Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #141
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
My routine for the last couple years is twice a day for an hour each time. First workout is 15 min cardio followed my 45 min moderate lifting, 2nd workout or the day is 45 min heavy cardio and finish up the liflting. I do this 5 days a week. Not as stout as i used to be but at 50 i can still throw up 275 lbs on the bench 12 times, shoulder press 225 x 7 reps on the smith machine, max out the pull down stack at 300# x 10 reps. dumbell curls with up to 70# dumbells x 8 reps. and all the various supporting lifts.

I was at my strongest about 8 years ago but found out that the supporting tissues are not as pliable as they used to be. Really had to modify my routines for higher reps and lighter weights.. Nowadays keep my reps to the 6-10 range with an appropriate weight that I am almost to failure at teh end of the set.

Thank God for vitamin M! Motrin
I'm impressed!

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #142
Renegade
Banned

Drives: Camaro SS Edition
Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYDLIFECRISIS View Post
I feel for ya man. I know how debilitating an injury cam be to someone like us that likes to workout. I lucked out, and so far my shoulder has taken everything I throw at it. I hope someday your shoulder lets you get back at it!
How much you bench?
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #143
Ghost1LE

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
I worked out earlier today. It was Arm Day (I just started doing arms the past two weeks, really working on getting bigger arms cause mine are small)

Anyways, I see a lot of impressive numbers from some people, pretty crazy numbers really, but I'm 18 so maybe I'll get there in a few years, I've been at it for about 6 months now, I was always overweight since I was a kid like 30-50 Lbs until last year, started playing basketball in the gym for 2-3 hours a day, went from 200 lbs to about 140 (I didn't lift at all during this time, BIG Mistake on my part). Now it's just been trying to gain muscle mass for 6 months, I'm at 155 and the goal is to get down to 140 and be as cut as possible and lift more than ever.

My diet is pretty strict and I've been seeing good gains the past month since I started eating right, BUT my bench press has been very slow to improve I'm still at 60-70's for dumbbells for a few working sets. Really weak (I have a bad shoulder, so no Barbell for me)

Any tips to really getting my Bench up? I workout 5 days a week and I'm just starting to jog 6 miles a day to lose the weight, since I've been bulking for awhile.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #144
MYDLIFECRISIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
How much you bench?
Pre-injury...315 4-6 times on the 5th set of a pyramid, getting 365 twice on strong days.

Post-injury, shoulder surgery...(present, after not working out for 4 1/2 years)...I get 275 up once on the 7-8 set of a pyramid. Been back in the gym for 3 1/2 months now. Struggled to get 135 10 times my first day back.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #145
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYDLIFECRISIS View Post
Pre-injury...315 4-6 times on the 5th set of a pyramid, getting 365 twice on strong days.

Post-injury, shoulder surgery...(present, after not working out for 4 1/2 years)...I get 275 up once on the 7-8 set of a pyramid. Been back in the gym for 3 1/2 months now. Struggled to get 135 10 times my first day back.
sounds like you are making good gains
Old 10-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #146
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
Thank God for vitamin M! Motrin
Amen! I go the 'fist-full-o-Advil" route.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #147
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I don't feel like exercising this morning, yet I am getting geared up to do so. I must be back on track.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #148
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
I try to run in one 5K event a month time permitting. Had a personal best of 20:04 in May before the heat of summer set in. Currently nursing a nagging back injury so the treadmill has been put on the back burner-no pun intendedWill be moving up to the 50-54 age group next year and am looking forward to breaking into the 19's with some hard work. I started running 5 years ago when I found out I was diabetic and try to get in 3-4 miles a day with a day off every 5 days or so.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #149
MYDLIFECRISIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznts View Post
sounds like you are making good gains
Thanks. I was very happy when I was able to go back in the gym, and the shoulder responded well.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #150
Renegade
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
I don't feel like exercising this morning, yet I am getting geared up to do so. I must be back on track.
Hardcore man...proud of ya. Hows ya weekend?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #151
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Just got back from hanging out with my parents. It has been a great weekend. I will do my workout tomorrow and stay indoors for the few days following tomorrow because we have rain in the forecast.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #152
Renegade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
Just got back from hanging out with my parents. It has been a great weekend. I will do my workout tomorrow and stay indoors for the few days following tomorrow because we have rain in the forecast.
I just got back from the gym. had boxing class feeling good right now.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #153
Anti_Rice_Guy

Drives: 95 Camaro Z28 convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
I totally hear ya actually on the differences between dumbbell and bench press! I actually stopped bench for awhile to focus on dumbbell. Got my numbers up pretty high. Then I went back to bench, and I struggled to get even 225 lbs goin! It's crazy how the same type of movement in a different configuration can make such a difference!
That's strange. Once in every 5-6 months I'll do a bar bench and can always do more than dumbbell since you don't have to balance the weight. I much prefer dumbbell (I do supinating chest press on flat and inclines).

Support Team FARM in it's charity endeavors!
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #154
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY1STCAMAR0 View Post
How many of y'all actually bench the right way?

No arched back, not going all the way down to where the bar touches your chest? A lot of big #'s here which I rarely see at the gym let alone doing the right form.

Proper form for me is very important. If I can't perform a lift with proper form it's obviously too heavy and need to back down and work up to it. Unfortunately in my case I learned about bad form the hard way when I tore a ligament in my left shoulder and dropped the bar (355lbs) on my left chest and cracked two ribs. I never got the corrective surgery so it has hindered my performance to this day. I've learned to work around it though. The ligament reattached itself but in the wrong spot. I could get the surgery now but there is no 100% guarantee it will be right. I can still use my shoulder I just can't flat bench heavy amounts with a bar or it pops out of place and it's nit fun trying to pop my shoulder back in at the gym. I have to use dumbbells so I can position my arms in a different angle. Incline and decline bench with a bar is fine.

That incident also taught me the importance of using a spotter, and a spotter that knows what the heck they're doing. On every heavy lift I do I always have a spotter even if I know the lift is simple. A spotter is also great for helping you push to your limit. If your doing bench for example and get 8 reps in and know you won't get a full rep in for number 9 your spotter is there to help you get that extra rep in.

I always get a kick out of the guys at the gym lifting with improper form. My 2 favorites are the badass on the bench press that bounces the bar off his chest and then arches his back during the back. Not only is it extremely dangerous to be bouncing that weight off your chest but your just asking for snow injury. 2nd is the guy doing tricep pull downs that instead of keeping their upper arms in line with their sides and bending at the elbows using controlled movements they just yank it down using the whole arms. Hard to explain it but anybody that's been to a gym has seen that guy. Might as well throw in the badass bicep guy who does dumbbell curls by swinging his arms like s pendulum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY1STCAMAR0 View Post
Have you ever used chains on the end of each bar when you bench? I've seen a few guys do it, I'd assume its for resistance but what benefits does that give you? I was tempted to try it but just haven't.
I use chains in my lifts. Like Wheelman SS stated, it increases the difficulty of your lift the closer to the peak of the lift you get. The higher you lift the bar, the more chain comes off the ground increasing the weight. Plus it just sounds awesome when the chains are clanking around and you look like a badass (or a crazy person) walking into the gym with two big ass chains over your shoulders.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote