extenders, MBRP cat back.
FUTURE: long tube headers, front splitter, slotted/drilled rotors, leather console and e-brake handle boot, remote fuel door and rear seat release, sway bars and bushings.
WISH LIST: Edelbrock E-Force SC, LS3 conversion
cmb74656 is offline   Reply With Quote