Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 06-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #351
bambam72_1999

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Convertible
Thanks GM u lost another customer!!!

So I just got back from seeing the district service manager about the rub marks on my top. He says rub marks are normal, and wont even consider replacing just the top until the rub marks turn into holes! I said normal for a 40K car? Then I mentioned the whole new mechanism that is out and he said I dont think that will fit this car! R u kidding me??? All this and they know I have a GM case number but he doesnt seem to care. First American car in 10 years and now I remember why!!! What do I do to get this resolved without going through the Lemon Law or getting BBB involved. I really like the car but not all the issues.
bambam72_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #352
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberious View Post
Went into Chevrolet of Puyallup today to follow up on the 'repair' from the TSB. A wire was now sticking out from the side and wind noise had gotten worse. To my surprise both dept. managers met me at the door and immediately started inspecting the top. By the time they were done they were fuming at the situation. They started a mind meld of ideas on how to approach both GM and resolving the problem. They were excited to hear (from me) that GM had a new mechanism for future Camaro production and immediately went about finding out about it. To nobody's surprise GM has been pretty mum to their dealers on the subject. Interestingly enough Brandon (of GM Customer Service Rep fame) had contacted them and urged some action...though to be honest I don't feel that these guys needed much urging! In any case, I'll keep you guys updated on what happens next. The plan for now is to fix the current top with the ultimate goal of replacing it with the new top/mechanism down the line. As things stand right now, I'm pretty optimistic. Far more than I expected at this stage of the game!
Hope things get better....but; both our cars came off the line the same week, and guess what; My 5th bow broke yestereday while on vacation. Stopped at a local GM dealer and they confirmed it. Guess I'll go ahead and get the top replaced and the hopefully maybe a whole new mechanism. We'll see.....
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #353
bambam72_1999

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Convertible
GM offered me a LETTER!!??

The district service manager called and said he will offer me a letter that says he will stand behind the top until 5yr or 100K, but they are not going to do anything else until it becomes holes. Also, the passenger rear window actuator issue is being resolved like this... I can go on the lot to the new camaro convertibles and cycle the windows up and down and which ever actuator I want, they will take it out of the new car and put my faulty one into a brand new car!!! What is that about???
bambam72_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #354
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam72_1999 View Post
The district service manager called and said he will offer me a letter that says he will stand behind the top until 5yr or 100K, but they are not going to do anything else until it becomes holes. Also, the passenger rear window actuator issue is being resolved like this... I can go on the lot to the new camaro convertibles and cycle the windows up and down and which ever actuator I want, they will take it out of the new car and put my faulty one into a brand new car!!! What is that about???
It's so you don't have to wait for a replacement actuator. I am sure they will get one on order for the car they take it out of. I had a dealer do that one time on a broken piece of trim.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #355
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Got word today and there is not ETA on my new top.

I think I am going to road trip to Iowa and watch the corn grow. That has to be a hell of a lot more fun than this waiting game.

-Funk
2012 Convert 2SS/RS SW/IO LS3 - Build #1081

07/21/2011 - (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping.
08/09/2011 - (4200) Shipped (vehicle is shipped to the dealer or interim point of delivery).
08/16/2011 - (5000) Vehicle has been delivered to dealer.
08/19/2011 - In my possession.
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #356
Tiberious
Old '71 Owner

Drives: 11 Camaro Vert;97 Malibu;03 Venture
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony View Post
Hope things get better....but; both our cars came off the line the same week, and guess what; My 5th bow broke yestereday while on vacation. Stopped at a local GM dealer and they confirmed it. Guess I'll go ahead and get the top replaced and the hopefully maybe a whole new mechanism. We'll see.....
That sucks buddy. Keep us posted on the response for repairs. Also, can you still cycle the top ok with a broken bow (should have happened in Broken Bow, NE) so you can get her home?

Sorry for the bad news!

Tib
Tiberious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #357
bulllett

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam72_1999 View Post
So I just got back from seeing the district service manager about the rub marks on my top. He says rub marks are normal, and wont even consider replacing just the top until the rub marks turn into holes! I said normal for a 40K car? Then I mentioned the whole new mechanism that is out and he said I dont think that will fit this car! R u kidding me??? All this and they know I have a GM case number but he doesnt seem to care. First American car in 10 years and now I remember why!!! What do I do to get this resolved without going through the Lemon Law or getting BBB involved. I really like the car but not all the issues.
Your easiest step would be BBB. It seems like everyone that has gone that route has won (for the most part). Its hard for GM to put up an irrational argument to a unconnected third party.

