Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-27-2016, 01:45 AM   #1
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
help with suspension upgrades

Hello guys, I'm a long time member but new 5th gen Camaro owner. I know my suspension for the 4th gen, but for the 5th gen I don't know much. I want to upgrade for track racing, but she'll also be my daily driver. Im debating going with coil overs but don't know of what brand to use. has anyone had any experience with this setup.

http://www.carid.com/2013-chevy-cama...-43150062.html

anyway I'm trying to put together a list and parts and prices. So any recommended manufacturers or upgrades would be great.
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:11 AM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
What year Camaro? Trim? Convertible?

In general the biggest ways to improve the Camaro's handling is through sway bars, rear cradle bushings, coil-overs/springs; radius rod (front trailing arm) bushings/inserts, rear upper control bushings and rear toe-rods/bushings.

For sway bars, if you have a 2010 or 2011 then look into getting the newer (2012+) style rear lower control arms (and drop links) so you can use the newer style rear sway bar (mounts on the outside of the springs rather than inside); for the bar itself you have the 1LE or ZL1 rear bar (keep your factory front), or you can look into aftermarket for both - I recommend Justice Pete's sway bars as that's what I have and holy tits do they ever make a difference!

For rear cradle bushings, I guess solid aluminium would be ideal for the track, and Pegasus probably has the best price for these - I don't have these yet but plan to go with Pegasus.

Don't know much about coil-overs but if you're tracking and streeting you may want something with separate ride height and spring rate adjustments (or are they all like this?).

For the radius rod you can go with bushings or inserts; I plan to go with inserts as I've heard better things (more effective, easier to install) about them than straight bushing replacements; Justice Pete makes inserts, or you can try to get some factory Z28 ones; these will help with steering response/confidence.

For the rear upper control arm you can go after market or try to get some Z28 ones, and if you're doing the cradle bushings you'll probably want to do these at the same time as the install process is similar, and these are relatively cheap.

For the toe rod you can go with the factory 1LE/ZL1 style or aftermarket - if streeting then the factory ones might be best in case you get side-swiped or kiss a curb (factory rods will be weaker and bend instead of your frame bending).
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:10 PM   #3
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
TFord, easy solution and probably most economical:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...FYhqfgodgrcH1g

It's the suspension package off of the Camaro 1LE which is a great setup and OEM too.

"These Chevrolet Performance 1LE track packs feature the same suspension components used in the production 1LE performance package. They include a larger 27mm solid front stabilizer bar and a 28mm solid rear stabilizer bar for improved body roll, re-tuned front struts and new monotube rear shocks for improved body and wheel control, and stiffer toe links and rear shock mounts for improved performance. The Chevrolet Performance 1LE track packs work with production chassis controls, including StabiliTrak, traction control, and antilock brakes, and will not void the vehicle warranty."
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:20 AM   #4
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
sorry its a 2013 camaro SS RS hardtop
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote