Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014, 11:15 PM   #29
CrystalRedTintcoat


 
CrystalRedTintcoat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bay Area, online, & in my 1LE
Posts: 2,637
My brother in law owns a shop in NY. For Chevy parts and estimated labor he said $3,500 for cam and heads. This is about $1,500 in parts and $2,000 in labor. The service manual suggested 26 hours.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #30
flamethrower
 
Drives: 2010 2ss/rs
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft Wayne IN
Posts: 16
Cam install plus conversion

I just received this quote,thoughts anyone?
Header and Catted Connection Pipes
Kooks Racing Headers & Catted Connection Pipes​Parts & Labor $ 1533.77
High Performance Camshaft Install:
Labor includes removal of Active Fuel Management or DOD components, replacement of all 16 lifters, camshaft, and timing components. Cylinder heads have to be removed to complete this project and will include the upgrade of head bolts to ARP Head studs and will also include the use of LS9 Head Gaskets for future Boost potential. Crank pulley is removed to install camshaft during the reinstall the crank would be “pinned” and a ATI pulley would be installed for future supercharger upgrade.
• Custom Grind Camshaft ​219/233 .607/.619 ​ 117+4 LSA

• Melling High Volume Oil Pump
• Cnc Ported heads & Valve job
• BTR Dual Spring Valve Spring Set
• Smith Brothers Heavy Sidewall Push Rods
• JP Performance Timing Chain Kit
• GM Gasket kit
• LS9 Head Gaskets
• Oil & Oil Filter
• Spark Plugs
• ARP Crank Bolt & Cam Bolts
• Coolant & 160deg. Thermostat

• DOD Delete Kit​
• ARP Head Studs
• ATI Balancer
• 16 - LS7 Lifter

Parts & Labor $ 4969.89
CNC Head Porting & Valve Job ​Remove - $700.00
flamethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:43 PM   #31
Livernois Motorsports

 
Livernois Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dearborn Heights, MI
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjw12 View Post
Thinking of doing a rough idle cam for my 2010 ss, my question is how much are people/shops getting for installs? I have $2500 for cam and install, is this realistic? I live in Albany, NY.
Forgot to mention LS3 M6
Thanks

JWJW12

We have numerous packages for the Camaro. What mods do you have done to the car so far, and what are your future plans for the car? PM me all of your information and we can get a quote to you that will have the parts, labor, and tuning.

Brandon
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:10 AM   #32
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed
 
Snidely Whiplash's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NRH, TX
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
That is the name of the cam spec'd and sold by JRE.

To the OP, that sounds reasonable to me. I also have an M6 and was quoted anywhere from $1800 to $2400 for all parts, labor, tune, etc. Good luck with your choice, and choose a reliable installer with a GREAT tuner, and not just the cheapest option.
I totally concur with that statement.

Pulling a spark plug to get a radical idle was something done by wannabes back in the 60s and 70s. If you can back it up, you were not a wannabe - you were COOOL MAN!

Calling a cam by it's idle qualities is deceiving. A nitrous (blower?) cam needs less duration on the intake and more on the exhaust. I ran a HUGE nitrous flat tappet cam on a street driven Chevy II. The cam idle sounded very mild due to lack of intake duration, but a 150 shot of laughing gas put the figures up 219 RWHR from no gas.

Never judge a book by it cover (sound)...judge it by the dyno or ET slips.
__________________
Bring back Sunoco 260 to the local station. Some folks STILL drive L-88s and need the good gas.
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #33
That_Guy
 
That_Guy's Avatar
 
Drives: n/a
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
I just received this quote,thoughts anyone?
Header and Catted Connection Pipes
Kooks Racing Headers & Catted Connection Pipes​Parts & Labor $ 1533.77
High Performance Camshaft Install:
Labor includes removal of Active Fuel Management or DOD components, replacement of all 16 lifters, camshaft, and timing components. Cylinder heads have to be removed to complete this project and will include the upgrade of head bolts to ARP Head studs and will also include the use of LS9 Head Gaskets for future Boost potential. Crank pulley is removed to install camshaft during the reinstall the crank would be “pinned” and a ATI pulley would be installed for future supercharger upgrade.
• Custom Grind Camshaft ​219/233 .607/.619 ​ 117+4 LSA

• Melling High Volume Oil Pump
• Cnc Ported heads & Valve job
• BTR Dual Spring Valve Spring Set
• Smith Brothers Heavy Sidewall Push Rods
• JP Performance Timing Chain Kit
• GM Gasket kit
• LS9 Head Gaskets
• Oil & Oil Filter
• Spark Plugs
• ARP Crank Bolt & Cam Bolts
• Coolant & 160deg. Thermostat

• DOD Delete Kit​
• ARP Head Studs
• ATI Balancer
• 16 - LS7 Lifter

Parts & Labor $ 4969.89
CNC Head Porting & Valve Job ​Remove - $700.00
Price on the headers is too high, check maryland speed. Cam price is pretty crazy too
That_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:03 AM   #34
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed
 
Snidely Whiplash's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NRH, TX
Posts: 986
New guys goota learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Yep, thanks to Snidely again. Apparently he's bored today.
I' NEVER bored, just curious. As I've built street/strip cars for 45 years, I know a few things. The modern stuff, not so much. So I do Google searches and threads come up.

A applaud all the folks that supply knowledge to those in need. Even old threads can give the new guys what they need.

Bringing up old threads...I'll continue to do so if I need to learn something, or if someone is in need of tech advice.

There's nothing wrong helping folks in need, even if it involves old threads.