I'm thinking their new strategy is to push everything away until it goes to the courts. Its possible that their bean counters did the math on full replacements (because replacing canvas only was getting expensive) and found... that it would be cheaper to just deny everybody and deal with those that don't give up, in the court system. You say "what about the buybacks?" I would think that they don't consider those a big loss because they still have product that they can and will re-sell. Also, the buybacks would be a very low percentage.

I gotta admit that I'm trying very hard to prove that a normal person can push their way through the bullshit and get proper results through the "proper" channels (without lawyers or lemons etc.) but I'm doubting that its going to turn out that way.

I did hear through one of our members who was forced to take the legal route, that the lawyer is "flooded" with calls about the Convertible Camaro.

Ok bambam, don't take no for an answer. Repeat the obvious argument against these being normal (plenty of camaro's out there don't have these; why the TSB's if these marks are normal; The the many re-designs if the marks are normal; (if this fits your background) reference the other convertibles you have had; point out that the marks don't wash off (because water and soap will not add material back on - therefore it is taking material off); reference the Josh Holder video I posted up; reference Al O's quote about convertible tops.

If that doesn't make them move then ask for their superior. If they say no, then you would need to get their name and "rank" and send off a note to corporate. Since you have a case number, put some pressure on them as well.

This my dear folks, is what I have been telling all the naysayers about. GM is telling those with problems to go pound sand! Not the dealers, its directly from GM. THAT is what I have a problem with. These people with legitimate problems (me as well) are being told to get lost. Period
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #358
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Seems like I am reading about more and more that are getting their tops replaced with very little arguing, ( my son is one of them ) my question to those that seem to be running into a brick wall on this is why do some have no problem getting satisfaction while others can't? If it was GM balking on it wouldn't everyone be having a hard time? I'm just pointing this out as fact and not something I have made up.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #359
whidobie

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS RS
I agree to get the BBB involved. The last thing a company wants to hear is that the BBB is involved. Watch how quickly someone from GM or dealership contacts you.
whidobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #360
themoneypit

Drives: 2012 45th convertible ss ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Seems like I am reading about more and more that are getting their tops replaced with very little arguing, ( my son is one of them ) my question to those that seem to be running into a brick wall on this is why do some have no problem getting satisfaction while others can't? If it was GM balking on it wouldn't everyone be having a hard time? I'm just pointing this out as fact and not something I have made up.
it is odd that some have no problems and others cant get anything done... im anxious to see what happens with mine..
themoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #361
themoneypit

Drives: 2012 45th convertible ss ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by whidobie View Post
I agree to get the BBB involved. The last thing a company wants to hear is that the BBB is involved. Watch how quickly someone from GM or dealership contacts you.
so true!! within 24-48 hrs usually from the time u file a claim online. if that gets the fire under their ass, then you dont have to fill out the claim forms when they arrive, and there is no "ding" on GMs record. i know because ive already done that and told GM i wouldnt submit the claim forms if they make my car right!! so, we wait.
themoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #362
Blitz

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
I am sorry to hear about the concern you are all having with your convertible top. It is great that your dealerships are taking a look at it to see if there are any options available to you all. If you could please keep me updated on your service appointments, I would greatly appreciate it!

If there is a concern after the service appointment, please feel free to reach out and contact me with any details and please include your first and last name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage and involved dealership.

All the best,

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Had the "enhancements" done today at City Chevy... Service Rep was good about it and seemed familiar with the issue which was nice to not have to explain it. He agreed that my top was borderline for a full replacement and asked if I was ok doing the enhancements and just keeping an eye on it. To be honest, I'm good with that for now, as long as it doesn't continue to rub, I think it'll be ok. I like the idea of having the factory installed top on for some reason. Now to wait and see how it holds up!

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #363
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
When the bow breaks, the cradle will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony View Post
My 5th bow broke yesterday while on vacation.
How does the bow break? Putting the top up and down, or just by going over a bump?
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #364
Fnfalguy
Supreme Advisor

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Call GM Customer Service if you haven't already to address the problem with the dealership.
Fnfalguy is offline   Reply With Quote