Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
masonwader

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
V6 manual, trouble shifting into 1st from neutral.

I own a 2011 LS with a manual transmission. It currently has only 9k miles.

Occasionally when at a stop (like a red light), I cannot push the shifter into 1st gear. I can move it into 2nd, reverse, or any other gear, but on these rare occasions 1st gear is blocked and I'm often left with pissed off people behind me so I take off in 2nd.

This is probably the "lockout" I've read about that should prevent you from shifting into a gear at an RPM that would put you past red line correct?

Is there any recall or known information on this before I go look like a fool in the chevy dealership?

Also, I tried to search for similar topics, but I'm terrible with forum searches... and I apologize if this already has a ton of posts.

Thanks in advance!
masonwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
masonwader

Bumping to keep top of new posts, so someone sees my post xD
Old 05-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I found it seems to be I can't shift into first when I am over about 12 mph.
I've not had that problem though.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
pocketcthulhu

Drives: 2014 2ss/RS 5th gen Camaro #2
my 1ss is rather touchy about shifting back into first, I just back off and try it again going a hair slower, Btw this is addressed in the owner's manual i suggest you read the section on shifting.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
The service manual covers how to fix it. Hopefully your dealer knows how to read the service manual.

Basically you first test the clutch, and the manual tells exactly how to do that. Clutch working perfectly, and you're still getting a block out of a gear, then it's time to get into the trans and replace what is out of whack. Could be something like a bent shift fork, or the gear/blocking ring/synchro set needs to be replaced as a set. If it does it all the time, possibly that fork issue. More intermittently, I'd lean toward it needing a gear/blocking ring/synchro set. The manual covers that stuff has to be replaced as a set.

A good trans tech will follow the manual step by step, probably has it memorized, and know exactly how to diagnose and repair.

If it is really rare in happening, may not be worth messing with. Possibly the gears/blockers aren't quite lining up. I've had many 6 spds do that on rare occasions. Just bump the car forward in 2nd, then grab first again and take off. Especially if it is a really low mileage car.
Sometimes all that stuff just needs a break in. My new SS does that on occasion where I can't grab 1st, so I just bump it a bit in another gear then 1st slides right in. But if its a higher mileage car that just started doing it often, that's when I'd look into it as a possible problem.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonwader View Post

Occasionally when at a stop (like a red light), I cannot push the shifter into 1st gear. I can move it into 2nd, reverse, or any other gear, but on these rare occasions 1st gear is blocked and I'm often left with pissed off people behind me so I take off in 2nd.

This is probably the "lockout" I've read about that should prevent you from shifting into a gear at an RPM that would put you past red line correct?

Is there any recall or known information on this before I go look like a fool in the chevy dealership?

Also, I tried to search for similar topics, but I'm terrible with forum searches... and I apologize if this already has a ton of posts.

Thanks in advance!
We are so sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your 2011 Camaro. You should have the New Vehicle Limited warranty still on your side. As for a recall being present, I should be able to pull up any information on your vehicle. If you want to PM me with your name and VIN I will be happy to assist you. Keep us posted and look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
Cereus

Drives: 2011 Summit White LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonwader View Post

Thanks in advance!
Yeah, mine does this too. It occurs too intermittently for me to try and take it to the dealers though. I'm sure they would try it out and if it works, just write it off as having found no problem.
Cereus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
masonwader

Thanks for all the input, I am going to bring it in and talk to them.

It also has a problem that I found on the forums of having a rubbing sound while turning at low speed because of a problem with the fluid in the rear... (I saved the information in my documents somewhere and don't remember the specific part name)

Doing all my research before I walk in there and seem like an idiot
Old 06-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
A9AL8R

Drives: IBM 2LT W/CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
We are so sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your 2011 Camaro. You should have the New Vehicle Limited warranty still on your side. As for a recall being present, I should be able to pull up any information on your vehicle. If you want to PM me with your name and VIN I will be happy to assist you. Keep us posted and look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Hi Brandon my car does this as well i hardly go on here and ive heard if it doesnt happen all the time the dealerships will not do anything so ive never done anything about it but my car not only does it in 1st but 2nd and 3rd as well i only have 22,xxx miles on my car its a 2010 2LT RS is there anything i can do? Any advice will be much appreciated thanks in advance Mike
Old 06-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
Irishsavan

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I actually had an issue like this on mine recently. Mine had a problem with grinding second gear, and I evenutally got locked out of first gear. What ended up happening was a weak 1st-2nd synchro that had a folded edge onto the other gearing. This made it so I could go into every gear except first. Long story short - I got a whole new transmission under warranty because the part they needed was on backorder.

This may not be your case though... I tended (past-tense) towards very aggresive driving and when I had the issue it physically wouldn't go into first with the car off or anything.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
caligrown562

Drives: 2012 1SS
My 2012 ss does the same thing and it only has 500 miles on it. I am waiting for my first oil change to take it in. It clunks really bad sometimes while shifting into second.
caligrown562 is offline   Reply With Quote