I can remove/replace an early small block engine blindfolded. I cannot do a thing with modern engines, 'cept for a ported TB.
__________________
Bring back Sunoco 260 to the local station. Some folks STILL drive L-88s and need the good gas.
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #35
CWI
Helping Build America
 
CWI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Freeport LPG Export
Posts: 3,836
I spent about $1300 in parts to install a new cam a year and a half ago. Parts only. Did the labor myself. Then a new tune because the cam was bigger than the first performance cam I had.

This included new cam, lifters, exhaust valves and all valve seals including lapping the heads and valves, head gaskets, front cover gasket, water pump gasket. Anti freeze was still good so reused it.

I had most of the tools but had to buy a few to do the job. If I had professional setup and lift I could have done the job in about 6-8 hours easily. That would make labor pretty generous at $1200 or more. Just make sure you get good valve springs and pushrods for the heavier load. Would also highly recommend the LS2 chain dampener and a Ktech C5 chain. They should also let you keep your stock cam and springs in case you ever want to restore it to stock. Why let them profit on your parts when someone else just needs a new stock cam from them.
__________________
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"
CWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:43 AM   #36
spadz93
BUMBL Z
 
spadz93's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 ZL1
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Norwood NJ
Posts: 2,433
Old thread or not, I'm actually in the same boat, except I'm right over the border in NJ (Bergen county). I'm considering going down to Cartek in Garwood NJ since he did my dyno tune about a year back and that shop usually turns out solid work, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Similar budget, can go up to 3k parts included but don't want to really come too close to that. Strongly leaning towards the Nightfury cam from LR.
__________________
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab, VMAX Throttle body, 2.55 Upper/8.86 Lower Pulleys, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, 614rwhp/616rwtq
Past: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq
spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:01 PM   #37
Splat

 
Splat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 1SS M6 IOM
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Rochelle New York
Posts: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadz93 View Post
Old thread or not, I'm actually in the same boat, except I'm right over the border in NJ (Bergen county). I'm considering going down to Cartek in Garwood NJ since he did my dyno tune about a year back and that shop usually turns out solid work, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Similar budget, can go up to 3k parts included but don't want to really come too close to that. Strongly leaning towards the Nightfury cam from LR.
ECS, gave me a quote of 28 out the door tuned. And that was for the blower cam and all parts.
__________________
2012 1SS Camaro LS3 Inferno Orange
Mods: LSA Supercharger, 2.55 Pulley, Custom Boost Cam, ARH LTH 1 7/8, HFC, 3' Magnaflow Exhaust, JLT CAI, Elite CC V2, BO White Stage 2 TB, GM 3.91 Gears, DSS CF Driveshaft, BMR Bushing Kit.... . Tuned by JTM Motorsports 540 Hp 550Tq on 9PSI

Axles, Monster Clutch, Hotchkis TVS Track Pack kit.......For 2018.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:01 PM   #38
CookieMobster502
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Yonkers, NY
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
Two year old thread guys.
If someone comments on an old thread, they get reminded of how it is but God forbid if someone makes a post about something that's already been discussed. Make up your minds.
CookieMobster502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:55 PM   #39
Gunmetal Speedster


 
Gunmetal Speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Middletown, Ohio
Posts: 2,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMobster502 View Post
If someone comments on an old thread, they get reminded of how it is but God forbid if someone makes a post about something that's already been discussed. Make up your minds.
Better to search and comment on an old one than make a new one
__________________
504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:23 AM   #40
toehead93


 
Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: wpb fl
Posts: 3,137
As many have stated it is a 6-8 hour job at $100/ hour you should be paying $600-$800 plus tune which is about $400 max. That is $1,400 max.
__________________
Used Racing Brake 2 Peice Rotors for sale:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344754

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:32 AM   #41
deano1989
 
deano1989's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 88
After I install my LTs my next project is going to be new cams. I have an automatic 2010 SS. TSP has stage 1 cams that don't require removing the cylinder heads or lifters, so I was wondering what the installation cost might be; I would assume it would be a lot cheaper than what others have posted on here. I'm curious to know if anyone else has installed these cams on their automatic and what the cost of installing them was.

Here's the link:
https://www.texas-speed.com/p-780-te...-camshaft.aspx
deano1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:46 AM   #42
go_go_gadget88
 
go_go_gadget88's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Kansas
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano1989 View Post
After I install my LTs my next project is going to be new cams. I have an automatic 2010 SS. TSP has stage 1 cams that don't require removing the cylinder heads or lifters, so I was wondering what the installation cost might be; I would assume it would be a lot cheaper than what others have posted on here. I'm curious to know if anyone else has installed these cams on their automatic and what the cost of installing them was.

Here's the link:
https://www.texas-speed.com/p-780-te...-camshaft.aspx
How many miles do you have? Just because you don't HAVE to pull the lifters, doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good idea if you are getting up there in miles. I've seen many AFM lifters fail on stock engines, let alone modified.

Just my $.02
__________________
2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP .660" Dual Springs | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | Powell Bronze Trunnion bushings | 3.91's | BC Catch Can
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cam Question / Cost Arsenal11 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 20 12-10-2011 11:38 PM
Cunningham Motorsports Cam install Packages Ryne @ CMS V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes 13 01-06-2011 05:35 PM
Another L99 cam question....VVT! SS-screamer Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 90 06-28-2010 06:41 PM
g6x3 cam install mtm864 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 32 06-09-2010 09:12 PM
Step by step instructions cam install LS1 Onetime Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 4 06-04-2010 10:14 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.